Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 11:42 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by misfitJason
can anyone guide me in how to lean up my sartup enrichement? My afr upon start up drops to about 10.6 to 1 and it is almost stalling. I am breaking in the new motor right now and am running a accurate base map and it runs great except for my startup enrichement. I have not been able to autotune due to my break in. I am wondering if after I dial in my VE's if it will help this situation
You can reduce the Warmup enrichment under the fuel tab from top to bottom by subtracting 0.3. The VE's should be around 62 to 65 in the first 9 blocks in the top left corner of both Front and Rear. That is the first 3 rows and 3 columns. You can also just reduce the current numbers by 5.
If it is still too rich reduce them another 5 points at a time until it is running ok at idle. If you get it too low it will idle too fast and hesitate and or pop when you try to accelerate from idle. You can also reduce this straight from the quicktune screen without using the computer. If you don't have quicktune you need to update your firmware using the Update Client.
The autotune also tries to reduce the off idle response a little too much when using it on cams. At least it always has for me.
You can also reduce the cranking fuel with cams 1 full point from top to bottom and will help with the starting especially when warmed up they tend to flood easily some times.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:46 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,053 Likes on 667 Posts

Thank you very much for the info^

Old 01-15-2015, 10:07 AM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I knew I was getting forgetful. I was re-reading some older post and ran across a post about showing the deltas in %. I forgot I could do that! Now I know why I was confusing myself earlier.

I am getting close now. Looking at the delta numbers I have most dialed in with two runs. I have a couple of odd 7 and 9% on front and rear cylinders that I suspect were cells I didn't hit before. I will do a couple of more AT runs just to see what happens.

I would assume since it is 40ish degrees right now that I would need to do another AT test when it warms up. What are the thoughts on that?

Old 01-16-2015, 11:18 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ke5rbd
You can reduce the Warmup enrichment under the fuel tab from top to bottom by subtracting 0.3. The VE's should be around 62 to 65 in the first 9 blocks in the top left corner of both Front and Rear. That is the first 3 rows and 3 columns. You can also just reduce the current numbers by 5.
If it is still too rich reduce them another 5 points at a time until it is running ok at idle. If you get it too low it will idle too fast and hesitate and or pop when you try to accelerate from idle. You can also reduce this straight from the quicktune screen without using the computer. If you don't have quicktune you need to update your firmware using the Update Client.
The autotune also tries to reduce the off idle response a little too much when using it on cams. At least it always has for me.
You can also reduce the cranking fuel with cams 1 full point from top to bottom and will help with the starting especially when warmed up they tend to flood easily some times.
My ve's in the first three columns are about 85 on rear cyl and 80 on front cylinder before I lowered them and smoothed
I reduced my warmup enrichment by 0.3 like you said and theN lowered them by 5 and smoothed. I will try and start the bike tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited by misfitJason; 01-16-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:18 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by misfitJason
My ve's in the first three columns are about 85 on rear cyl and 80 on front cylinder before I lowered them and smoothed
I reduced my warmup enrichment by 0.3 like you said and theN lowered them by 5 and smoothed. I will try and start the bike tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.
I just noticed you are running 3.91 injectors and not 4.35's. You will probably have around 70 to 75 when you get it idling correct.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:41 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

Cool. Thx

Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

I was thinking some new maps from FM or DJ might have a bit more tweaking from experience gained, so I downloaded a new map from the DJ PV site:

15T103002402 Year:2014-2015 Model: Touring - Twin Cooled Stage 1 air cleaner Fuel Moto Jackpot 2/1/2 head pipe Rinehart slip ons -

loaded it into "compare" with my last Autotune.

why would the new map have 0.0 in all the VE (TPS Based/front cyl) & rear cylinder blocks? that kind of surprised me, and

why would the EITMS be set to 581 degrees Fahrenheit?

and in the VE (map based/front cyl) table, there is a LARGE lump in the low RPM range, where my autotune is much smoother.

morale of this story: always inspect a free canned tune..they may be worth what you paid.

i think I will stick with my autotune as the basis for further tuning now that cold weather is here.

however, is there a way to cut & paste the timing table out of the Canned Tune into my Autotune? i tried the cut & paste buttons while in compare, would not work.
edit: had to open the DJ tune, copy it, close the DJ tune, open my tune, then paste in the timing tables.

2nd edit: some firmware updates available for the PV, just happened to check and there was 2 there.

Last edited by 04ctd; 01-21-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:23 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior

I will try to answer some of your questions in line.

Originally Posted by 04ctd
I was thinking some new maps from FM or DJ might have a bit more tweaking from experience gained, so I downloaded a new map from the DJ PV site:

15T103002402 Year:2014-2015 Model: Touring - Twin Cooled Stage 1 air cleaner Fuel Moto Jackpot 2/1/2 head pipe Rinehart slip ons -

why would the new map have 0.0 in all the VE (TPS Based/front cyl) & rear cylinder blocks? that kind of surprised me, and
The TPS is not used and only Map is used. This is very common. You can populate the TPS and change the VE table selection to 0 and it will use the TPS VE table AFTER you populate it.

This is Twin Cooled map and Twin Cooled use ambient temps above 80 F I think to activate the EITMS.

and in the VE (map based/front cyl) table, there is a LARGE lump in the low RPM range, where my autotune is much smoother.
The large lump is the idle area. The reason the area around it is larger is to improve the off idle response. If you raise the area to match the off idle area the idle will be too rich. In the same token if you let the autotune lower the VE numbers around idle area it will cause less throttle response when you take off mostly in 1st gear. I generally leave the off idle area about 2 to 5% larger than idle VE which is in the 30 to 35 Kpa and 1000 rpm area on the Map based VE's and in the 1-3-5 Throttle position on the TPS map.

morale of this story: always inspect a free canned tune..they may be worth what you paid.
The 2010 thru 2013 Touring all used MAP Kpa for the VE tables. The 14 up touring can use either. SEPST uses TPS only. To me it is harder to get TPS working just right. The MAP is much more forgiving. I like using the TPS better as when you get it working right it is more responsive to me as you can control which VE cell it uses at a given Throttle position better than with the MAP based VE table. If you move the throttle real quick to say 1/2 open the Map based table will jump all the way to 100% load and use that VE cell set, whereas the TPS will use what ever is in the 50% throttle position which is usually a little leaner and will react better. Just my personal preference.

i think I will stick with my autotune as the basis for further tuning now that cold weather is here.

however, is there a way to cut & paste the timing table out of the Canned Tune into my Autotune? i tried the cut & paste buttons while in compare, would not work.
edit: had to open the DJ tune, copy it, close the DJ tune, open my tune, then paste in the timing tables.
You can highlight and copy from the compare table, but can't cut or paste to it. You can only change a value in the Active File table.

2nd edit: some firmware updates available for the PV, just happened to check and there was 2 there.
The last one will change the number of Custom Tune slots to 8. No idea what the other one does.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:30 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,156 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by 04ctd

There is nothing out of the ordinary and there are no "large lumps" in this tune, it is actually quite the opposite and pretty smooth with no significant transitions. Many maps actually have a much sharper curve in the VE tables. VE values will not necessarily be smooth, nor do they need to be. VE represents the airflow model, sometimes this looks like sharp mountains, other times a bit smoother. If yours looks a bit different it is simply a representation of what your combination wants. Simply put, you cannot judge a map by how smooth the VE tables look. What do you have for specific mods?

Pretty much all of the FM and DJ maps for Rushmore bikes are setup RPM X MAP, we set the VE values in the alternate TP based table to zero.

EITMS is turned off in that specifc calibration, if you prefer to have it on it can be enabled in WinPv.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 01-22-2015, 12:32 PM
tjhog
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm just riding an ol' 96"er w/ Stage 1 a/c & slip-ons. Had a Ness Big Shot tuner - which had very little effect on how the bike ran. Switched over to the PV1 and really woke that motor up. It does way more than I know how to - but am looking forward to learning it bit by bit. Great how to videos on you tube. But the only real down side is now I have to spend more $$$ - cuz now I gotta do cams ... dam !!! Hate it when that happens.

Last edited by tjhog; 01-23-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread