Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 06:55 PM
usaf8ret
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Closed loop lambda setting

When you guys set up a tune to make an auto tune run what lambda setting are you using?

Old 02-25-2016, 07:00 PM
usaf8ret
Advanced

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Spazz- congrats on getting your first tuning run completed. the auto tune added up to 19% more fuel and an average of 3% increase across all tuned VEs. I think scale was the way to go- but I've never had to mess with that so not sure- I would strongly advise calling FM or DJ and talk to them about the scaling results and best way to proceed. If you call DJ ask for Roy. he is a sharp guy with the PV and TT. But you are on the road to a good tune- be sure to "export learned" and save it into a tune slot, then load that new tune file to the ECM and you'll be running with the new changes. from there you can run AT again and further tune it as needed. more than likely it is only going to take 2 or three tuning sessions at most. I had mine done in 2 tune sessions.
I highly doubt it added 19% more fuel.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:09 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

^ And why not? a 19% max VE change is not that much on a specific cell. If you have a current VE cell that is say 81, and auto tune increased it 19%, then it added a bit over 14 to the VE value. new value = 95.58

Old 02-25-2016, 07:11 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by usaf8ret
When you guys set up a tune to make an auto tune run what lambda setting are you using?
your lambda values are the AFR ratio table. just use the one given to you in your TT-enabled tune file. As you learn more about tuning you can make changes to the AFR ratio table as needed to lean or richen things up.

But first order of business is to run TT-AT a few times and get the VE's dialed in correctly. using the current AFR ratio table for that is fine.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:22 PM
usaf8ret
Advanced

It made a volumetric efficiency change to one or more cells of 19%. Afr's are not 1:1. 19% raw fuel is allot to dump. Maybe I'm simply not following your logic. Personally, I wouldn't have scaled. But I can't see how many cells maxed out or which cells in the map maxed out. Being the first tuning run I would have capped it and see what happened over the next couple of runs. Either way, if his CI only went up 8 and that gave him enough headroom to not max out then it still works.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:24 PM
usaf8ret
Advanced

your lambda values are the AFR ratio table. just use the one given to you in your TT-enabled tune file. As you learn more about tuning you can make changes to the AFR ratio table as needed to lean or richen things up.

But first order of business is to run TT-AT a few times and get the VE's dialed in correctly. using the current AFR ratio table for that is fine.
To be more specific, I'm looking for information as to where the mid point of the sensors are. I understand 450mv for AFR cal but new to lambda cals. If the bias is built into the lambda setting where would the sensors be most efficient.

Last edited by usaf8ret; 02-25-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:31 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

It made a volumetric efficiency change to one or more cells of 19%. Afr's are not 1:1. 19% raw fuel is allot to dump. Maybe I'm simply not following your logic. Personally, I wouldn't have scaled. But I can't see how many cells maxed out or which cells in the map maxed out. Being the first tuning run I would have capped it and see what happened over the next couple of runs. Either way, if his CI only went up 8 and that gave him enough headroom to not max out then it still works.
By that I mean that at least one VE was set 19% richer in fuel. How much actual added fuel that represents depends on a lot of factors - rpm, air temp, engine temp, map load, etc. - you are correct, fuel is not 1:1 on a VE change.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:39 PM
usaf8ret
Advanced

By that I mean that at least one VE was set 19% richer in fuel. How much actual added fuel that represents depends on a lot of factors - rpm, air temp, engine temp, map load, etc. - you are correct, fuel is not 1:1 on a VE change.
19% richer in fuel or a 19% increase in modeled airflow through the engine?

Old 02-25-2016, 07:55 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

19% richer in fuel or a 19% increase in modeled airflow through the engine?
There are quite a few books online that discuss Delphi EFI systems and components in very good detail. To put it very simply, the Main VE table is fueling at different engine loads vs. rpms. The VE table kpa is the measurement of air pressure to help determine the load on the engine or Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)

Increasing the VE table values will make the engine richer, and vice-versa. A lower VE value will lean the engine.

Although some HD bikes, like mine, have VE table load expressed in Throttle Position - which I find very confusing and not overly conducive to good tuning.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:03 PM
usaf8ret
Advanced

[QUOTE=LA_Dog;14880978] To put it very simply, the Main VE table is fueling at different engine loads vs. rpms. The VE table kpa is the measurement of air pressure to help determine the load on the engine or Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)

What? Are you sure the Main VE table isn't a number that reflects airflow through the engine?

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread