Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 01:11 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by shrekmoose
I have read and read and read some more on this thread and the info is endless. But what i cannot find is regarding tuning my timing. I Dont have many if any knock events so I wanted to push my timing until I started to get minor knock events and back it off a hair. The best way I can find to do this is through log tuner, There is just one problem. I cant find a download for the log tuner anywhere. Did DJ stop the log tuner download when the autotune basic launched or am I missing something. Just looking for the log tuner software to load my data logs into to help me make heads or tails of my logs.
When trying to view some dyno logs left from getting my dyno tune I had to use excel. I believe that's why many run MLV now.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:56 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I think we need to start a new thread on ignition timing. My bet is we could find patterns in the data that could make timing logic far more cookbook and way less black magic.

This is the sort of thing that I am homing in on.

http://www.nbs-stl.com/RxpxTuning/Motec%20Timing.png

Have fun tuning

Andy

Last edited by whittlebeast; 03-11-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:56 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by whittlebeast
I think we need to start a new thread on ignition timing. My bet is we could find patterns in the data that could make timing logic far more cookbook and way less black magic.

Have fun tuning

Andy
I agree- and it is a topic relevant to pretty much all tuner products in general that let you alter timing tables. want to start that up?

Old 03-11-2016, 04:49 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Ok, since no one else did, I'l bite.
Originally Posted by whittlebeast

Have fun tuning

Andy
Pretty pictures.

How do they relate to our V-Twins?

On the first one:
You have ignition timing vs. MAPxRPM
So all the cylinders on that motor use a single timing table?
Is that a pattern we should expect to see on our bikes using AdvanceF and AdvanceR?
How would we achieve that?

On the second:
You have vehicle speed vs. Inlet Manifold Pressure.
Instead of MAP you are using Inlet Manifold Pressure. How would we retrieve ( or calculate ) it from our logs?
Why is that graph important to us and what is the pattern showing?

Old 03-11-2016, 05:06 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Timing has to have some sort of pattern. That happens to be something one I found on one of the very over engineered motors I tune on. I was shocked when I saw it. MAPxRPM is essentially air flow.

The second plot has Inlet Manifold Pressure (MAP) vs Engine Speed (RPM) On a Harley you are limited to the bottom left corner but it is all the same thing.

Regarding applying this sort of thing to a Harley, who knows what we will find. I bet will will find something useful.

Andy

Old 03-12-2016, 01:14 AM
IKnowNot
Road Master

DISCLAIMER: Playing Devil's Advocate here, no disrespect intended

Your pretty pics are as informative as:

LA_Dog, why don't yours look like this?

Let's see if we can, as you suggest, find patterns and discover information useful for the members here. In that vein I spawned a new thread as you suggested.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:23 PM
Tookey
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully someone might be able to help me. My power vision hasn't been plugged into bike for a while. I plugged it into the computer to load a tune from Jamie at Fuelmoto for my new 107 kit. That's where the problem started, the unit immediately displayed recovery mode and will not do anything. I tried multiple computers, no luck. I plugged it into bike and still says recovery mode. I have tried to connect to power vision update client but it says there is no power vision plugged in. The computer recognizes that the power vision is plugged in, but i cant do anything with it. I found a link to a reset file but the link is no good. I sent an email to Jamie but i'm guessing i probably wont hear back until Monday at the earliest. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

Old 03-12-2016, 09:04 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master

Don't know what link you found ( one I found didn't wotk either )

Did you try going to the original post and using that link?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...l#post12897968

Old 03-12-2016, 09:52 PM
Tookey
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just tried that, I thought it was going to work and then half way through it said recovery failed. So close WTF... Now the screen says update in progress instead of the rainbow screen.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:06 AM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PM

Originally Posted by shrekmoose
.... I cant find a download for the log tuner anywhere. Did DJ stop the log tuner download when the autotune basic launched or am I missing something. Just looking for the log tuner software to load my data logs into to help me make heads or tails of my logs.
Shrekmoose- PM me and I can email you the Logtuner software 1.2.0 or 1.0.5.
Glad to help. Although, as has been suggested, the MLV analyzer is much more efficient. Just me, but I wouldn't go back to the logtuner method; gotta say though, I did really like it.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread