Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Speed/Odometer Probs....

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 07:59 PM
PDRoadking
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed/Odometer Probs....

Hey all!! First post here, and of course, it's a problem. I have a 00 Police Road King and besides my family, it's my pride and joy. The speedometer is intermittent and the odometer mainly reads 0 or .7, though it has read "ERROR" fairly often. I realize that it is an odd "problem" to have.....going from 26K to .7miles on the reading..I'd like to get it back to mint, regardless of the reading. The winter is starting up here in Northeast so I have time to dive into it and try to figure it out before the spring thaw, but I'm just kinda looking for some direction. Does anyone have any insight or dealt with this kind of thing in the past? Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks! Rubber Down!!

Old 10-17-2006, 07:07 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Speed/Odometer Probs....

PD ~

One common problem with the Speedo is havnig metal shavings (from the tranny) collect on the sensor.

On that bike, you'll find the sensor on top of the tranny below where the rear exhaust attaches to the head. It's a black "oval shaped plug" that has a wire coming out from one end and is held in place by a single allen bolt. Remove that allen bolt and twist (back & forth) on the sensor as you pull up on it. Chances are, you'll find a good bit of metal shavings accumulated on the end of it. wipe those off and replace the sensor and allen bolt.

THis may or may not be the problem, but it is a very common cause of intermittent speedo readings.

Good luck!

Old 10-17-2006, 07:26 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

This may help you out here

Old 10-18-2006, 07:30 PM
PDRoadking
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil & Glide...Thanks. That will be my first, and hopefully my last, stop to get it working right. I think I'm gonna like this forum.