Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDennis
If you think about this though it makes sense. Since previous versions of WinPV did not know about these "new" tables, the only place to get the data is from the ECM on your bike. These new tables aren't really new. They have been in the stock calibration all along.

When you load the tune from your bike you are bringing the data from the ECM into the PV and then into WinPV so you can see or edit it. DynoJet may be able to automate the procedure but the process will remain the same. The "new to PV/WinPV" data will have to come from the ECM on the bike.
Now I get it. The new user adjustable feature is really just accessing a parameter on the ECU and allowing the user to modify it (ie AVG MPG). In order to make it user adjustable, the PV needs to collect both the algorithym from the updated software and the data that is currently on the ECU before the user can modify it.

I still think it would make sense to provide an "update" functionality on the PV that could take any tune on the PV and update it with both the latest features that have been added to the PV firmware with the data from the ECU. If the tune file has the latest features and the most current data from the ECU, the PV would provide a confirmation. If the tune file was out of date, it would provide a confirmation statement that it had been updated with the latest features and data from the ECU.

Last edited by Heatwave; 06-24-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustDennis
If you think about this though it makes sense. Since previous versions of WinPV did not know about these "new" tables, the only place to get the data is from the ECM on your bike. These new tables aren't really new. They have been in the stock calibration all along.

When you load the tune from your bike you are bringing the data from the ECM into the PV and then into WinPV so you can see or edit it. DynoJet may be able to automate the procedure but the process will remain the same. The "new to PV/WinPV" data will have to come from the ECM on the bike.
Yes, that's the way they've implemented things, like them or not.

Frankly, I've always believed that the WinPV should include a "create new map" option based off your saved stock (or user defined) with a pull down of all tunable parameters included and opened up. The user should be able to import an existing .pvv or modify/cut and paste individual cells or tables into this base to arrive at my tune. Since the PV marries to the ECM, the WinPV should gray out unavailable parameters based on the given ECM capabilities (but still allow a user override in Pro).

-Dusty

Old 06-24-2011, 09:24 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
That makes sense in the VE tables, however I'm somewhat concerned with that approach on the injector size and AFR (lambda) tables. My injectors are 5.3gm/sec and when the "copy" process from the ECU handled the file, it lowered the size to 5.28. This seems counter to the explanation above.
Mine didn't change from 3.91 (stock size).

Likewise, the AFR table lowered the lambda by .001 across the table out to about 70% and down to 3000rpms. Doesn't make sense to me why these changes are occuring and it would appear to be a different reason then the changes made to the VE tables.

I-click, any chance you can get an explanation?
I'll inquire. Stay tuned to this station for updates.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 AM
CrusingHarley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Heatwave
That makes sense in the VE tables, however I'm somewhat concerned with that approach on the injector size and AFR (lambda) tables. My injectors are 5.3gm/sec and when the "copy" process from the ECU handled the file, it lowered the size to 5.28. This seems counter to the explanation above.

Likewise, the AFR table lowered the lambda by .001 across the table out to about 70% and down to 3000rpms. Doesn't make sense to me why these changes are occuring and it would appear to be a different reason then the changes made to the VE tables.
My injectors did not change on any updates. The only changed I noticed was a small change in the AFR. 85 column, 750-4000 was increased by .001

Old 06-24-2011, 10:04 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CrusingHarley
My injectors did not change on any updates. The only changed I noticed was a small change in the AFR. 85 column, 750-4000 was increased by .001
The only changes I had were small changes to cells in the VE tables for cells that I had not hit during autotuning. You could tell they were just rounding. Everything else stayed the same except for the new features of course.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:48 PM
883_dave
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could someone inform me as to the best/easiest way to remove tunes from the tune-manager on the PV unit, but keep them in WinPV? I want to get rid of some of the tunes in the tune manager so that all the slots are not filled-up. I know that I can over-write the tunes that are currently in the tune manager, but I would rather clean-up the clutter and just have blank slots. Thanks.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:14 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 883_dave
Could someone inform me as to the best/easiest way to remove tunes from the tune-manager on the PV unit, but keep them in WinPV? I want to get rid of some of the tunes in the tune manager so that all the slots are not filled-up. I know that I can over-write the tunes that are currently in the tune manager, but I would rather clean-up the clutter and just have blank slots. Thanks.
Sure. Connect the PV to your PC and start WinPV. Click on the "Get tune" icon, click to select one of the tunes in the slot you want to delete and the delete button will become active. Click Delete to remove the tune from the PV. You can click cancel to exit the Get Tune selection. The file will remain on your PC accessible thru WinPV as before.

You can also select "Get tune from PV..." in the Powervision dropdown from the menu.

Last edited by JustDennis; 06-24-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:41 PM
bp_shooter123
Road Captain
Default Change logs?

Is there anyone who has access to the changelogs showing what changes were made when software or firmware is updated?
I know the software writers make them. Is there any reason they do not feel a need to supply the list of changes?

A normal changelog contains lists of bug fixes, improvements and other minor and major changes.

Michael

Old 06-24-2011, 02:05 PM
JustLoafin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to drop a note to pass along how much help Dan Hourigan from DJ has been. I can tell that DJ really wants this product to succeed and they are going out of their way to make that happen. Between this forum, Jamie at FM and people like Dan at DJ, this tuner is going to kick some serious "hiney"!! Lets keep up the great work!!!

Old 06-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Dustball
Road Master

Yep, Dan works some long hours and weekends answering emails and such.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread