Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

lights go out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:05 AM
cmdindy
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lights go out?

Please help! I've got a problem that hurt my riding time last fall. I have a 98 heritage softail and while going down the road all my lights will flicker a couple of times and then go completely out. I've tried to figure out if it depends on the conditions I'm riding in (heat, rough roads, long ride, etc) but nothing is consistent. The lights might stay out a few seconds or a very long time? I'm guessing its a short somewhere but where? I've taken the seat off and checked the fuses and wiring for loose connections or corrosion, but found nothing. If I could get the lights to go out while in the garage it would be great, but I cant. Please help. I hate having to make sure I'm home by dark.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cmdindy
Please help! I've got a problem that hurt my riding time last fall. I have a 98 heritage softail and while going down the road all my lights will flicker a couple of times and then go completely out. I've tried to figure out if it depends on the conditions I'm riding in (heat, rough roads, long ride, etc) but nothing is consistent. The lights might stay out a few seconds or a very long time? I'm guessing its a short somewhere but where? I've taken the seat off and checked the fuses and wiring for loose connections or corrosion, but found nothing. If I could get the lights to go out while in the garage it would be great, but I cant. Please help. I hate having to make sure I'm home by dark.
Pull your headlight and check the plug.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cmdindy
Well, you say "all the lights", so I'm thinking it has to be the main lighting circuit coming out of the fuse box. Have you tried replacing the lighting Fuse? Sometimes you can have a weak fuse that looks ok, but can be intermittant.

Did you make any modifications prior to the problem starting?

As you already know, something like this can be really hard to find. The wire could be broke inside the covering so you can't see it.

If it were me, I would start at the fuse box and work out from there.

Good luck

Old 03-16-2011, 08:03 PM
cmdindy
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will definitely give your suggestions a try. Thanks for the help.