Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS CAA 176 map - be careful

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 09:47 PM
billybobber
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTS CAA 176 map - be careful

FWIW,
My set up is almost dead on to the mods this map is set up for and my bike pinged like hell when accelerating. I just hope no permanent damage was done......I took it easy and limped on home once i realized it was detonation- it's a wierd high pitched tinging sound. Tuners around here are not up to speed to correctly tune TTS so I guess it's up to me to figure out how to V tune now.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:57 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by billybobber
FWIW,
My set up is almost dead on to the mods this map is set up for and my bike pinged like hell when accelerating. I just hope no permanent damage was done......I took it easy and limped on home once i realized it was detonation- it's a wierd high pitched tinging sound. Tuners around here are not up to speed to correctly tune TTS so I guess it's up to me to figure out how to V tune now.
When you say it is almost dead on, what isn't the same? Do you have differn't cams than what the MAP calls for? Usually the detonation (spark knock) occurs because the ignition timing is advanced too much, you can elimnat it by retarding the areas (in you timing tables) where the spark knock occurs. Vtune doean't do anything for ignition tables, only the VE tables. If you want to Vtune, start with a MAP that is for the same cams as your, then find a close one for the rest of the build and tune from there.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:13 PM
billybobber
Cruiser

Yes, the cams are the only difference, The map callls for SE 255's and I'm running the new 48H which are very close in spec but not a perfect match.

I have already reloaded another map that doesnt ping at all but now it farts through the carb and hesitates when rolling out from a stop until the motor is fully warmed up- then it runs just fine.
Not many tuners in San Antonio are TTS savy which is making it tough to dial things in....
Any pointers to clean up the cold hesitation issue until I find a reliabel tuner here??

I have never vtuned before and it seems complicated; even more so with the new cam selector function. I have no problem diving in but confidence level is low

Old 04-20-2011, 06:08 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, the cams are the only difference, The map callls for SE 255's and I'm running the new 48H which are very close in spec but not a perfect match.

I have already reloaded another map that doesnt ping at all but now it farts through the carb and hesitates when rolling out from a stop until the motor is fully warmed up- then it runs just fine.
Not many tuners in San Antonio are TTS savy which is making it tough to dial things in....
Any pointers to clean up the cold hesitation issue until I find a reliabel tuner here??

I have never vtuned before and it seems complicated; even more so with the new cam selector function. I have no problem diving in but confidence level is low
It would be really hard to help with your "cold hesitation". I would have to know what throttle position, RPM and MAP load it is in when you are ehaving the problem. Your best bet would be to study up on the Vtune. It's really not that bad once you get into it. It sounds like it is running too rich during your warmup enrichment (at least in the lower RPM's. You could copy and paste some of the cells from the VE tables on the last MAP you were running into the VE tables in the new one. Like throttle positions from 2% up to 15% from 1000 RPM's to 2500 RPM's (or wherever your hesitation occurs). Or you could copy and paste the timing tables from the new one into the old one and try that MAP. Maybe the 70 and up. (that's more than likely where your spark knock was occuring.

Last edited by harleytuner; 04-20-2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:28 PM
billybobber
Cruiser

Originally Posted by harleytuner
You could copy and paste some of the cells from the VE tables on the last MAP you were running into the VE tables in the new one. Like throttle positions from 2% up to 15% from 1000 RPM's to 2500 RPM's (or wherever your hesitation occurs). .
That helped out immensely!! Almost pefrect now!! Thanks so much.....

Old 04-24-2011, 09:43 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

That helped out immensely!! Almost pefrect now!! Thanks so much.....
No problem. Glad it helped.