Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:04 AM
aclundwall
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a number of times where I've been logging data, and forgot to stop logging before shutting off the engine.

Since the instructions for the log tuner say that you need to stop logging before shutting down the engine, I've simply discarded the logs where I made this mistake. I'd like to think I've learned my lesson, but in reality I'm sure I'll do it again. And it sucks to have to toss a log that has good data in it.

But I looked at some of them in Excel. The logs where the engine was shut down before the log was stopped look the same as all the other logs, except the last few rows have zeros in columns where there would be data if the engine were running. It appears that a person could still use these logs if they just deleted all the rows that occur after shutdown... Has anyone tried this?

Art

Old 07-08-2011, 11:22 AM
fordomatic69
Novice

Id like to see the log saved as a dif file so I can look and playback on the computer using Logworks 3

Old 07-08-2011, 11:46 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by aclundwall
I've had a number of times where I've been logging data, and forgot to stop logging before shutting off the engine.

Since the instructions for the log tuner say that you need to stop logging before shutting down the engine, I've simply discarded the logs where I made this mistake. I'd like to think I've learned my lesson, but in reality I'm sure I'll do it again. And it sucks to have to toss a log that has good data in it.

But I looked at some of them in Excel. The logs where the engine was shut down before the log was stopped look the same as all the other logs, except the last few rows have zeros in columns where there would be data if the engine were running. It appears that a person could still use these logs if they just deleted all the rows that occur after shutdown... Has anyone tried this?

Art
The rest of the data is accurate and usable. If you use the log it will process in PV tuner just like the others. Stopping the log before shutting off the bike just flushes all the data to the log and closes the file but I wouldn't throw the whole log away if I felt like it was a good run. I have done it and used the log.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:51 AM
CrusingHarley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aclundwall

Art

I have forgotten to do this many times. I still use the log and have no problems with it as JD has stated.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDennis
There is a Spark knock F and Spark Knock R. I don't remember exactly what they say on the selection screen but they are there.

Once you download the logs to your PC they are in CSV format so you can open them and review in Excel if you have it. AFAIK there is no way to "play" them back on your PC with any of the tools in WinPV. Run the logs and have a look to familiarize yourself with the data but once you set for tuning, PV Tuner will do all the work for you.
Originally Posted by iclick
If you don't have Excel you can view the logs with Google Docs, which is a free on-line service.

Thank you for the help. I am still not sure about the spark knock. There is a spark knock advance and spark knock retard for front and rear.
Or is there a separate selection that is just "spark knock F" spark knock R" I need to go look again this is why I am making some trial runs so I am not making my tune worse. LOL Everything else for the most part as of right now I am comfortable with.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:25 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam2010
Thank you for the help. I am still not sure about the spark knock. There is a spark knock advance and spark knock retard for front and rear.
Or is there a separate selection that is just "spark knock F" spark knock R" I need to go look again this is why I am making some trial runs so I am not making my tune worse. LOL Everything else for the most part as of right now I am comfortable with.
It will show in the log as Spark Knock F and Spock Knock R. I believe in the selection it says Front Spark Knock Retard and Rear etc. You are looking for where the bike retards the timing you have so PV tune can adjust the timing back in your calibration. Pick the Retard channels for logging

Spark Knock F = Front Spark Knock Retard
Spark Knock R = Rear Spark Knock Retard

Old 07-08-2011, 12:59 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratbob
There is a share-ware app called Mega Log Viewer that's kind of interesting. It was written for MegaSquirt data logs so it's not 100% compatible with PV output, but after you trim the header stuff out of the csv file it's fun to look at your log graphically.
I just thought of it, but I think M$ also has a free reader app for Excel files, called Excel Viewer.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:07 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

The rest of the data is accurate and usable. If you use the log it will process in PV tuner just like the others. Stopping the log before shutting off the bike just flushes all the data to the log and closes the file but I wouldn't throw the whole log away if I felt like it was a good run. I have done it and used the log.
Same here, never a problem.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ratbob
There is a share-ware app called Mega Log Viewer that's kind of interesting. It was written for MegaSquirt data logs so it's not 100% compatible with PV output, but after you trim the header stuff out of the csv file it's fun to look at your log graphically.
Yes, MegaLogViewer is a very solid, feature loaded program and I've been using it for awhile now. Here is an example of one of the pages I have set up:

It's well worth the $25 Phil asks for it.

-Dusty

Last edited by Dustball; 07-10-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:12 PM
fordomatic69
Novice

It will show in the log as Spark Knock F and Spock Knock R. I believe in the selection it says Front Spark Knock Retard and Rear etc. You are looking for where the bike retards the timing you have so PV tune can adjust the timing back in your calibration. Pick the Retard channels for logging

Spark Knock F = Front Spark Knock Retard
Spark Knock R = Rear Spark Knock Retard
Knock retard or (KR) is the number of degrees the ECM is retarding your ignition timing in order to eliminate knock. There is a knock sensor mounted to each cylinder and when the sensor detects knock, it instructs the ECM to retard ignition timing to prevent knock.

If you are logging and you see no KR, then you can advance timing a little, then log again (especially log at Wide Open throttle or WOT). Keep advancing timing until you see some KR happening, then either back off the timing or add a few points of fuel to see if you can eliminate the KR.

The most power you will get is when you are running just on the edge of KR without actually seeing any in the logs. Quality of Fuel will play the biggest part in logging for KR because if your timing is advanced and you put in lower quality fuel, your knock sensors could go ballistic and you actually end up losing HP and performance bcause the ECM is compensating for the Knock by retarding your timing.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread