Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Moneywoes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PV tune Timming ve head temps

Tunning my 2012 Tri glide with PV pro. cylinders were out of round from apparently to much heat, so bore honed to 3.91", 105 pistons, GMR 577 cam, Intake lift .577 dur 243 open 20 close 43 Exhaust lift .555 dur 238 open 43 close 15. .040 head gasket, 10.12:1 compression, 9.2:1 corrected,190 ccp.(Big Boyz calculator, not measured) Heavy breather intake, V&H power dual headpipe, RC component 4" mufflers.
Used a CVO 110 stock improved starting tune, manaully scaled up to 115ci to get VE's under 127.5. VE's are now stable. This is my second attempt at a happy Auto tune. First time I used a 103 CI starting tune and let it auto scale. It went to 121.3 CI before it quit scaling and VE's stabilized to 1-2%.
Running all open loop 13.9 cruise range. Trike seems to run Ok, but head temps on PV will easily get to 285+ and EITMS will kick in pretty quickly at red lights at times.
I can't get LT to work, but data logging shows hardly any spark knock retard events. Maybe 2-3 in a 45 minute log. Been last fall since I did them off the 103 tune so going off memory. I retuned with the CVO 110 starting tune last week because of the seemingly high head temps. Now with the Ve's stabil with the 110 tune head temps still seem to get high quickly and easily. Both tunes have max spark advances in the 44-45 degree range. Is this too much advance for a 1200 lb trike? 1420-1430 with rider?
My understanding is more advance will hold heat in the heads, less advance will push more heat to the exhaust. Whats the downside to pulling 2-3 degree timming from the 30-60 kpa 2000-3000 rpm area?

Thanks

Last edited by Moneywoes; 04-01-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by peg20
If you have a lambda-based tune, then closed-loop aims for your target lambda specified in the AFR table. If you have an AFR-based tune, then closed-loop aims for what it *thinks* is stoich, which you specify by voltage in the Closed-Loop-Bias table. Either way, you control where the target lambda is.
Ok now I'm totally confused. When viewing the tables in PV, you can switch back and forth between lambda and AFR with a click. What do you mean "lambda-based" or "AFR-based" tunes?

Old 04-01-2014, 05:51 PM
azlou66
Road Captain

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by stailjim61
First make sure you don't have even the slightest exhaust leak.

Cap and make a couple more runs.

If you still get that many maxed out then raise the CI 3% and lower the entire VE tables 3%. Then make a couple runs and see what happens. If raising the CI is the resolve only raise it enough to gain enough headroom to stay under maxing out.
Thanks Jim, will do.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Moneywoes
Trike seems to run Ok, but head temps on PV will easily get to 285+ and EITMS will kick in pretty quickly at red lights at times.
There is no where for the heat to go on a trike. Wardspartswerks FCS fans cured my head temp woes. On the highway my head temps will be 280 ish but when I hit the exit ramps to a secondary road my temps will fall to 260ish. The EITMS does not come on.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Moneywoes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta
Wardspartswerks FCS fans cured my head temp woes. On the highway my head temps will be 280 ish but when I hit the exit ramps to a secondary road my temps will fall to 260ish. The EITMS does not come on.
Thanks Delta
I also have the Wardspartswerks FCS fans. My head temps will stay in check if I'm running the fans, and EITMS won't come on if the fans are running. My thermostat switch quit, so if I don't turn them on they aren't on. I just feel like temps get too hot too quick if the fans aren't on. I feel pretty good about my VE's, cold starts are good. Hot starts aren't bad, but not as good as cold starts. Really wondering if a little less timeing would hurt anything, and is that much advance required for a good tune?

Old 04-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Moneywoes
Thanperformanceelta
I also have the Wardspartswerks FCS fans. My head temps will stay in check if I'm running 4he fans, and EITMS won't come on ifI''ee fans are running. My thermostat switch quit, so if I don't turn them on they aren't on. I just feel like temps get too hot too quick if the fans aren't on. I feel pretty good about my VE's, cold starts are good. Hot starts aren't bad, but not as good as cold starts. Really wondering if a little less timeing would hurt anything, and is that much advance required for a good tune?
FYI, Jason has a new snap switch thermostat, Works very good for me. Fans come on at 200 and shut off after cooling down to 145. Also 44-45 deg. Is a bit much from what Iv'e learned in this thread,You probably won't notice any performance loss pulling a couple deg.It won't hurt to try and log a couple runs, your motor may like it. Search stailjim61's posts on timing for a lot of good info.

Last edited by Smokey Stover; 04-01-2014 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spellin
Old 04-03-2014, 12:31 AM
stailjim61
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
Ok so that's the opposite of what Delta said. So which is it? And if CL is always aiming for stoich then there is no point in even having values set in the CL range of the table.

So do you recommend just disabling CL?
The system only works one way. The 02's read and report and the ECM reacts to whatever the 02s report. That's it. Whatever you set lambda table up for is how the ECM reacts. Meaning the closer to 1.00 you are the closer to stoich. The farther you get away from 1.00 the farther away from stoich you get. All you're doing is changing the point at which the ECM sees as the crossing point to shift between rich and lean. A closed loop system is constantly going from rich to lean to rich to lean, based on whatever number you have set up. The sensors work their best centered. Either way the system is chasing stoich. It may be .1, or whatever, away from actual stoich, but the ECM doesn't know any better. It doesn't know that we have manipulated the rich lean rich line. The integrators are going to do the same thing, they just do it at the setting in your table. The bottom line is closed loop is/was designed to chase stoich. Different fuel blends have a different stoich point. Does the ECM know this? Nope. It has no clue what fuel blend you just filled up with. What it does know is what the 02s are reporting. Once it gets that report it starts its dance of swinging rich lean rich around whatever you set up in the table. It will still chase whatever stoich is for that fuel blend. It serves the EPA and helps to save catalytic converters. Even if you run a little richer in your table you are still so close to stoich that it doesn't make much difference. If you're wondering whether to run closed loop or open loop think about like this: before closed loop came about did anyone tuning a Harley set it up to run 14.6? None did. Closed loop is an EPA lean, hot running tune...period. Get your VE's dialed in and run it open loop around 14.0 and your motor will be happier. Just my opinion...you need to make the final decision.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs up

The system only works one way. The 02's read and report and the ECM reacts to whatever the 02s report. That's it. Whatever you set lambda table up for is how the ECM reacts. Meaning the closer to 1.00 you are the closer to stoich. The farther you get away from 1.00 the farther away from stoich you get. All you're doing is changing the point at which the ECM sees as the crossing point to shift between rich and lean. A closed loop system is constantly going from rich to lean to rich to lean, based on whatever number you have set up. The sensors work their best centered. Either way the system is chasing stoich. It may be .1, or whatever, away from actual stoich, but the ECM doesn't know any better. It doesn't know that we have manipulated the rich lean rich line. The integrators are going to do the same thing, they just do it at the setting in your table. The bottom line is closed loop is/was designed to chase stoich. Different fuel blends have a different stoich point. Does the ECM know this? Nope. It has no clue what fuel blend you just filled up with. What it does know is what the 02s are reporting. Once it gets that report it starts its dance of swinging rich lean rich around whatever you set up in the table. It will still chase whatever stoich is for that fuel blend. It serves the EPA and helps to save catalytic converters. Even if you run a little richer in your table you are still so close to stoich that it doesn't make much difference. If you're wondering whether to run closed loop or open loop think about like this: before closed loop came about did anyone tuning a Harley set it up to run 14.6? None did. Closed loop is an EPA lean, hot running tune...period. Get your VE's dialed in and run it open loop around 14.0 and your motor will be happier. Just my opinion...you need to make the final decision.
Especially here in the 100+ degree Texas summers. Alright thanks for taking the time to clear that up for me.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default NEW PV Firmware Update

Don't know if anyone caught it; but, the latest update that was released on 3/26/14 is now available via the PV Update Client. 2.0.8-1412

From the Dynojet web site: Power Vision firmware has been updated and is now available for use. Simply use the Power Vision Update Client to download and install the update, and don’t forget to get the latest tune database 0.0.9.25. Even if you’re not using tunes from our tune database, you must download and install. There are specific features and functions that will not work properly without it.

Last edited by Delta; 04-03-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Get your VE's dialed in and run it open loop around 14.0 and your motor will be happier. Just my opinion...you need to make the final decision.
So, dumb question. How do you run it in open loop...simply by changing the values? For example, most of my closed loop areas from Fuelmoto's base tune were set at 14.4. What you're saying is that it could/should run a bit richer, correct? Then would I be in open loop automatically or is there a switch somewhere?

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread