Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 05:17 PM
dynaulv
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Log Tuner and WinPV problem

Gozzie and JetD:

The problem is that Log Tuner expects to find two XML-tag in the .pvv-file like:

<Item name="VE (Front Cyl)" units="">
<Item name="VE (Rear Cyl)" units="">

The latest WinPV, however, produces the new tags like:
<Item name="VE (TPS based/Front Cyl)" units="">
<Item name="VE (TPS based/Rear Cyl)" units="">

Log tuner therefore complains that it does not find the VE table in the
.pvv - file.
I am sure this will be fixed soon, and while we are waiting for a fix,
we could of course roll back to an earlier version of WinPV.

Personally I prefer to use Notepad to search for "VE" to find the
two tags in the .pvv-file, and just erase "TPS base/" from both
of them.
Then Logtuner works as usual.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:30 PM
clutchglass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Vision AT-Pro Wide band problem

In march I installed a power vision, and an auto-tune pro wideband O2 sensor package on my 2009 Harley Electra Glide (FLHTCU). The unit and wideband O2 sensors have been working GREAT. I normally have the unit set to display gauges on start up. The gauge settings include display of "AFR1" and "AFR2" readings.

This morning I started my bike up....and the "AFR1" and "AFR2" don't display anything??? Normally they read "0" for a few seconds after the bike starts, and then begin to read. This morning however they didn't display anything in the "AFR1" and "AFR2" fields (not even a "0") those fields were just blank.

I checked all of my connections and everything seems fine. All other fields I try (even "desired AFR") seem to work OK. I did also try to get it to display "Lambda1" and "Lambda2"...but those fields also display nothing. It seems to me this is a problem with either the wideband O2 sensors, or auto-tune pro module. Anybody got any ideas?
-Clutch-
PS I've already sent a message to fuel moto from their web site. I bought it there (and wouldn't recommend buying from anyone else)...I've bought a lot of stuff from them over the last few years, and been happy every time. I'm sure to get a satisfactory resolution out of them (and will post it here). I just figured I'd see if anyone else has had this problem?

Old 10-03-2013, 10:08 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston Chris
Mike...Im getting the same thing. I sould go back and explain what i did first. My bike was running fine but i went back to the original map supplyed by fuelmoto. I did this so i could learn to use log tuner. Did a few auto tune runs, then started on the timing using log tuner. I have gone through 10 runs with log tuner for spark. it still pings. i am driving my self nuts. last night i went in and looked real hard at my log. What i think i am seeing is that the log shows knock events starting at 2600rpm. The log tuner is not pulling till 2750 cell. So what i think is happening is the log tuner is pulling timing in the wrong cell. Im going to call fuelmoto. talk to them about it. they will probably have me send them the logs. No problem. what i did was save each log and edited map of each run. I have a running history of this. But i think i see the problem. Like i said i think log tuner is pulling from the wrong cells. Might be that there is a lag. By the time the log tuner is catching my events it is ( making numbers up ) a second too late.
Please let us know what they say. I'm taking a few steps back with my tune. I don't know whats going on yet.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:30 PM
clutchglass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Vision/AT Pro/Wide Band O2 Problem

Post deleted by op

Last edited by clutchglass; 10-05-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:02 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thanks for the Tip

Originally Posted by dynaulv
Gozzie and JetD:

The problem is that Log Tuner expects to find two XML-tag in the .pvv-file like:

<Item name="VE (Front Cyl)" units="">
<Item name="VE (Rear Cyl)" units="">

The latest WinPV, however, produces the new tags like:
<Item name="VE (TPS based/Front Cyl)" units="">
<Item name="VE (TPS based/Rear Cyl)" units="">

Log tuner therefore complains that it does not find the VE table in the
.pvv - file.
I am sure this will be fixed soon, and while we are waiting for a fix,
we could of course roll back to an earlier version of WinPV.

Personally I prefer to use Notepad to search for "VE" to find the
of them.
Thanks for the tip. I just finished some more datalogging runs this evening and I am yet unable to process the logs as in the past; even with the firmware rolled back to "1254".

If I'm reading you correctly, rather than opening the cvs files in XL, use Notepad and open the pvv file, search for the "VE" and and erase the "TPS base/" from both of them.
However, since I am not tuning for VEs in log tuner, but for spark events to modify the spark tables, will changing the VE tables back work?
I'll give it a shot and see. Thanks again DynaULV... cheers.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:25 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DynaULV: Worked as Described

Originally Posted by dynaulv
Gozzie and JetD:

The problem is that Log Tuner expects to find two XML-tag in the .pvv-file...

...use Notepad to search for "VE" to find the
of them.
Dynault: Yes it did; worked flawlessly....

I've been working on random spark events for a week or so and the latest software/firmware updates from DJ to include the 2014s really disabled my tuning efforts.
This was a great tip! Thanks much. JetD...

Old 10-04-2013, 07:51 AM
Boston Chris
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fullautomike
Please let us know what they say. I'm taking a few steps back with my tune. I don't know whats going on yet.
Mike here is where im at now. I ran another log after making the changes log tuner wanted. this latest log had no knock events but i still hear knock between 2500 to 3100 rpm. In the 60 kpa area. i called fuelmoto. jamie was in the dyno room so the guy i talked to ( nice guy i didnt get his name ) took my name and number and told me jamie would call me back. He had me check to see that nothing was loose. ( heat sheilds and all) not that he didnt believe me but you know anyone can over look something. i went out and checked and nothing i found was loose. I am still waiting for jamie to call me back.

So now i guess i am at the same point you are. Ran 11 logs. the 11th log has no knock events...i think the bike is running a bit too hot and i can hear ping. Ill let you know what jamie tells me to do or look at.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:30 AM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

BostonChris.....(and all)

Here is where I'm at......Last month I was at the point where I was DL to remove all knock events. Well I did, bike was running good. I went back and added 1* from 1500-5000 in 30-80 KPA to see if I got any knock events. NONE, then I added 2* more, I got a few, very few and removed them with DL.
Before I continue, let me explain my thinking. Before this I rerouted my breather outside my air filter, ran a few tanks with MMO, then Seafoam, then Redline S1. I was thinking I might have had a carbon build up causing pinging. I'm at 12k on the motor with a stage one.
OK back to my tuning...All was well no more knock events, bike running strong and great. At the end of last week I started to hear some pinging under heavy acceleration, then all the time. But no knock events showed up?? I'm sure it was pinging. So I figured I went too far with the timing. First I pulled 1* over the 1500-5000 30-80 KPA. Still pinging, no knock events?? Then I went back to the tune before I added the timing and previously for over 500 miles had no pinging or knock events. Now I hear light pinging and do show many knock events.
I went to the spark tables and pulled timing from 2000 to 4000 area where I had knock events, this was the rear cylinder. Then I went and tried to analyze my spark tables. I pulled timing from a couple cells that had several or more degrees then the cells in the same rpm line with lesser. I did the same in the KPA colums going down.
I am going to do some log runs later today. What does not make sense is that the temperature is 10 to 40* cooler outside now!
Any thoughts?? I understand I could have added too much advance, so I pulled it all, but why does the old "good" tune now have knock events??
Mike

Old 10-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Boston Chris
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fullautomike
BostonChris.....(and all)

Here is where I'm at......Last month I was at the point where I was DL to remove all knock events. Well I did, bike was running good. I went back and added 1* from 1500-5000 in 30-80 KPA to see if I got any knock events. NONE, then I added 2* more, I got a few, very few and removed them with DL.
Before I continue, let me explain my thinking. Before this I rerouted my breather outside my air filter, ran a few tanks with MMO, then Seafoam, then Redline S1. I was thinking I might have had a carbon build up causing pinging. I'm at 12k on the motor with a stage one.
OK back to my tuning...All was well no more knock events, bike running strong and great. At the end of last week I started to hear some pinging under heavy acceleration, then all the time. But no knock events showed up?? I'm sure it was pinging. So I figured I went too far with the timing. First I pulled 1* over the 1500-5000 30-80 KPA. Still pinging, no knock events?? Then I went back to the tune before I added the timing and previously for over 500 miles had no pinging or knock events. Now I hear light pinging and do show many knock events.
I went to the spark tables and pulled timing from 2000 to 4000 area where I had knock events, this was the rear cylinder. Then I went and tried to analyze my spark tables. I pulled timing from a couple cells that had several or more degrees then the cells in the same rpm line with lesser. I did the same in the KPA colums going down.
I am going to do some log runs later today. What does not make sense is that the temperature is 10 to 40* cooler outside now!
Any thoughts?? I understand I could have added too much advance, so I pulled it all, but why does the old "good" tune now have knock events??
Mike

Mike....i just got off the phone with Jamie...wow that guy is real nice. was surprised how much he was willing to talk and figure this out.

ok...here is mny next step. Jamie said it might be my spark plugs or wires. I am not using stock plugs. I am using the NGK irrudium plugs. It might not fix it but it is a suspect. the other suspect is the spark wires. What it might turn out to be is misfires. so check your plugs and wires. Also. jamie said dont try to get every knock event out. He has seen cases that it creates non optimum timing. ( i take that as too much retarded timing in some areas ). Work within the range of the knock sensors was how it was put to me. if you get a few events ( making numbers up ) like a few 2 deg pulls here and there then your good. The knock sensors are probably set to 8 degs standard. he even told me that in his 107 build there can be some ( he called them ) odd minor knock events.

So there ya have it straight from the man him self. he will not be at fuel moto next week. he is going to dynojet. working on the 2014 stuff and he did mention the new updates not working right. if anyone needs to go back till they get the bugs worked out he said to contact dynojet or fuelmoto and they can assist in getting the back flash done for you.

so....off to get plugs...if that dont work...wires next.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:07 PM
camden
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston Chris
So there ya have it straight from the man him self. he will not be at fuel moto next week. he is going to dynojet. working on the 2014 stuff and he did mention the new updates not working right. if anyone needs to go back till they get the bugs worked out he said to contact dynojet or fuelmoto and they can assist in getting the back flash done for you.
Hmm. I have a 2014 Street Bob and just ordered a PV from FM. Any reason to wait until they get a handle on the software issues before I start using it or is the 2014 stuff you're referring to limited to the new touring changes.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread