Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
It's simply a fact that a richer mixture lowers combustion chamber temperatures. The extra unburned has a cooling effect. Everyone who has gone from stock engine tune to a custom one sees temp drops.
I keep hearing it's a fact I do not see that is a fact of any significant difference. .977 is same temps as .981 from my observations. seems the internet forums toss around AFR like it's some kind of super cooling. its not what I am seeing in 4 years of observation.....

Old 06-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam2010
I keep hearing it's a fact I do not see that is a fact of any significant difference. .977 is same temps as .981 from my observations. seems the internet forums toss around AFR like it's some kind of super cooling. its not what I am seeing in 4 years of observation.....
You are absolutely correct that you will not see a decrease in temps going from .981 to .977, and I hope that no one here ever made such a claim. First off, those ranges are still within closed loop, which is not where you're gonna see temp decreases. Second, even if it was open loop, the difference between .981 and .977 is nothing in terms of temperature. Gas mileage, maybe.

However there is a huge difference between .977 and .890. If you want to keep your cruise range in closed loop, it's not gonna change temps much anywhere inside closed loop. But idle, decel, accel, high MAP, high RPM...all of these areas we tuners dump extra fuel because these are the areas where it is needed for temp reduction. Stock maps don't do this, and you will see a temp reduction OVERALL if you add extra fuel in these areas. Not to mention more power and decreased exhaust popping.

You keep nay-saying but you haven't shared what you have tried. You have a beautiful bike, btw.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:23 PM
Moneywoes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FinalShot
got it tuned by a guy that used to live in AZ and moved here to Ft. Worth. I've seen his name before here and comes highly recommended.

Steve from GMR performance? Was originally on beach street in Fort Worth when he first opened shop here last year. Has since moved his shop to Keller.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:13 AM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Moneywoes
Steve from GMR performance? Was originally on beach street in Fort Worth when he first opened shop here last year. Has since moved his shop to Keller.
Yes, that's him. I've heard he's a good dyno guy. He's not but a couple miles from me.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:16 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchflhx
I posted this in another section also.

I just received my PV2. I installed all of the software, updated all software and firmware. While installing the PV the screen got nicked ( the plastic cover). After connecting to the bike I was able to download a tune, and started setting up the gauges. I got part of the way through, and the touch screen stopped responding. I turn the bike off and back on, and the PV is still on the gauge setup screen and locked.
Also I thought the instructions said that the stock tune would be down loaded to the PV while installing a custom tune. I reconnected the PV to my computer and the stock tune was not listed. Any ideas?

Also does the on/off switch do anything? It does not respond to anything, short duration press, or a longer duration press......nothing. Thanks for any help.
On the PV you should be able to push LOAD TUNE then LOAD COPY then LOAD COPY OF ORIGINAL

Don't worry if it isn't in one of the Tune Slots. I believe the PV saves the ORIGINAL automatically when it first marrys the bike.

Try it and let us know. I think you'll be okay. ...but I'm just another bozo on the bus out here.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:13 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Yep,original tune is saved as a .stk file, loading copy of original into the PV will be a .pvt file you can use to compare with in Win PV. You don't have to flash it to the ECM just load it into the PV. Then use get tune in WinPV.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:14 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
You are absolutely correct that you will not see a decrease in temps going from .981 to .977, and I hope that no one here ever made such a claim. First off, those ranges are still within closed loop, which is not where you're gonna see temp decreases. Second, even if it was open loop, the difference between .981 and .977 is nothing in terms of temperature. Gas mileage, maybe.

However there is a huge difference between .977 and .890. If you want to keep your cruise range in closed loop, it's not gonna change temps much anywhere inside closed loop. But idle, decel, accel, high MAP, high RPM...all of these areas we tuners dump extra fuel because these are the areas where it is needed for temp reduction. Stock maps don't do this, and you will see a temp reduction OVERALL if you add extra fuel in these areas. Not to mention more power and decreased exhaust popping.

You keep nay-saying but you haven't shared what you have tried. You have a beautiful bike, btw.

Thank you for complement on bike and your right I have nay-saying. I am not having any issues with my current bike it is running really smooth. I have never been more pleased.

I did do a lot of playing with my 10 street glide and open loop close loop didn't seem to matter much on temps. I don't miss that bike. Understand I am more curious than anything what does a Cooling fuel strategy look like? I am so curious as to why one bike was so hot and this bike seems normal and my 14 bike is leaner.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:04 PM
mitchflhx
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie
On the PV you should be able to push LOAD TUNE then LOAD COPY then LOAD COPY OF ORIGINAL

Don't worry if it isn't in one of the Tune Slots. I believe the PV saves the ORIGINAL automatically when it first marrys the bike.

Try it and let us know. I think you'll be okay. ...but I'm just another bozo on the bus out here.
We'll I followed the instructions sent by Dynojet to recover the PV2. I still could not communicate via the touch screen. I called the next day and got a RA number. I sent it back and am waiting to hear from them. I will keep you posted.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:27 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchflhx
We'll I followed the instructions sent by Dynojet to recover the PV2. I still could not communicate via the touch screen. I called the next day and got a RA number. I sent it back and am waiting to hear from them. I will keep you posted.
Sorry, I responding to how to recover the original stock tune. But of course the PV actually needs to be a working unit first. Good that you got an RA.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Toliverpeterson
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We just got a second bike in the family. Is there a way we can use the programmer on the second bike? Can we buy a second unlock code or something?

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread