Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 02:53 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bp_shooter123
I got the same message when I tried also. With this added.

Do I need to add New Ve (front and rear) to my logging or just ignore it?

Michael
Yes, you need New VE Front and Rear. I updated the instructions to be clearer with this....

• MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure)*
• ET (Engine Temp)*
• Warm-up AFR or Lambda*
• TP (Throttle Position)*
• Engine Speed (RPM)*
• VE New Front*
• VE New Rear*
• Accel Enrich*
• Spark Knock Front*
• Spark Knock Rear*
• Desired Air/Fuel (Ratio)* or
• Desired Air/Fuel (Lambda)*

Add these if using autotune
• Lambda 1**
• Lambda 2 **

* From H-D data bus
** From Auto Tune (when equipped)

updated document ---> http://www.box.net/shared/i66qvn4xf1s2xp7fgy8v

Last edited by JustDennis; 06-30-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:21 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wide Band Performance

Comparing PV and PCV wide band performance is somewhat confusing. The PCV very quickly provides trims for all throttle positions including WOT. I have my wide band sensors enabled with the PV but have yet to seen any substantive changes of VE in the mid range and none at all for WOT. It is inconceivable that the WOT portion of the map would be spot on out of the box. WOT is of course running open loop so I'm wondering if the Wide Bands are as yet being
monitored by the PV in this mode ? So to sum up I have two questions...

Will the Wide band sensors eventually have the very quick to make changes
performance they have with the PCV ? (yes I know the changes must be flashed)

Will they do WOT like the PVC ?

Last edited by hornhonker; 06-30-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:35 PM
bp_shooter123
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JustDennis
Yes, you need New VE Front and Rear. I updated the instructions to be clearer with this....

• MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure)*
• ET (Engine Temp)*
Warm-up AFR or Lambda*
• TP (Throttle Position)*
• Engine Speed (RPM)*
• VE New Front*
• VE New Rear*
• Accel Enrich*
• Spark Knock Front*
• Spark Knock Rear*
Desired Air/Fuel (Ratio)* or
• Desired Air/Fuel (Lambda)*

Add these if using autotune
• Lambda 1**
• Lambda 2 **

* From H-D data bus
** From Auto Tune (when equipped)

updated document ---> http://www.box.net/shared/i66qvn4xf1s2xp7fgy8v
Does it matter which you use Lambda or Ratio?

Michael

Old 06-30-2011, 04:04 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Michael
What bike are you tuning? Depends on the calibration. For instance, I know more about touring bikes. My 08 DBW bike uses AFR but I believe the 10 and up use Lambda. Let us know which bike and I am sure someone can chime in.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:20 PM
bp_shooter123
Road Captain

Michael
What bike are you tuning? Depends on the calibration. For instance, I know more about touring bikes. My 08 DBW bike uses AFR but I believe the 10 and up use Lambda. Let us know which bike and I am sure someone can chime in.
I am using this on a 2009 Heritage.
Is there is some proper way to know what method is best for each different model?

Michael

Old 06-30-2011, 06:50 PM
hornhonker
Tourer

Is there is some proper way to know what method is best for each different model?

Michael
I think 09s use AFR.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:54 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Michael
Yes, If the Air Fuel Ratio on your base map is in AFR, pick the AFR data values. If it is Lambda pick the Lambda. When you click that table in WinPV Under Fuel, the title will either say "Air Fuel Ratio (Stoich)" or "Air Fuel Ratio(Lambda)". Stoich is AFR. For Your 2009 Heritage you should select AFR values. A 2010 FLHX would be Lambda. Not to confuse you but If you add Autotune, those values would be Lambda (1&2) added to your current AFR values. Make sense? :-)

Last edited by JustDennis; 06-30-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:38 PM
bp_shooter123
Road Captain

Yes, If the Air Fuel Ratio on your base map is in AFR, pick the AFR data values. If it is Lambda pick the Lambda. When you click that table in WinPV Under Fuel, the title will either say "Air Fuel Ratio (Stoich)" or "Air Fuel Ratio(Lambda)". Stoich is AFR. For Your 2009 Heritage you should select AFR values. A 2010 FLHX would be Lambda. Not to confuse you but If you add Autotune, those values would be Lambda (1&2) added to your current AFR values. Make sense? :-)
Perfectly clear. I have added this tidbit to my copy of your instructions.

Michael

Old 07-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a question concerning the need to fine tune the map settings.

I ordered a Power Vision from Fuel Moto earlier this week and it is supposed to be delivered today. It will go on my 2009 Ultra, which has a stock engine except for the Screaming Eagle air cleaner backing plate (still have the stock cover). My dealer reflashed the ECM when the air cleaner was changed.

Fuel Moto indicated they would put a map on the unit appropriate for my bike.

If they have already loaded a map, is there really a need for me to log data and adjust the VE tables or anything else as others have discussed on here?

It appears that going through this process is supposed to fine tune the map to more closely match the needs of that individual bike. Does this fine tuning really make that much difference in the performance of the bike?

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2011, 12:18 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Morris9982
I have a question concerning the need to fine tune the map settings.

I ordered a Power Vision from Fuel Moto earlier this week and it is supposed to be delivered today. It will go on my 2009 Ultra, which has a stock engine except for the Screaming Eagle air cleaner backing plate (still have the stock cover). My dealer reflashed the ECM when the air cleaner was changed.

Fuel Moto indicated they would put a map on the unit appropriate for my bike.

If they have already loaded a map, is there really a need for me to log data and adjust the VE tables or anything else as others have discussed on here?

It appears that going through this process is supposed to fine tune the map to more closely match the needs of that individual bike. Does this fine tuning really make that much difference in the performance of the bike?

Thanks!

You have the gist of it. The map supplied from Fuel Moto should be very close for your bike. I am sure you will be happy with the supplied map but doing the tuning will tweak the map to match the characteristics of your individual bike. If you are happy with the results, you should be fine to just ride with the supplied calibration.

I did datalogging and tuning of the VE tables for my bike with the Stock O2 sensors and with the Autotune kit. Both of these resulted in minor (10% or less) changes to the VE tables. The Power Vision also has the capability to change other things that you may want to address. I reduced decel enleanment, decreased close throttle spark and added a little fuel at 20kpa to reduce decel popping that I had. I also lowered the idle a little and adjusted the Throttle Blade control to reduce a little of the lag the TBS bikes have.

So to answer your question - Do you need to do the tuning? Probably not. Would it make a performance difference? Yes but only you can decide if it is worth the effort. To me, making sure my bike is running the best it can and being able to adjust the things I want to change are a big part of what I enjoy about riding.

If you want to just ride now, you will be fine plus you have the ability to fine tune and tweak the settings later. The Power Vision makes datalogging and changing the tune so easy. Good luck and let us know if we can help. I think you made a good decision going with the PV!

Last edited by JustDennis; 07-01-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread