Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 10:01 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by RonaldNC
LA_Dog,

My 2014 Limited had a stock tune that was TPS based, but I noticed that the tunes from Dynojet are MAP based. Why is the MAP based better? Why didn't H-D use them to begin with?

Thanks,

Ron
I really can't answer that one- who knows why HD did what they did. Maybe the bagger fbw bikes can "go either way"? hah. Anyway, my cable throttle HD only seems to be able to use TPS-based tuning. the ECM has no available VE tables that are MAP based.

As to which is better- they both have their pluses and minuses. I would only prefer the MAP based tuning because it makes more sense to me in my head, basing fuel changes on kpa / load vs throttle position. plus, the spark timing tables are MAP-based, so it would just feel more uniform to me.

Both methods do a decent job given the stripped down, limited version of Delphi used by HD, and general dependency on the MAP sensor. Car mfr's have moved away from MAP and use MAF (Mass Air Flow) based tuning. Even better. And the Delphi tuning parameters on cars are way more full featured for optimizing both economy AND top performance. Maybe we'll get that on HD's by 2020...;p.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:37 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Mac- Nice to see you here. What did the 2012 Trikes come with on intake and injectors, 50mm / 4.9? I'm assuming that should be sufficient for a stock motor with pipes, intake and the Genesis 577 cam.

Ken- would be super helpful if you could post the details on your motor such as heads, compression, pistons etc. if any of that was changed along with the cam.
Pretty sure it is same as all touring with 50MM TB and 4.35 injectors. That is what it has been since the 96 Twin Cam came along in the touring. The dyna and softails had 48 MM and 3.91 injectors and still do I think. At least that is what has been in the ones I made maps for. The 4.9 is good step up for the 3.91 in the 48 MM.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:41 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ke5rbd
Pretty sure it is same as all touring with 50MM TB and 4.35 injectors. That is what it has been since the 96 Twin Cam came along in the touring. The dyna and softails had 48 MM and 3.91 injectors and still do I think. At least that is what has been in the ones I made maps for. The 4.9 is good step up for the 3.91 in the 48 MM.

yep - I ordered the SE 4.9 injectors, should be here this week. BTW - do you have to pull the tank to change injectors or can you cheat by lifting the rear of tank and propping it up?

Old 06-17-2015, 05:03 PM
RonaldNC
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

I really can't answer that one- who knows why HD did what they did. Maybe the bagger fbw bikes can "go either way"? hah. Anyway, my cable throttle HD only seems to be able to use TPS-based tuning. the ECM has no available VE tables that are MAP based.

As to which is better- they both have their pluses and minuses. I would only prefer the MAP based tuning because it makes more sense to me in my head, basing fuel changes on kpa / load vs throttle position. plus, the spark timing tables are MAP-based, so it would just feel more uniform to me.

Both methods do a decent job given the stripped down, limited version of Delphi used by HD, and general dependency on the MAP sensor. Car mfr's have moved away from MAP and use MAF (Mass Air Flow) based tuning. Even better. And the Delphi tuning parameters on cars are way more full featured for optimizing both economy AND top performance. Maybe we'll get that on HD's by 2020...;p.
I decided to go out and run an autotune session today. While the stock tune for for the high flow A/C ran good, now the bike runs even better/smoother! I'd be interested in your observations on my results. My Limited just has the Fuel Moto Pro Billet A/C installed... no other mods.

First, when I compare my autotune results versus the original Dynojet stock high-flow tune... my new tune results are generally a little leaner. Does that sound right?

Second, today was extremely hot and humid... 101 degrees! I did a lot of stop and go driving towards the end of the ride... man was I hot. The PV2 gauges peaked at ET of 243 degrees and coolant temp at 217 degrees. I figure this is about as hot that I will ever ride. Do the temps sound in the right range?

Thanks for any input!

Old 06-17-2015, 08:14 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RonaldNC
I decided to go out and run an autotune session today. While the stock tune for for the high flow A/C ran good, now the bike runs even better/smoother! I'd be interested in your observations on my results. My Limited just has the Fuel Moto Pro Billet A/C installed... no other mods.

First, when I compare my autotune results versus the original Dynojet stock high-flow tune... my new tune results are generally a little leaner. Does that sound right?

Second, today was extremely hot and humid... 101 degrees! I did a lot of stop and go driving towards the end of the ride... man was I hot. The PV2 gauges peaked at ET of 243 degrees and coolant temp at 217 degrees. I figure this is about as hot that I will ever ride. Do the temps sound in the right range?

Thanks for any input!
if your bike is a wet head then yep seems about right on temps. your tune after running AT basic VE's will usually be a bit leaner. Every decent tune file I have run through AT basic came out leaner. I think it's just the nature of narrow band tuning.

Bottom line is, if it's running great then put away the tuning and go ride!

Old 06-17-2015, 08:39 PM
RonaldNC
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

if your bike is a wet head then yep seems about right on temps. your tune after running AT basic VE's will usually be a bit leaner. Every decent tune file I have run through AT basic came out leaner. I think it's just the nature of narrow band tuning.

Bottom line is, if it's running great then put away the tuning and go ride!
Thanks! I just wish it would cool down a little!

Last edited by RonaldNC; 06-18-2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:41 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,053 Likes on 667 Posts
Default **Power Vision Information Thread**Sticky Approved by Admin

Question for the fellas here. So let's say I finished autotuning with my current motor configuration. Now I want to change my pipe. Still a 2-1 just like before but a different brand (rush 2-2 to a thunderheader). Should I start autotuning my base map all over again with the new pipe or run autotune on my finished map with the new pipe? Also would this apply if I changed heads on the same bike. Like if I had a clave job done before but then I had the heads ported?

Old 06-18-2015, 03:39 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason
Question for the fellas here. So let's say I finished autotuning with my current motor configuration. Now I want to change my pipe. Still a 2-1 just like before but a different brand (rush 2-2 to a thunderheader). Should I start autotuning my base map all over again with the new pipe or run autotune on my finished map with the new pipe? Also would this apply if I changed heads on the same bike. Like if I had a clave job done before but then I had the heads ported?
In either case, the new pipe, or a valve job or P&P heads etc. I would start from where you are. You are closer to the end state from where you are than the initial base tune.

But, having said that, you could start from either and get to the same end state, one might just take a couple more AT runs than the other.

I'd just start from where you are.

PS you don't metnion cams, but if you change cams that is going to change timing and you might want to look around for a similar build to see what their timing (spark tables) look like. But again, you didn't mention cams. I can't imagine doing head work if you aren't doing some type of performance cam.

Last edited by oldhippie; 06-18-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:39 PM
jack6hd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just installed my new Power Vision on my new 15 Low Rider. Did some Auto Tune rides and some work with the fuel in Quick Tunes and it really helped with decal popping after my stage 1 mods.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:52 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,053 Likes on 667 Posts
Default **Power Vision Information Thread**Sticky Approved by Admin

Originally Posted by oldhippie
In either case, the new pipe, or a valve job or P&P heads etc. I would start from where you are. You are closer to the end state from where you are than the initial base tune.

But, having said that, you could start from either and get to the same end state, one might just take a couple more AT runs than the other.

I'd just start from where you are.

PS you don't metnion cams, but if you change cams that is going to change timing and you might want to look around for a similar build to see what their timing (spark tables) look like. But again, you didn't mention cams. I can't imagine doing head work if you aren't doing some type of performance cam.
Thanks. I have cams already. But was just thinking out loud

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread