Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

MM FI Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:40 PM
GlideWylie
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MM FI Injectors

My 97 Ultra gets only 32 mpg if I'm lucky at 60-70 mph. Did a Dyno pull only and the graph showed a heavy fuel load from about 1800 - 3000 rpm. Then it goes where it should and finishes up with good numbers. It tends to take forever to "warm up" so you can ride without serious bogging in that range. Harley guy that did the pull (not saying he was a tech) said there are 2 injectors for the EVO. Red (racing) and black (stock). I have the "Red". No seal leaks. Suggested I change the Injectors back to stock. Don't know if this is good info or not. Any body got any ideas?

Old 04-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The red ones are generally installed with the performance enhancement packages. If your bike is stock, the black ones should surely run a bit leaner. It's like sticking bigger jets in a carburetor and doing nothing else. Just because they will pass more gas doesn't mean the bike will run any better at all and maybe even worse.

I have had two EVO EFI Dressers that were stock and always managed well over 40 MPG. Most of the TC's I know about in stock dress get 40 and above. Now as for mine...I'm closer to you but I have a 95 inch TC full stage II with the red injectors.

Take a look at your breather and see if you have a stage I or II upgrade. If not, making breather improvements could help as well as a pipe change. If you purchased the bike new, you would know what you had, but if it was a used bike at purchase....who knows who did what to it. I think you need to figure out what you have in terms of breather, MAP, pipes and cam. I would not install the smaller injectors until I knew what I had.....may make it run too lean if you don't.

Got to tell this story about a 96 EFI I had. I put BUB pipes on the thing and never touched anything else, or even recalibrate the ECU. The thing would routinely get 50MPG and as high as 55 on the 2-lanes around 55-60. I kept a close watch on the plugs to make sure I was not burning anything down. I sold it to a guy that loved it....until he got talked into some "performance enhancements". Mileage went to he!!, bike never ran as good as before and he got rid of it as soon as he could.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GlideWylie
My 97 Ultra gets only 32 mpg if I'm lucky at 60-70 mph. Did a Dyno pull only and the graph showed a heavy fuel load from about 1800 - 3000 rpm. Then it goes where it should and finishes up with good numbers. It tends to take forever to "warm up" so you can ride without serious bogging in that range. Harley guy that did the pull (not saying he was a tech) said there are 2 injectors for the EVO. Red (racing) and black (stock). I have the "Red". No seal leaks. Suggested I change the Injectors back to stock. Don't know if this is good info or not. Any body got any ideas?
My suggestion would be to go back to the black injectors and buy a tuner for it. My bike is nowhere near stock, black injectors with a Fuelpak and I get 43 mpg.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:08 AM
GlideWylie
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info Guys. Thanks a lot. I probably left out some info. It has a Stage II upgrade and the HD slash slipons. Just did the reseal of the top end and tech claims it's a Big Bore conversion. May explain the Red injectors. Has the PCIII tuner. The only thing I've done is changed the pipes to '06 Ultra cans. One thing for sure, whatever has been done to it, once it gets above 2800 rpm, this bitch flies and pulls like a monster. Had 1340's and nothing runs like this one. I just would like a little better mpg and the bogging done away with. I'll look into both ideas. Thanks again. Glenn