Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

07 Harley FLSTSC & Dobeck TFI

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 02:23 AM
PTS
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Harley FLSTSC & Dobeck TFI

When I bought my 07 I was disgusted how the bike was running. The rear cylinder temp was way hot due to a very lean condition and it sounded like hell. This weekend I installed the Dobeck TFI and now the hight heat problem is gone and this thing will finally run and idle properly. Warning fellas the 07's are lean as hell from the factory and my best description would be how a fuel injected race car sounds when they shut the fuel down at the end of the quarter mile. Rest assured there is a easy fix for 07 owners and it is the Dobeck unit. Very easy plug and play install.

Perry

Old 10-23-2006, 03:19 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 07 Harley FLSTSC & Dobeck TFI

I just put the Dobeck 1440ST on my 07. I found that raising my mode 1 (idle & cruise) up a half number above Dobecks settings made it even stronger. Something you might want to experiment with.
David

Old 10-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Spartan
Road Captain

According to their website, the TFI unit "relies on the stock factory fuel map and cannot function effectively if any other manipulation has already been entered into the existing system." That rules out many of us since several have either had their ECM flashed or altered with a SERT. Glad to hear that it seems to be working our for you.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Travler
Cruiser

Do the TFI's come w/ a O2 eliminator? If not, how does it keep the factory ECM from constantly trying to reset to factory lean specs? I've used TFI's on other bikes (w/o O2 sensors) and they work quite well for what I wanted.... too "un-lean" the bike. Any info appreciated.

Travler[sm=shades.gif]

Old 10-29-2006, 11:25 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Travler

Do the TFI's come w/ a O2 eliminator? If not, how does it keep the factory ECM from constantly trying to reset to factory lean specs? I've used TFI's on other bikes (w/o O2 sensors) and they work quite well for what I wanted.... too "un-lean" the bike. Any info appreciated.

Travler[sm=shades.gif]
The new "stealth" TFI's do not eliminate the O2 sensors. They "piggyback" the O2 sensors and the injectors. It's a totally different technology from the older TFI units with the four pots to adjust.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Travler
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: grandpawmoses

Travler[sm=shades.gif]
The new "stealth" TFI's do not eliminate the O2 sensors. They "piggyback" the O2 sensors and the injectors. It's a totally different technology from the older TFI units with the four pots to adjust.
I appreciate the reply..

I guess what I'm wondering' is.... Is the ECM counteracting or trying to counteract what the TFI is doing?... It would seem to me (redneck logic here)... that the TFI is richenin' things up, makin' the engine all happy, and the ECM is sayin'... Hey, we can't have this, and doin' something to negate/ try to negate the TFI's action...... I hope this makes sense

[sm=shades.gif]

Old 10-29-2006, 11:48 PM
RED E GLIDE
Tourer

Travler, I like your signature pic! Have you tried the religious discusion and debate tread yet? It is a sub under political.
Have a revtech DFO on my 05 E-Glide. Your question makes perfect sense to me. I don't know the answer.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Travler
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: RED E GLIDE

Travler, I like your signature pic! Have you tried the religious discusion and debate tread yet? It is a sub under political.
Have a revtech DFO on my 05 E-Glide. Your question makes perfect sense to me. I don't know the answer.
Thanks Red! I've dropped in the religious section a time or two. I'm not into the argument thing... I know how them "discussions" can go[sm=grinangel.gif] .. I need to drop in & look around again... I ain't been in a while

I'm glad that my question makes some sense... that in itself help...

[sm=smiley16.gif]

Old 10-30-2006, 04:03 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

Honest answer, I don't know 100%. My feedback from Dobeck is that the ECU doesn't know that the TFI is there and goes about its merry way of doing what it's supposed to do. The TFI gathers its own information and only extends the injector pulses to richen the mix. The downside is that it can only richen up the mix, never lean it out as a PCIII can but the upside is because it is piggy-back, if it ever fails, it won't leave you on the side of the road.

Travler[sm=shades.gif]
I appreciate the reply..

I guess what I'm wondering' is.... Is the ECM counteracting or trying to counteract what the TFI is doing?... It would seem to me (redneck logic here)... that the TFI is richenin' things up, makin' the engine all happy, and the ECM is sayin'... Hey, we can't have this, and doin' something to negate/ try to negate the TFI's action...... I hope this makes sense

[sm=shades.gif]

Old 10-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Travler
Cruiser

Honest answer, I don't know 100%. My feedback from Dobeck is that the ECU doesn't know that the TFI is there and goes about its merry way of doing what it's supposed to do. The TFI gathers its own information and only extends the injector pulses to richen the mix. The downside is that it can only richen up the mix, never lean it out as a PCIII can but the upside is because it is piggy-back, if it ever fails, it won't leave you on the side of the road.

Travler[sm=shades.gif]
I appreciate the reply..

[sm=shades.gif]
Thanks for the reply GPM. I posted a simular question on Techlusion's site. It will be interesting to see what they say. As far as not being able to lean the mixture..... it doesn't appear to be a problem w/ the 07's, as they seem pretty dog-gone lean to start with. I ran the Cobra version of the TFI/DFO on a VTX... of course there were no O2 sensors to think about... But it did the job well & never fail to work.

I do find it encouraging that you're happy w/ your's & it helped your scooter. How bad did it dip your MPG?

Thanks for the help

Travler[sm=smiley16.gif]

Quick Reply: 07 Harley FLSTSC & Dobeck TFI