Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 12:05 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,156 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by rage1187
Called jamie and asked. He said with the stainless 2.1.2 it will be normal.
When you initially flash the ECM a few things need to fall into place upon startup related to adaptive control. Adaptive idle will will move AF and spark timing around until it levelizes out and it may take a couple of run cycles for the the mixture to smooth out as closed loop becomes active.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 05-23-2014, 12:07 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by papifun
Question with those with 107 build. With PV tune.
When bike goes into ETIMS mode. Does bike idle real rough or stall ? I have mine disabled since did my 107 build.
While I go not generally prefer EITMS, the bike should not stall. However the idle will have the odd cadence.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:38 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sam2010

I just did stage 1. 2-1-2 Super stock (S&S) exhaust Fuel moto intake and their base map and my bike ran really good first cracker out of the box. To be really honest very pleasantly surprised.

I was going to ride to water front and eat at the Ram so thought I would warm it up and see how it ran before any auto tunes. Bike seem to run so good I did not stop and start auto tune I just went down and ate. On way back I monitored spark knock note to self front cylinder will need a little work possibly will see after I have VEs set.

I have been watching my Engine temp before and after the fuel moto down load and the temp did not go up. Stayed about the same.

Observation before I put my wards fans on watching temps the new way they start EITMS by ambient air temp my new bike maxed out at 289* My 2010 street glide maxed out at 310* With wards fan on my Ets can run 240s and less.
Note that knock retard on the databus is represented differently on the 14 bike, it is now accumulated knock retard degrees rather than individual knock events as with earlier models. Adaptive knock retard strategy in itself also works quite differently on the 14's, it is very sensitive and in most combination pulls timing excessively.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:42 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
Note that knock retard on the databus is represented differently on the 14 bike, it is now accumulated knock retard degrees rather than individual knock events as with earlier models. Adaptive knock retard strategy in itself also works quite differently on the 14's, it is very sensitive and in most combination pulls timing excessively.
hmm.. very interesting.... sounds like one more reason to keep me away from the mail slot.... at least until DJ, TTS, SE, and all others start documenting some of this stuff..

Old 05-23-2014, 03:06 PM
rage1187
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
When you initially flash the ECM a few things need to fall into place upon startup related to adaptive control. Adaptive idle will will move AF and spark timing around until it levelizes out and it may take a couple of run cycles for the the mixture to smooth out as closed loop becomes active.
Just wigged me out a little, and still a little hesitant. Out of everything i have read i havent ran across people that had this happen to them with the setup. Maybe its because i finished the install up at night so it was more visable. idle is perfect though. no dips, no hesitation at all. i guess thats what threw me for a loop.

I lit a smoke, and blew it around the collectors both front and rear. No visable sign to the naked eye that would give the impression that there is a leak of any kind. just heat cycled the bike for the 3rd time. Gonna recheck all the bolts, nuts that i had loosend and recheck head pipe nuts then wipe it all down and put the sheilds back on along with saddle bags.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:00 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Jamie, thanks for stopping in to help with bits of info. With that information I am less concerned. obviously I've got some ways to go to understanding the canbus.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:56 PM
rage1187
Advanced

review:

Just installed the fuel moto jackpot stainless steel 2/1/2 head pipe. jackpot 4" mufflers, AC, and PV2.

Had some worries and still do on the glowing but i will take the advice of jamie who is far more experienced than me when he says just give it a little bit until it relearns. I displayed the engine temps while i went for a test cruise which was only a quick 20 minute ride. that being said......

At idle, It might be just a hair and i say that as honestly as i can just a hair louder than stock. it has a bit more of a bass tone to it. Cruising speed...again. just the same as stock. Taking off, if you leave like your in no hurry, same as stock. Moderate take off or harder acceleration, totally different animal. Sounds like a fkn harley now.

Throttle: This is how this thing should come stock. The respose is immediate and there is no lag like there use to be. It is smooth and crisp. It will hold a steady throttle even at 2nd gear town cruising with no lope.

Im sure there is more and i will moniter alot more. Right now at the top of my head im monitoring engine temp ( was 215 degrees F at 65mph cruise set ), and under harder acceleration ( letting her stretch her legs i did not exceed 270 give or take. ) But there is my review. im hoping the glow of the head pipe will go away, so i can sleep.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:51 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Just wigged me out a little, and still a little hesitant. Out of everything i have read i havent ran across people that had this happen to them with the setup. Maybe its because i finished the install up at night so it was more visable. idle is perfect though. no dips, no hesitation at all. i guess thats what threw me for a loop.

I lit a smoke, and blew it around the collectors both front and rear. No visable sign to the naked eye that would give the impression that there is a leak of any kind. just heat cycled the bike for the 3rd time. Gonna recheck all the bolts, nuts that i had loosend and recheck head pipe nuts then wipe it all down and put the sheilds back on along with saddle bags.

Rage, when you say you "heat cycled" it? What does that mean? Does that mean sitting dead still on the side stand for a prolonged period of time? Even idling for 5 or 10 minutes at a standstill is going to get those pipes VERY hot.

Or does it mean, riding the bike? I'm not familiar with this heat cycle you speak of.

The wind is your friend.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:55 PM
rage1187
Advanced

hippie:

In the directions for the head pipe, it says to heat cycle the head pipe 3-4 times. This is keeping the bike on the kick stand, ideling. it says not to rev it up or anything. And also said to do it for five minutes and making sure bike is cooled down before doing it again.

As soon as i started it, i bet within the first minute she would start to glow.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:03 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

hippie:

In the directions for the head pipe, it says to heat cycle the head pipe 3-4 times. This is keeping the bike on the kick stand, ideling. it says not to rev it up or anything. And also said to do it for five minutes and making sure bike is cooled down before doing it again.

As soon as i started it, i bet within the first minute she would start to glow.
heh.. well, sounds like you're doing it by the book so that's good.

I will say I have seen pipes glow. ...and that was on a completely stock 08, prior to any cats or any of that stuff. That bike just ran that hot.

Everything else you report sounds like a very successful install, and now it's time for you to do some autotunes.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread