Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fordomatic69
So how come the parameters from my ORIGINAL factory tune are so small (see screen shot). Where are the VE tables, etc??
Try opening the setup - options menu and setting the User level to PRO.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:37 PM
fordomatic69
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratbob
Try opening the setup - options menu and setting the User level to PRO.
That was the ticket, thanks. This is quite a bit different than the Automotive Tuners I'm used to.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:45 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Iclick, can you explain something to me on how the PV knock adjustment works? I used the PV Basic tuner to tune for knock. I'm unable to use it for tuning VE since I'm using the stock NB sensors and my dyno-tuned map AFRs are too far off from 1.00 lambda.
You could use the Closed-Loop Bias tables for that, but we should let Jamie, Dennis, or Hal lead that discussion, as I haven't worked with it at all and am running the AT-100 Pro at this time. I'm not sure how those tables work with PV Tune, but what little I know about the stock sensors I understand you're not locked into 14.6 and can adjust down to as low as ~14.2.

So I figured I would use the spark adjustment capability of the PV basic tuner just to see what I would get. I logged a number of good runs that varied alot. The dyno-tuned map was pretty good from a spark perspective but there were a few areas where there were small knock events. Mostly out near 70-90 kpa and 3500-4000 rpms. Again these were relatively small events but I thought I would let the Tuner make the appropriate adjustment.

The tuner lowered the spark and when I logged again the knock event was either gone or reduced to nearly nothing. What I did notice was that the performance of the bike from just this small timing adjustment made a noticeable reduction in performance that could be felt from the saddle.
How much retard are you talking about? It really shouldn't make any difference at all in seat-of-the-pants performance, as if you are registering a knock event the ECM is retarding that amount up to the maximum specified. If PV Tune adjusts for this knock event it won't be pulling back timing as much as the knock event itself, or at least that's my experience with this '07.

The problem I'm having is that in my case I see a knock event on the rear cylinder for every log, always around 60-70 KPA @ ~2000-2400 rpm, and it adjusts slightly every time. So far I'm not seeing much difference and continue to allow it to adjust, but am monitoring the situation. If it looks like it's going too far or doesn't eventually stop making adjustments I'll stop the process by unchecking the Spark Knock function before I load it into the tune. So far in quite a few PV Tune procedures I see mostly <1° of retard in only a few areas. I had manually bumped spark advance in the cruise range long ago, so I'm still no lower than stock levels.

Is it possible that the basic tuner algorithym is too aggressive in lowering the timing when it reads a knock event. In any case I went back to the original dyno-tuned map and immediately felt the improved performance. Is it possible that PV tuner is lowering the spark advance more than the ECU knock retard is lowering it which is why I feel the reduced power?
I would be surprised if Basic and Pro are different, and my experience with Pro is that it makes very small changes for any given PV Tune procedure.

Last edited by iclick; 07-09-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:54 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by fordomatic69
I stand corrected. My Dodge Magnum hemi has knock sensors physically mounted to the engine. The downside is that sometimes they can produce "false knock" when the displacement changes from 8 cylinders to 4 and back again. I log sometimes 5 degrees of KR during the transition of 8 to 4 and back again.
That's one of the reasons most or all have quit using the external devices, not to mention the fact that it reduces costs by eliminating one sensor from the parts list. The ion-discharge method has been around for quite a while, and my 1995 car even has it, but I don't know how long it has been used by HD. I'm not even sure they had knock sensing before introducing it.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:59 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by papifun
i monitored the spark knock while riding.. it has always displayed zero. is this normal ?
I tried doing that for a while, but it wasn't practical for me. From my experience the event lasts only a short time, was intermittent, and you'd almost have to be looking at the display all the time to see them happen. Seeing them in the log file is the best way to check, IMO.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:31 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
I tried doing that for a while, but it wasn't practical for me. From my experience the event lasts only a short time, was intermittent, and you'd almost have to be looking at the display all the time to see them happen. Seeing them in the log file is the best way to check, IMO.
Maybe a peak-hold function could be implemented ?

Old 07-09-2011, 08:35 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hornhonker
Maybe a peak-hold function could be implemented ?
Here are some suggestions I am sending tonight. Any comments by anyone are welcome:

1. The Lambda gauges make very rapid changes that make them hard to read, and it would be useful to have a sampling-rate adjustment. E.g., seeing the values change several times per second or other user-defined rate would be more useful than 50x/sec., or whatever we have now.

2. One suggestion from the forum is to create some practical method to keep track of knock-retard on a PV gauge. As it sits now this gauge isn’t very usable because knock events are (hopefully) rare and you can’t monitor this parameter while riding in any practical way. Perhaps it might show the last value >0.

3. How important is turning off DE and AE when tuning? How do you do it, zero-out all the values in the tables?

4. It would be very useful to have an option in WinPV called “Prepare for tuning,” which would do the following:
  • Automatically set the tables in the tune file that need to be disabled or otherwise changed. E.g., DE, AE, CL, etc.
  • Save the tune values needed (VE 1 & 2, AFR Set, Spark 1 & 2) to a user-specified PVV file.
5. Add a final step in PV Tune to apply the newly created value file to a tune. As it is now, to create a datalog and new tune we must enter WinPV, manually select the five tables needed and save them to a PVV file, do the tuning run, download the logs to the computer, enter PV Tune to process the changes to another PVV, then lastly enter WinPV again to apply them to a tune. I think this process could be simplified.

6. A gauge panel selection option in the PV. We now have perhaps 15 gauge panels to use, some of which are not readable in daylight (all analog gauges). I use several digital gauges only, and it would be nice if I could scroll through only those I want to see by means of a selection screen. Those selected are shown, those not selected will be omitted from the scroll view.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:16 PM
883_dave
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Here are some suggestions I am sending tonight. Any comments by anyone are welcome:
I sure think that it would be nice to be able to use the PV unit itself while it is attached/being powered by my desktop/laoptop rather than just when the PV is being powered by the bike. For example, I would like to be able to set-up my guages, info to datalog, etc. using the PC to power the PV (in PC link mode). I really dislike sitting in my 100 degree+ garage with my bike ignition, lights, etc. on wasting my battery's charge while playing with the PV. I can understand why you can't access/flash the ECM without the bike powered-up, but I don't understand why we can't use the PV unit itself with the PC as a power source. Just a suggestion. Thanks.

Last edited by 883_dave; 07-09-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 883_dave
I sure think that it would be nice to be able to use the PV unit itself while it is attached/being powered by my desktop/laoptop rather than just when the PV is being powered by the bike. For example, I would like to be able to set-up my guages, info to datalog, etc. using the PC to power the PV (in PC link mode). I really dislike sitting in my 100 degree+ garage with my bike ignition, lights, etc. on wasting my battery's charge while playing with the PV. I can understand why you can't access/flash the ECM without the bike powered-up, but I don't understand why we can't use the PV unit itself with the PC as a power source. Just a suggestion. Thanks.
I second that.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:31 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDennis
Zero for spark knock is a good thing. You would only see it when a spark occurred and you needed to retard your timing. That is normal.
phew...im using FM canned map and 94 octane . in progress of using PV basic tune with nb sensors from logs..

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread