Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 04:38 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Here are some suggestions I am sending tonight. Any comments by anyone are welcome:

1. The Lambda gauges make very rapid changes that make them hard to read, and it would be useful to have a sampling-rate adjustment. E.g., seeing the values change several times per second or other user-defined rate would be more useful than 50x/sec., or whatever we have now.

2. One suggestion from the forum is to create some practical method to keep track of knock-retard on a PV gauge. As it sits now this gauge isn’t very usable because knock events are (hopefully) rare and you can’t monitor this parameter while riding in any practical way. Perhaps it might show the last value >0.

3. How important is turning off DE and AE when tuning? How do you do it, zero-out all the values in the tables?

4. It would be very useful to have an option in WinPV called “Prepare for tuning,” which would do the following:
  • Automatically set the tables in the tune file that need to be disabled or otherwise changed. E.g., DE, AE, CL, etc.
  • Save the tune values needed (VE 1 & 2, AFR Set, Spark 1 & 2) to a user-specified PVV file.
5. Add a final step in PV Tune to apply the newly created value file to a tune. As it is now, to create a datalog and new tune we must enter WinPV, manually select the five tables needed and save them to a PVV file, do the tuning run, download the logs to the computer, enter PV Tune to process the changes to another PVV, then lastly enter WinPV again to apply them to a tune. I think this process could be simplified.

6. A gauge panel selection option in the PV. We now have perhaps 15 gauge panels to use, some of which are not readable in daylight (all analog gauges). I use several digital gauges only, and it would be nice if I could scroll through only those I want to see by means of a selection screen. Those selected are shown, those not selected will be omitted from the scroll view.
great points iclick.. the white digits in the gauge screen are difficult to see in daylight...as well as the simplified basic or autotune options...how about also an option to blank out screen when night driving..

Old 07-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

You could use the Closed-Loop Bias tables for that, but we should let Jamie, Dennis, or Hal lead that discussion, as I haven't worked with it at all and am running the AT-100 Pro at this time. I'm not sure how those tables work with PV Tune, but what little I know about the stock sensors I understand you're not locked into 14.6 and can adjust down to as low as ~14.2.
The lowest AFR after my dyno tuning is 13.8 (.94 Lambda)which results in the following Cruise range leaness which is getting me about 40mpg (rear cyl is a little richer to compensate for the additional heat). Can't imagine wanting to go leaning which is only going to create more heat. So unfortunately the Narrow band sensors aren't much help for PV Basic Tuning.

Front Cyl Cruise range

How much retard are you talking about? It really shouldn't make any difference at all in seat-of-the-pants performance, as if you are registering a knock event the ECM is retarding that amount up to the maximum specified. If PV Tune adjusts for this knock event it won't be pulling back timing as much as the knock event itself, or at least that's my experience with this '07.
As you can see from the Log Tuner's knock table the knock events are very small (less than 1 in all cases). There are 0 knock events in the rear cyl. That's why I was quite surprised when my seat performance was reduced and the only changes I made to my existing map were to copy the new spark table that the Log Tuner generated (based on the table below). Surprised that such a modest change would make a noticeable performance change so I went back to the spark table in my original map. That's what made me think the Log Tuner is overly agressive in its recommended timing reductions.

The problem I'm having is that in my case I see a knock event on the rear cylinder for every log, always around 60-70 KPA @ ~2000-2400 rpm, and it adjusts slightly every time. So far I'm not seeing much difference and continue to allow it to adjust, but am monitoring the situation. If it looks like it's going too far or doesn't eventually stop making adjustments I'll stop the process by unchecking the Spark Knock function before I load it into the tune. So far in quite a few PV Tune procedures I see mostly <1° of retard in only a few areas. I had manually bumped spark advance in the cruise range long ago, so I'm still no lower than stock levels.

I would be surprised if Basic and Pro are different, and my experience with Pro is that it makes very small changes for any given PV Tune procedure.
Sounds like you and I used the same process. If you have your original map still on the PV, you might consider do a short run with your original map (before spark adjustment) and then a short run with the map after your various spark adjustments. It would be interesting to see if you feel any noticeabe drop in performance between the original map and your spark adjusted map. I know I could definitely feel the difference.

Attached Thumbnails Power Vision Information Thread-front-cyl-cuise.jpg   Power Vision Information Thread-djs-afr-2010-se-ultra-converted.jpg   Power Vision Information Thread-fr-cyl-knock-table.jpg  

Last edited by Heatwave; 07-10-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Heatwave

I tried doing that for a while, but it wasn't practical for me. From my experience the event lasts only a short time, was intermittent, and you'd almost have to be looking at the display all the time to see them happen. Seeing them in the log file is the best way to check, IMO.
I agree. I think it would be next to impossible to observe a knock event on the PV as it's likely to be a split-second event before the knock retard kicks in and eliminates it.

Last edited by Heatwave; 07-10-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by papifun
great points iclick.. the white digits in the gauge screen are difficult to see in daylight...as well as the simplified basic or autotune options...how about also an option to blank out screen when night driving..

I keep 2 sets of the exact same guages . the first set is for daytime with a white background and black letters. This seems to be the best combination for daytime visbility. While this setup can still get washed out in very bright light, if you tilt the screen downwards it will improve the visibility.

For nighttime I keep a second set of the same guages (4-pk) ith an orange background and black letters. Works perfect for maintaining your night vision with a highly visible screen.

The arrows on the bottom of the screen make it very simple to transition between night and day guages.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:55 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by papifun
I found a good way to handle the gauges for night riding. Usually the light-on-black panel is followed by (or precedes) the black-on-light when scrolling through the various gauge panels. I use black-on-white for daylight and dark-orange-on-black for night. That way you can just click left or right to get a day or night gauge panel. Another idea might be to have a screen-dimming function of some sort. You can't do it like a GPS based on time of day, since the PV doesn't keep time, but maybe a software button on the screen. Or, make use of that red hardware button for that.

Last edited by iclick; 07-10-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:00 AM
fordomatic69
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sam2010
i second that.
Yes, having the ability to create your gauges while connected to the PC or an external USB Power Source would be the preferred.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:00 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 883_dave
I sure think that it would be nice to be able to use the PV unit itself while it is attached/being powered by my desktop/laoptop rather than just when the PV is being powered by the bike. For example, I would like to be able to set-up my guages, info to datalog, etc. using the PC to power the PV (in PC link mode). I really dislike sitting in my 100 degree+ garage with my bike ignition, lights, etc. on wasting my battery's charge while playing with the PV. I can understand why you can't access/flash the ECM without the bike powered-up, but I don't understand why we can't use the PV unit itself with the PC as a power source. Just a suggestion. Thanks.
I agree with you and sent that suggestion to DynoJet several weeks ago. I will let them know others are requesting that functionality as well.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:07 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

3. How important is turning off DE and AE when tuning? How do you do it, zero-out all the values in the tables?
You can tune and set the VEs without turning these off but to be the most accurate you should zero the AE and DE table while tuning. Yes, just zero all the values in those tables or you can change the Multiplier to 0 - has the same effect.

4. It would be very useful to have an option in WinPV called “Prepare for tuning,” which would do the following:
  • Automatically set the tables in the tune file that need to be disabled or otherwise changed. E.g., DE, AE, CL, etc.
  • Save the tune values needed (VE 1 & 2, AFR Set, Spark 1 & 2) to a user-specified PVV file.
DynoJet is actually working on a screen that does exactly this. It sets all the values as they should be for logging and pulls up a screen that monitors and marks the cells you have hit while riding. All you do is start the log and ride. I tested it several times and sent them suggestions. Works really well. We should probably see it in one of the releases soon.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:15 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently received my Power Vision and mounted it on the bike this weekend.

I've been playing with the gauges and noticed that the measurement IAT, which I think is intake air temperature, runs higher than I thought. I have the factory football cover and the Screaming Eagle back plate on my bike.

I went on a relatively short ride after mounting the unit on my bike over the weekend. The IAT ran from about 120°F or so when going down the road to 140° or so after stopped at a light for a few minutes.

This seems rather high to me. I've always heard that lowering IAT would help overall performance of an engine which is why there are a lot of cold air intake kits for cars.

Does IAT stand for intake air temperature? If so, are the results I observed normal for an Ultra with lowers? I'm wondering if replacing the football cover with something else such as HD 28728-10 http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US would lower the air temperature and potentially help overall performance?

Anyone have any thoughts on this subject?

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2011, 09:18 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDennis
You can tune and set the VEs without turning these off but to be the most accurate you should zero the AE and DE table while tuning. Yes, just zero all the values in those tables or you can change the Multiplier to 0 - has the same effect.
Okay, so how does setting the multiplier on zero for both affect performance? It would seem you might get some hesitation upon acceleration when AE is disabled, and that wouldn't help make the tuning process more accurate either.

DynoJet is actually working on a screen that does exactly this. It sets all the values as they should be for logging and pulls up a screen that monitors and marks the cells you have hit while riding. All you do is start the log and ride. I tested it several times and sent them suggestions. Works really well. We should probably see it in one of the releases soon.
Yeah, that's in the current beta FW that we have, but I haven't tried it yet. I was referring more to the ritual of working with WinPV and PV Tune, not setting the datalog signals in the PV. Once you do that you shouldn't need to do it again, but in in the two computer apps you must do it manually each time, which is a multi-step process. That's the part I think they should streamline. Are we on the same train of thought?

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread