Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bike won't start, battery good, loud ding *videos*

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:01 AM
bobbyw47
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike won't start, battery good, loud ding *videos*

Went to a bike night Saturday night. Time to leave, bike wouldn't start. Tried to jump it no luck. Had battery tested, it's fine. Pulled my car battery, connected it to bike, still no start. When I turn switch to Acc things light up. When I turn to IGN I hear a loud ping or ding as well as clicks. When try to start it, the lights flicker 3 or 4 times and I hear clicks with the lights, then everything goes dead. I posted videos of what's happening here on youtube. Anybody have any ideas? Diagnosing electrical problems is not my strength.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ9DF9w3-Dg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR2qok8uU1w

Old 05-09-2011, 10:50 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a circuit breaker tripping to me. What has been worked on lately? Have you had the switch housings off. You probably have a short someplace. Most likely place to look is the last thing you worked on.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:02 AM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy had the same issue.....it turned out to be the positive battery cable....it looked fine on both ends but, inside the cable it had corroded and was only making a connection strong enough to run lights but as soon as you hit the ignition click click click....Funny thing is, a guy on the scene kept saying sounds like maybe the positive battery cable is shot and we blew him off saying we had used and Ohm meter to check it....he used some thick wiring to bypass the positive cable to the starter and she cranked right up.....DOH!!!!

Old 05-09-2011, 11:28 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo
My buddy had the same issue.....it turned out to be the positive battery cable....it looked fine on both ends but, inside the cable it had corroded and was only making a connection strong enough to run lights but as soon as you hit the ignition click click click....Funny thing is, a guy on the scene kept saying sounds like maybe the positive battery cable is shot and we blew him off saying we had used and Ohm meter to check it....he used some thick wiring to bypass the positive cable to the starter and she cranked right up.....DOH!!!!
But it sounds like he gets only one click as soon as he turns it to ignition, not the click, click, click, and it happens before he even touches the starter button I think. It still sounds like a breaker tripping to me. I'd be looking for a short. Pinched wire in the switch housing or a wire that had the insulation rubbed thru somewhere.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:34 AM
bobbyw47
6th Gear
Default I found it

rh8234, you were correct, there was a short. It was on the right, below the oil tank. I found a wire pinched between the oil tank and the round, chrome thing below it. The wire was frayed and it must have been intermittently touching the oil tank and shorting. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Bike won't start, battery good, loud ding *videos*-frayed.jpg  
Old 05-10-2011, 11:31 AM
noslentx
Novice
Default Bike won't idle

I have been running a Thunder Max Tuner ECM on my 07 Ultra Classic for about 3 years with no problems. Couple of weeks ago I tried to start bike and couldn't. It cranked hard but would not turn over. Of course I checked the codes on TMAX and saw none. I found out that by giving it some trottle when starting it would start and bike runs normally until I come to a stop and motor will stall unless I keep giving it some gas. I disconnected the TMAX and connected stock ECM and have the same starting and no idle results. I am starting to believe something is wrong with the IAC or some sensor having to do with the idling process. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by noslentx; 05-10-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:41 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by bobbyw47
rh8234, you were correct, there was a short. It was on the right, below the oil tank. I found a wire pinched between the oil tank and the round, chrome thing below it. The wire was frayed and it must have been intermittently touching the oil tank and shorting. Thanks.
I am glad it got worked out for you and I would like to thank you for posting the ultimate solution!!! Posting the solutions to these problems is helpful to everyone else on the board, and sometimes folks do not take the time to do that. Ride safe!