Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FinalShot
Haa, I'm an A&P with my IA. Have worked on many pistons but my main focus is corporate aviation and all the piston stuff is helping buddies and clubs out when I have the time.

Yes, my timing is aggressive and is why my AFR probably looks different than most. I think the hottest I have seen on ET was 275 and I pulled over and added fuel to the area and was able to bring it down to 255. I had knock too when I first started with the map and it was around the 3-4000 range and about 75-90 MAP, hence the dramatic retard in those ranges.

If it were me, I would turn on logging and go make a couple runs. Some of mine where a hour before I could find just the right conditions. I also did a combination of cruise control and manual. With the log file, you will see exactly where the knock events happen, the timing range and the retard needed to correct the issue. Without the log files, you really are just getting in the range of knock. I was surprised that knock was happening in areas outside of my mental notes where I thought there happening.

When I was doing my tuning, I would take my laptop with me so that when I found a road area that caused a knock or I didn't like the acceleration up a hill, I could pull over, make adjustments and load a new tune and then run the same road a couple times.

One time, I was on highway 730 and had made 4 runs in a 5 miles stretch. Didn't notice at the time but there was a local sheriff radaring traffic. I went by him several times and he finally pulled out and pulled me over thinking I needed help or had lost something on the highway. We talked a bit about what I was doing and even made the comment that if I needed to do a WOT run that I could and he'd understand but just keep it under 100 when there was no traffic. He's a biker too. I didn't take him up on his offer.

Where are you located in Texas? If you are close, we can make a plan to meet up and make a couple of runs.
Haha, seems lots of aviation guys are bikers as well. I'm an A&P but been out of the game for years, decided to start my own business in a completely different industry...see my pic.

I will definitely get out and do some logged runs and then see what I need to do. I'm down in Austin, so maybe one of these days we can meet somewhere in the middle. Bringing the laptop along is a good idea. Pretty cool about that cop. I'm always worried I'm gonna get a ticket whenever I'm out doing tuning runs.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:09 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FartBoy
Brand new, install at dealer

after start up screen, there is a "?" on the on the STATUS icon, I press the status, goes to Verifying ECU communication...
"Couldn't get vehicle info
Strange, I have not heard of that one before. Maybe another member can help out.

I'd call the dealer and take it back to them since they did the install.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FinalShot
Strange, I have not heard of that one before. Maybe another member can help out.

I'd call the dealer and take it back to them since they did the install.
I second that, sounds like the dealer didn't set it up correctly.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:19 PM
tstroud
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you verify that both ends of the power vision cable are plugged in completely?

Old 06-08-2014, 01:07 PM
FartBoy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
I second that, sounds like the dealer didn't set it up correctly.
I'll go back to the dealer
I noticed there is no original tune , just the one the dealer loaded

Thanks guy
FB

Old 06-08-2014, 07:36 PM
mitchflhx
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Screen locked

I posted this in another section also.

I just received my PV2. I installed all of the software, updated all software and firmware. While installing the PV the screen got nicked ( the plastic cover). After connecting to the bike I was able to download a tune, and started setting up the gauges. I got part of the way through, and the touch screen stopped responding. I turn the bike off and back on, and the PV is still on the gauge setup screen and locked.
Also I thought the instructions said that the stock tune would be down loaded to the PV while installing a custom tune. I reconnected the PV to my computer and the stock tune was not listed. Any ideas?

Also does the on/off switch do anything? It does not respond to anything, short duration press, or a longer duration press......nothing. Thanks for any help.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:02 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mitchflhx
I posted this in another section also.

I just received my PV2. I installed all of the software, updated all software and firmware. While installing the PV the screen got nicked ( the plastic cover). After connecting to the bike I was able to download a tune, and started setting up the gauges. I got part of the way through, and the touch screen stopped responding. I turn the bike off and back on, and the PV is still on the gauge setup screen and locked.
Also I thought the instructions said that the stock tune would be down loaded to the PV while installing a custom tune. I reconnected the PV to my computer and the stock tune was not listed. Any ideas?

Also does the on/off switch do anything? It does not respond to anything, short duration press, or a longer duration press......nothing. Thanks for any help.
You should be able to power off the ignition and the run switch to power off the PV. If the unit is locked up, the power button will not respond. Or, you can disconnect the plug from the back of the unit.

From Jamie regarding the original tune:
When you connect your Power Vision to the WinPv software it will automatically prompt you to save a copy of your original binary .stk which will be saved in Documents>Power Vision>Original Tunes, it will continue to ask every time you connect if it does not see a copy. If you would like to view and work with the original tune in PV format on the device you will go to Program Vehicle>Load Copy>Copy of Original and you will then place it in a slot in the tune manager, you will then connect to the WinPv software, click Get Tune and select the appropriate map from the tune manager. You can then view, compare or edit the tune.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:33 PM
JeffJA
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats not a "power" button, its a reset button, you stick a pick or a pen in there to reset it, so ive been told.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:01 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JeffJA
Thats not a "power" button, its a reset button, you stick a pick or a pen in there to reset it, so ive been told.
You must be thinking of something else. The power button, on the face of the PV will turn the unit on or off with a simple press. If I remember right, you press for about a second and it will power down. I do know that if the unit is locked up, the power button does not work.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:06 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

duplicate....

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread