Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:33 AM
CrusingHarley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI,

Another firmware update, 854.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:26 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 883_dave
Can anyone explain why running the engine with the O2 sensors installed but not connected would damage the O2 sensors?
I was referring to the WB sensors in the AT-100 Pro kit, but don't know if this applies to the stock sensors too. I don't know why there is concern and I can't figure it out either, but Jamie told me to remove them if they were not in use. The only thing I can think of that would be different would be the warm-up process at start-up, as they have heat elements that get them to operating temperature quickly. Maybe it's that short period without the quick warm-up that is a problem. I'm not sure if the stock sensors have heating elements.

My O2 sensors are still installed and connected, but not in use. The open-loop map definately fixed my problem, but I do plan to use the O2 sensors in the future for data logging/tuning so I don't want them to get damaged.
Jamie will see this dialog and will comment soon, I'm sure.

Last edited by iclick; 06-21-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:57 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Tuning Runs

I have read the instructions over pretty well and understand that with the stock sensors and logtuner basic, I will cover about 2/3 of the total map, which is OK for now. The instructions say to ride as usual and try to vary load and RPMs. This makes sense to me. My question is, what if I tried the (gasp!) TTS method where starting with first gear all the way through 4th or 5th, start at 5% Throttle, hold for 10 seconds, then go to 10% throttle, hold for 10 seconds....do this until you hit 50-60% throttle then move to the next gear and repeat. I did this on my softail with the TTS and had a dialed in map in only 3 runs. Would this be an effective method with the PV? Thanks for any advice/input.

TedMan

Old 06-21-2011, 12:35 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,156 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by captdave221
Anyone see that the throttle plate is about 5 degrees more than the twist grip? Stock settings on that so I assume since I am at 5 degrees throttle plate @ idle you add the twistgrip opening degrees to that base number.
On 08-up DBW bikes the Throttle position and Twist Grip position are going to be different. TP is the actual % of the throttle blade, because there is no IAC and the actuator controls the idle speed with the blade itself it will never read 0% unlike the Throttle grip which will read 0% at idle and 100% at WOT

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 06-21-2011, 12:45 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,156 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by 883_dave
Can anyone explain why running the engine with the O2 sensors installed but not connected would damage the O2 sensors? I am concerned about this because I am currently running an open-loop only map that I got from FM because I was having a lot of low RPM/low speed surging/hunting behavior that I thought was due to the O2 integrators. My O2 sensors are still installed and connected, but not in use. The open-loop map definately fixed my problem, but I do plan to use the O2 sensors in the future for data logging/tuning so I don't want them to get damaged.

Seems to me that I lot of folks used O2 eliminators with the PC's and I don't recall hearing about this O2 sensor issue.

I really like what the PV and Jamie's tune have done for my Sportster. We have had many 100+ degree days here lately and my bike runs very well. No surging, hunting, pinging, sputtering or popping.
Wideband sensors are very different from the factory narrowband sensors in this regard as the Wideband's can be very easily damaged if there are left in the exhaust system un-powered. You will be able to plug your factory O2 sensors back in with no issues

Old 06-21-2011, 03:07 PM
883_dave
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
Wideband sensors are very different from the factory narrowband sensors in this regard as the Wideband's can be very easily damaged if there are left in the exhaust system un-powered. You will be able to plug your factory O2 sensors back in with no issues
Thanks Jamie!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:55 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Well being a complete moron I realized that I am not tuning the roll on throttle section of the map today. I need to set the AFR to 14.6 in the 80-90 KPA range.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:15 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TedMan
I have read the instructions over pretty well and understand that with the stock sensors and logtuner basic, I will cover about 2/3 of the total map, which is OK for now. The instructions say to ride as usual and try to vary load and RPMs. This makes sense to me. My question is, what if I tried the (gasp!) TTS method where starting with first gear all the way through 4th or 5th, start at 5% Throttle, hold for 10 seconds, then go to 10% throttle, hold for 10 seconds....do this until you hit 50-60% throttle then move to the next gear and repeat. I did this on my softail with the TTS and had a dialed in map in only 3 runs. Would this be an effective method with the PV? Thanks for any advice/input.

TedMan
TedMan

That is a very good process to cover more areas of the map. The tuning process for the PV and TTS is really the same. You cover as many areas of the map - combinations of RPM, load, etc as possible to make get the VEs as correct as possible. Nothing wrong with what you described - on a closed course of course

Old 06-22-2011, 07:18 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FX4
Well being a complete moron I realized that I am not tuning the roll on throttle section of the map today. I need to set the AFR to 14.6 in the 80-90 KPA range.
If you set the higher ranges to 14.6 be sure to reduce your timing in those areas during a tuning run. You should reduce it by at least 4 degrees. If you don't you run the risk of detonation. The engine really should not run that lean in those areas with the spark advanced.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:21 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by iclick
That's it, and you make three so far having this exact problem, but the first I've heard about with a late-model bike. I've reported this to DJ. This seems to affect only the gauges and PV operation, not datalogging, so if you aren't using the display function you likely wouldn't notice any problem. BTW, I've been told that we should not be running the engine when the O2 sensors are installed in but not connected. This can damage the sensors.

Is anyone having this problem with the newer single-module units?
Iclick

See my note I copied you on to DJ on my latest testing.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread