Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:09 AM
aclundwall
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone explain what the fuel and idle trims are, and when they need to be reset (and when they don't)? I thought I understood this, now I'm not sure!

One post, way back, suggested they needed to be reset before logging. I mentioned it in a later post, and a subsequent reply said that wasn't necessary! Now, with the latest firmware, every time we flash a tune, the PV asks if we want to reset the fuel trim. But then it says its only necessary if we change anything to do with the air/fuel mixture (or maybe it says VE tables...I can't remember exactly).... Well, isn't that almost every time we flash a tune? What is actually happening when we reset these trims?

Old 06-18-2011, 05:41 AM
Pass
Advanced

Originally Posted by aclundwall
Can someone explain what the fuel and idle trims are, and when they need to be reset (and when they don't)? I thought I understood this, now I'm not sure!

One post, way back, suggested they needed to be reset before logging. I mentioned it in a later post, and a subsequent reply said that wasn't necessary! Now, with the latest firmware, every time we flash a tune, the PV asks if we want to reset the fuel trim. But then it says its only necessary if we change anything to do with the air/fuel mixture (or maybe it says VE tables...I can't remember exactly).... Well, isn't that almost every time we flash a tune? What is actually happening when we reset these trims?
The trims are the new learned values... the desired values so to speak. Not every time you flash are you changing the VE tables (it seems like that now since that is what you are tuning). Later on, you may change just your spark, or a temp setting, or enabling something or disabling something. It would not be necessary to reset your trims.

You do not have to reset your trims pre-logging run. It just forces the ECM to relearn new values.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:51 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycat225
Mine did the same thing. I figured out it was the cable. I ty-rapped it to the spark plug wire to keep it out of the way and it was picking up interference from that. Ran the cord under the tank wire console and al is now good.............
Thanks. That is probably the problem. Should I remove the whole tank, or just the console? Thanks again.

TedMan

Old 06-18-2011, 07:27 AM
CrusingHarley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TedMan
Thanks. That is probably the problem. Should I remove the whole tank, or just the console? Thanks again.

TedMan

It is easier to remove the whole tank.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:58 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

Got it. Thanks all for feedback. My base FM map is pretty close, just want to dial it in and the viewing gauge function is pretty cool.

TedMan

Old 06-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Pass
Advanced

Originally Posted by CrusingHarley
It is easier to remove the whole tank.
Really? I just ran the cable through the console and zip tied it to the cabling on the neck then up through the plastic gauge housing onto my handlebars. I will probably run it under the tank when I pull the tank to do my handlebars later.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:19 AM
CrusingHarley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Pass
Really? I just ran the cable through the console and zip tied it to the cabling on the neck then up through the plastic gauge housing onto my handlebars. I will probably run it under the tank when I pull the tank to do my handlebars later.
Remove 5 bolts ( 1 for the seat), disconnect the fuel line which is a quick disconnect and that whole area is opened up for an easy and neat installation.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:46 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Pass, on your bike, removing the fuel tank is a breeze. A bit more of a headache on an 07 but still not difficult.

Last edited by FX4; 06-18-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:03 PM
aclundwall
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Pass
The trims are the new learned values... the desired values so to speak. Not every time you flash are you changing the VE tables (it seems like that now since that is what you are tuning). Later on, you may change just your spark, or a temp setting, or enabling something or disabling something. It would not be necessary to reset your trims.

You do not have to reset your trims pre-logging run. It just forces the ECM to relearn new values.
Hey, thanks for the reply. Sorry to be so thick on this....but I still have a couple questions...

OK...by learned values, you mean the values stored in the adaptive table, that are applied during startup, right? If so, why wouldn't you want to reset these prior to logging? It seems to me that if the ECM applies 'adjustments' to the tune, it's going to change what is measured by the O2 sensors, and so adjustments calculated by logtuner are going to be off as a result. Sure, they'd be right for the tune plus the learned adjustments together, but they would be off if the trims were reset later....

Second question...the guide for the log tuner suggests turning off the adaptive control... Again, assuming that the adaptive control is the where the data in the trims comes from, I guess that means that while my tune has this parameter turned off, this is all a moot point, right?

Finally, when it comes time to reset these trims, when do you do it? If they are applied at startup, then I assume it's a waste of time to do this unless the engine is off, right?

Thanks,
Art

Old 06-18-2011, 05:01 PM
kurtos
Advanced

The instructins says that I need to have the stock ECM settings flashed onto the bike prior to using the Power Vision...but I dont have this map since I have been using a Screamin Eagle Pro tuner from the dealer.
How do I get the stock ECM-flash?

Regards,
Kurt

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread