Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Battery, Alternator, or Both??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 09:53 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Battery, Alternator, or Both??

I haven't had any starting issues until today (it was 30 degrees this morning). I HAVE had issues however, with my headlight getting dimmer at lower RPM, and no matter WHAT RPM, I have noticed that when I turn a blinker on, the headlight flickers (dims) when the blinker comes on.

I have been told that is more than likely a battery in need of replacing (which based on the no-start this morning, I would tend to agree with).

Could a battery in need of replacement also contribute to the headlight dimming when the blinkers are on, or is that an indicator of low output from the alternator?

Old 10-19-2006, 10:18 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Battery, Alternator, or Both??

here's what you need to do.
1. take the battery and have it load tested at an auto parts store. You will then know if you have to replace.
2. be sure all connections and grounds are clean.
3. to check the stator (alternator) you need a multi-meter with the scale set to ohms Rx1. Disconnect the stator plug from the regulator. Now touch the leads from the meter to each side of the stator connector. you should read 1 to 2 ohms. any more than that and the stator is bad. Now with the red (+) lead of the meter in one side of the stator connector and the black (-) lead touching ground, check the meter. it should be infinity (no reading) if you have a reading, the stator is fried. Do the same on the other side of stator connector.
4. Regulator check; with a test light, ground the test light and touch the probe end to one side of the connector to the regulator from the stator. if the light shows even the faintest glow, you have a fried regulator. do the same on the other side of the connector.

There are more extensive teste, this is the qwik and dirty test.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your battery is failing, it can become a load just like the headlamp. The battery is the easiest and cheapest component to replace, so I would start there. Once the new battery is in, you'll need a multimeter to troubleshoot further. If voltage at the battery is higher than 12 volts (should be around 13.8) and steady, regardless of rpm the problem was the battery. If your voltage fluctuates with rpm, the problem is the voltage regulator. If the issue with the turnsignal and headlight continue, I would suspect a loose contact or frayed wire.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:37 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I pulled the battery out today after work, and found that it was purchase in Feb of 02, so it is at least 4 yrs old. There are no battery tender leads on the bike, so my guess is going to be that it was truly treated as "maintenance free", and never had a charger or tender put to it.

Bought a new battery, and more than likely will buy a battery tender, or at least a 1 amp trickle charger to put on it. If that doesn't solve the headlight dimming problem, I will pursue the advice given re the stator and regulator. Thnx for the advice !!!