Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 09:57 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Too tired atm, Wife is giving me the look. Lol. Use the checkboxes and save/ load selected values in WinPV.Saves to and imports from a .pvv
G'night all.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:59 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Hrmm.. I'm confused when you say they don't support this log file format when it is being created by the unit natively- I did not do anything special to create this file.

I have a brand new PV-2 with latest firmware and latest WinPV software. The PV-2 ran the data logging, created this file, WinPV exported it from the PV-2 with the "get log" operation, and saved it with the pvv extension. If this log format is not supported for actual use, but logs are written to this format by default in brand new units, then I'd say DJ's software programmers or QA department are totally out to lunch..

Old 04-11-2015, 10:00 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
Too tired atm, Wife is giving me the look. Lol. Use the checkboxes and save/ load selected values in WinPV.Saves to and imports from a .pvv
G'night all.

LOL- yeh I know that look all too well. Have a good evening I will poke around some more in WinPV

Old 04-11-2015, 10:08 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Nope, no dice. Zero options in WinPV to import, apply, manage, view, convert or otherwise open a pvv datalog file. All WinPV will do is "get log" from the PV 2 unit and save the pvv to local file on hard drive.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:16 PM
scooterbum46
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by scooterbum46
I'm having an issue with random knock count on the front cylinder ('15 stock 103 TriGlide). The other two 103's ('12 SG and a '14 Limited) showed more knock counts on the rear cylinder, which is normal due to more heat, this one shows an occasional instance of a knock event on the rear, but for some reason will show several at a time on the front. I'm running FM's "stock improved" map for the next month or so (gotta get home to Michigan before the "big" order to FM), but when I first put the PV on this bike, it was doing the same thing with a stock map.

Running MegaLogViewer on the last log file, I cannot seem to find a correlation between when the knock events happen and a change in Map, TP, or other logged parameters. I know that the ECM "thinks" it's a real event, because the front cylinder advance gets backed way down until the event is over and then advances again. I know that it seemed worse on a 100 mile run the other day, as the AAT was over 90 degrees, ET eventually moved up to 230 and head temp was running 270-290, but again, I've seen this when it was much cooler. What I am suspecting is either false ION knock sensing due to a bad plug or plug wire, but am wondering if there are other reasons for this issue..
I did find a good explanation of ION knock sensing - one description by Wurktruk (RIP) and then a short and a long PDF found by searching Google for "ionization-current-sensing-ignition-subsystem.pdf" and "http://www.nav200.delphi.com/pdf/techpapers/2013-01-0354.pdf" .
Bottom line is that bad plugs, wires or coil problems could cause bogus random knock events. I'm going to start by checking all ignition wiring and then swapping plugs. If I can't make it go away, this'll be a tough one to sell at the dealership....

Old 04-12-2015, 03:59 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I did find a good explanation of ION knock sensing - one description by Wurktruk (RIP) and then a short and a long PDF found by searching Google for "ionization-current-sensing-ignition-subsystem.pdf" and "http://www.nav200.delphi.com/pdf/techpapers/2013-01-0354.pdf" .
Bottom line is that bad plugs, wires or coil problems could cause bogus random knock events. I'm going to start by checking all ignition wiring and then swapping plugs. If I can't make it go away, this'll be a tough one to sell at the dealership....
I try to not get too concerned with spark knocks 2 or blow. I too have noticed that the front cylinder on my 14 Limited has to be richer by about 2 % in load areas to keep the spark knock down. The 10 limited I had the rear had to be richer. For some reason the harley stock maps have the idle and low speed area richer on the front cylinder also on the 14 limited. Haven't looked at any of the Dyna or Softail stuff or air cooled. I know the computers on the canbus systems is much faster and may be set more sensitive on the Ion sensing. I run a Data Log and look for the spark knock and check the VE's in the spark knock area and if they are little leaner there will richen them up slightly and problem usually is gone. If it isn't lean there then I look at the spark table and if it can be reduced without causing a performance issue will knock it down a couple degrees. Usually can be reduced as it is already backing the timing off when it detects spark knock and I don't notice it. One thing for sure it will keep you busy chasing it. Above 2 you can fix it below sometimes can be fixed.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:07 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Hrmm.. I'm confused when you say they don't support this log file format when it is being created by the unit natively- I did not do anything special to create this file.

I have a brand new PV-2 with latest firmware and latest WinPV software. The PV-2 ran the data logging, created this file, WinPV exported it from the PV-2 with the "get log" operation, and saved it with the pvv extension. If this log format is not supported for actual use, but logs are written to this format by default in brand new units, then I'd say DJ's software programmers or QA department are totally out to lunch..
Sorry for the confusion. "Log-Tuner" is a seperate stand alone program/app. It was used in conjuction with Power Vision tuner and WinPV in the early versions. DJ combined LT and AT. The .pvv files don't have much use now. Go to Fuel Moto's website and look around for downloads, It's still in there I believe. Although DJ says it's obsolete and unsupported, It still has it's uses. Especially Timing adjustments with Tune paramaters in actuall use. "Not set up for AT, as in 14.6 AFR and minus 4 deg." Theres a manual for it as well as a lot of info in this thread, If you go back and start reading about 250- 300 pages. You should try plugging the PV into your comp/ Exit pc mode and play around with the guages screens. Then when you go for your next ride hook up PV and go to guages and log data that way. I'm sure it will work/save as .csv

Edit; You have set up folders for Tune files/Log Files/Value Files/ and the other one Original or Stock right?. (I'm trying to remember but it's been a while.) My tune is awesome and I log data once in a while just to see how things going. I do keep the PV mounted on my bars showing ET/TripA mpg/B+/and MAP readings.

Last edited by Smokey Stover; 04-12-2015 at 08:19 AM. Reason: add on
Old 04-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Crazylegs
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm having an issue with random knock count on the front cylinder ('15 stock 103 TriGlide). The other two 103's ('12 SG and a '14 Limited) showed more knock counts on the rear cylinder, which is normal due to more heat, this one shows an occasional instance of a knock event on the rear, but for some reason will show several at a time on the front. I'm running FM's "stock improved" map for the next month or so (gotta get home to Michigan before the "big" order to FM), but when I first put the PV on this bike, it was doing the same thing with a stock map.

Running MegaLogViewer on the last log file, I cannot seem to find a correlation between when the knock events happen and a change in Map, TP, or other logged parameters. I know that the ECM "thinks" it's a real event, because the front cylinder advance gets backed way down until the event is over and then advances again. I know that it seemed worse on a 100 mile run the other day, as the AAT was over 90 degrees, ET eventually moved up to 230 and head temp was running 270-290, but again, I've seen this when it was much cooler. What I am suspecting is either false ION knock sensing due to a bad plug or plug wire, but am wondering if there are other reasons for this issue..
Maybe you have this sorted by now but if not, swap your front and rear sparkplugs and try again.
Oh jeez I just noticed you are trying this, good luck it helped me.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:03 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

in my opinion the more automated it got the more dumbed down it got. I really like the automation for the VEs however I still keep a eye on them because it seems like there's always some area that goes weird. I really liked having log tuner available and supported. just don't see how it would be that difficult to at least give it minimal support and let people utilize it that want to.

I haven't really had any spark issues with the Fuel Moto map for my 14 SG. and I admit I don't understand how it works it just has not sunk in how it's recorded and the CAN bus system. all I've seen is little snippets and comments that I have yet to really read a full explanation of spark knock knock on the CAN bus and how it's recorded with the Power Vision

Old 04-12-2015, 11:25 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sam2010
........ I really liked having log tuner available and supported. just don't see how it would be that difficult to at least give it minimal support and let people utilize it that want to.
I agree- Especially considering the latest PV-2 and WinPV software will export and save the logged data, by default, in pvv file format. This is ridiculous because you cannot do anything with this logged data pvv file unless you can magically find an old copy of the Log Tuner software.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread