Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 07:54 AM
Harley Convert
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Autotune and mileage

I found a preloaded map on my Powervision that is tuned for fuel economy. The bike seems to be running ok with this map but I feel it can use a few auto tune runs to be better.

If I auto tune off of this map will I still have an "Economy" tune or will AT tune it more towards performance?

Old 04-08-2015, 08:58 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Convert

If I auto tune off of this map will I still have an "Economy" tune or will AT tune it more towards performance?
Short answer, Yes it will still be econo/lean. The PV Autotune only adjusts your VE tables for the best mix ratio air/fuel. Then you can manually adjust your AFR table for a richer mix if desired.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:57 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,156 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by monarchy
Are there any people in the Houston area that can work with the PV-2? I'm having some problems with the autotune feature and I'm about ready to just pay someone to figure it out.

I have a Breakout with SE204 cam, 2 into 1 V&H and A/C. I'm experiencing popping on acceleration and deceleration, temperatures in excess of 270 degrees, and fuel milage is about 28-30mpg(I'm not sure if thats good or not). I have been using the base map that FM sent me but after the 3rd or 4th autotune I'm still experiencing the same issues.
You are welcome to email us your latest Auto Tuned map thru our Map Request form http://www.fuelmotousa.com/fuel-maps.html
Please include with a full description of the issues you are encountering. I would also be helpful to provide a 20 minute datalog which can be attached to the form as well. If you need any assistance whatsoever you are welcome to contact us, we are here to help.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

The following users liked this post:
oldhippie (09-15-2017)
Old 04-11-2015, 01:33 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Hey fellow members, need some help. I bought a PV-2 from HD dealer, just got it set up today- the unit itself was easy to initialize, install PV software on PC, update with latest firmware, tune files, etc. - Also no issues hooking it up on my Breakout.

However, here is where the good times end. I bought this unit to better dial in my SE intake and VH 2-2 Big Radius pipes, get rid of some roll-off pop and decel pops, and run a more performance-oriented, less lean AFR table, maybe in the high 12 to low 14 range. Maybe adjust spark if optimal to do so. Essentially, looking for a bit more than the simple fuel pak units can offer.

Surprisingly, there were no pre-made tune files for the SE intake and VH 2-2 pipes, especially surprising considering these are very popular pipes. So I tried calling PV tech support to see if they had a tune file for me. I tried calling about 5 times throughout day and waited on hold 30+ minutes each time never getting anyone. Finally got through once, explained my needs clearly, and was given a rushed answer of "use the map for SE and Rinehart 2-2 pipes", also to "give +10% to decel fuel" and "add +3 degrees to decel spark". That was the end of the help offered.

So shortly thereafter I received an email reply from PV support- I had submitted my needs and question via email also since the phone attempts were a bust. Even though I gave a lot of detail, the tech replied with a very short answer "use the map for SE and VH Short Shots". ok, whatever. So I replied and mentioned that the phone tech told me to use the SE / Rinehart map, suggested modifying decel fuel and spark, and which one of these two maps would be better? I got back a reply saying "they both are similar and do the same thing". Wow. the depth of knowledge was astounding. OK so if all these tunes do the same thing, why have different tunes.

Anyway, while the PV-2 unit seems to be well done, the tech support that goes with it is a joke. I did have some expectation that this company takes some pride in what they do, and have some technical expertise on tuning Delphi HD's. Too high of an expectation on my part, obviously.

So I flashed the SE / Rinehart tune, and set the PV2 to auto tune basic, enabled autotune, and went for a 50 mile ride. Was not expecting anything since I'm aware of the auto tune parameters while engaged. I got home and checked the auto tune, it had logged zero hits and no changes to VE or percentages. No errors at all, it showed auto tune as still active and the unit was communicating with bike, but it was not doing anything.

I emailed this issue to PV and got back a short response "there must be an error, send us the error message". ok. I had just explained there was no error. Seriously poor help.

So- I disabled auto tune, shut off the bike and sort of left it at that. I looked at the SE / Rinehart tune file in WinPV and it really does not look much different on the AFR tables than a stock tune.

What are you guys doing to tune your bikes with the PV-2- going to a dyno or just crap shooting in the dark with messing around on the VE / spark tables? Anyone have a decent performance tune file covering SE intake and VH 2-2 pipes they can share for a 2013 103ci softail? The PV2 seems like a really nice unit with powerful capabilities, but without somewhat accurate tune files to go with it, or decent knowledgeable tech assistance from the mfr's staff to help you with it, it's about as useful right now as any of the cheaper fuel tuner piggyback boxes.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 04-11-2015 at 01:54 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:23 AM
airfuel
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everybody is in a rush to start auto tuning.

Try either of the maps and go for a ride.
Also, try what they said to help the decel pop.

Of course the a/f tables will look similar, it is the main VE table that will be different.

One more thing, everyone is out now that spring has arrived and tech support is getting heavily swamped with calls. Think about the poor bastard taking calls all day about problems, (many silly I'm sure) while I'm sure wishing he was out riding. Cut them a slight break.
Good luck!

Old 04-11-2015, 07:19 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Hey fellow members, need some help. I bought a PV-2 from HD dealer, just got it set up today- the unit itself was easy to initialize, install PV software on PC, update with latest firmware, tune files, etc. - Also no issues hooking it up on my Breakout.

However, here is where the good times end. I bought this unit to better dial in my SE intake and VH 2-2 Big Radius pipes, get rid of some roll-off pop and decel pops, and run a more performance-oriented, less lean AFR table, maybe in the high 12 to low 14 range. Maybe adjust spark if optimal to do so. Essentially, looking for a bit more than the simple fuel pak units can offer.

Surprisingly, there were no pre-made tune files for the SE intake and VH 2-2 pipes, especially surprising considering these are very popular pipes. So I tried calling PV tech support to see if they had a tune file for me. I tried calling about 5 times throughout day and waited on hold 30+ minutes each time never getting anyone. Finally got through once, explained my needs clearly, and was given a rushed answer of "use the map for SE and Rinehart 2-2 pipes", also to "give +10% to decel fuel" and "add +3 degrees to decel spark". That was the end of the help offered.

So shortly thereafter I received an email reply from PV support- I had submitted my needs and question via email also since the phone attempts were a bust. Even though I gave a lot of detail, the tech replied with a very short answer "use the map for SE and VH Short Shots". ok, whatever. So I replied and mentioned that the phone tech told me to use the SE / Rinehart map, suggested modifying decel fuel and spark, and which one of these two maps would be better? I got back a reply saying "they both are similar and do the same thing". Wow. the depth of knowledge was astounding. OK so if all these tunes do the same thing, why have different tunes.

Anyway, while the PV-2 unit seems to be well done, the tech support that goes with it is a joke. I did have some expectation that this company takes some pride in what they do, and have some technical expertise on tuning Delphi HD's. Too high of an expectation on my part, obviously.

So I flashed the SE / Rinehart tune, and set the PV2 to auto tune basic, enabled autotune, and went for a 50 mile ride. Was not expecting anything since I'm aware of the auto tune parameters while engaged. I got home and checked the auto tune, it had logged zero hits and no changes to VE or percentages. No errors at all, it showed auto tune as still active and the unit was communicating with bike, but it was not doing anything.

I emailed this issue to PV and got back a short response "there must be an error, send us the error message". ok. I had just explained there was no error. Seriously poor help.

So- I disabled auto tune, shut off the bike and sort of left it at that. I looked at the SE / Rinehart tune file in WinPV and it really does not look much different on the AFR tables than a stock tune.

What are you guys doing to tune your bikes with the PV-2- going to a dyno or just crap shooting in the dark with messing around on the VE / spark tables? Anyone have a decent performance tune file covering SE intake and VH 2-2 pipes they can share for a 2013 103ci softail? The PV2 seems like a really nice unit with powerful capabilities, but without somewhat accurate tune files to go with it, or decent knowledgeable tech assistance from the mfr's staff to help you with it, it's about as useful right now as any of the cheaper fuel tuner piggyback boxes.

Any help is appreciated.
This is where buying from FuelMoto would have been a major value add for you as they would have preloaded a custom map that would have been pretty close to right on. But, the good news is you can still get there from here pretty easily.

The canned maps they mentioned will be a decent starting point.

I would strongly suggest watching the YOutube PV videos for Loading a custom tune, and also the one for Autotuning. I seriously doubt you have bum PV, much more likely you missed a step in the process.

Make sure after you flash the custom tune, that you run Autotune and then press the Datalog button. You'll get the green screen cell map that you can monitor. Try it again, I'll bet it works. You will see the cells taking hits on the screen as you sit in neutral and rev the engine.

You'll need to run a few of these, and iteratively flash them into your ECM and do the process again. Each time you will get closer and closer to your bike's VE tables. You'll feel the bike getting smoother as you do a few of these.

Now, the suggestions for your decel popping. You can load that first custom tune you have to WinPV and open it, and set the Decel Enleanment 10% and I think he is just referring to the 0% throttle for the +3 degrees decel spark. (?) although I don't have a PV2 so my older PV may not have that table. I've got an older bike. But you can set these at anytime, you don't need to do the ATs to set these decel adjustments.

I've talked to these guys at BikeWeeks. they are understaffed, over-worked, and usually some of them are off at a BikeWeek or a show someplace doing show or tech support. But they are good guys and helpful.

Seriously, this is where FuelMoto shines, with custom tunes and after the fact support, but we'll get you through it.

Keep smiling, you have an awesome ride! The PV takes a bit of practice to get good with it, as it is a complex tool for a complex job, but it is a great tool once you get to know it. Stick around and have some patience.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:28 AM
scooterbum46
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm having an issue with random knock count on the front cylinder ('15 stock 103 TriGlide). The other two 103's ('12 SG and a '14 Limited) showed more knock counts on the rear cylinder, which is normal due to more heat, this one shows an occasional instance of a knock event on the rear, but for some reason will show several at a time on the front. I'm running FM's "stock improved" map for the next month or so (gotta get home to Michigan before the "big" order to FM), but when I first put the PV on this bike, it was doing the same thing with a stock map.

Running MegaLogViewer on the last log file, I cannot seem to find a correlation between when the knock events happen and a change in Map, TP, or other logged parameters. I know that the ECM "thinks" it's a real event, because the front cylinder advance gets backed way down until the event is over and then advances again. I know that it seemed worse on a 100 mile run the other day, as the AAT was over 90 degrees, ET eventually moved up to 230 and head temp was running 270-290, but again, I've seen this when it was much cooler. What I am suspecting is either false ION knock sensing due to a bad plug or plug wire, but am wondering if there are other reasons for this issue..

Old 04-11-2015, 01:19 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Thank you Steve for the pointers I'll go back through it. I'm sure too, I missed a step and I did watch vids / read guides. My mistake was trying to rely on the mfr for assistance and I should have just come here first.

For Fuel Moto, they sound great but I don't think that helps me as I'm not spending another $500 on a second PV-2, just to get some solid support. Who would have though that the manufacturer is the worst source of help and only one specific reseller can provide accurate guidance, if you happen to buy from them?

As with everything else I've done on these bikes over the years I will eventually learn the newer Delphi tuning process and how the maps / tables work on the PV-2, it was just rather vexing to drop the cash and not be able to get some decent help on a few initial questions. As always, the forum community here is the best.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:22 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting ready to do my first auto tune now I have some miles on the fresh top end. I have watched the video many times and the only question I have is on the Lambda fuel air and retarding the front cylinder does this have to be done using a computer or can it all be done by the power vision its self? I am guessing have to use the computer please correct me if I am wrong?
Thanks
Jeff

I am not using a tune that Roy sent me from Dyno Jet that works OK but did have to rich en the low end a little and is the tune I am going to work with. It was a basic tune for my set up or so I was told. I have run it the last few weeks and put over a 1000 miles on the fresh top end.
Thanks
Jeff

Last edited by 46u; 04-11-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:26 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see where some are saying they have had trouble with teck support. My experience for the most part I have gotten great help from most of the teck folks. I started out using email and then by phone and I always use the same person and he has been very help full.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread