Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 06:04 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by tstroud
Ok. My tune was running pretty good until the weather cooled off.
I did my autotuning when it was the upper 80's to lower 90's. Now in the evening it is getting into the 60's and 50's and I hear some random coughing/misfires at 2000 to 2500 rpm and 5% or less TP. Other than that it seems OK.
Do I need to autotune again for the colder weather?
Yes you probably should re-tune for the cooler weather. It will most likely take care of your problems.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:23 AM
filtrod
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Vision

Originally Posted by filtrod
Needing some help with my Power Vision. I am trying to get an Auto Tune on my 124. I am running new narrow band stock sensors. I can get the green screen on and as I ride I see the cells filling up with mostly red. When. At times getting a little hesitation and on deceleration get quite a few pops out exhaust. On the face of the PV I have the following codes.
1 NBF:0 which is front 02 sensor in open loop
2. NBR:0 which is rear 02 sensor in open loop
3. VE + which is conditions are changing to rapidly or moving between VE table cells
Until I get these problems straightened out the PV can not go into the learning mode. I have went into settings and seen that the sensors are on. Thanks for any advice or help you may be able to give.
I have been working through auto tunes basic. Getting into the green screens and can see the cells that are being filled with numbers and most of the cells have red numbers in them. As I stop and just before I hill the engine exit out of auto tune and then ask if I want to export learned and then have been sending data to the same tune hoping to improve the tune.
Took the bike on a 125 mile ride the NBF, NBR, VE+ codes were on the screen. After maybe 20 mins of riding at 70-80 mph the NBF,NBR codes went away. Several times would run up to 85-90 mph for a few mins all codes wee gone. There were several times that the screen read out saving data and this is what I exported back into the same tune I had been riding in.
Would appreciate any advice or guidance on this.
Thanks

Old 10-13-2013, 08:49 AM
tstroud
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is the basics of what I have picked up from the last 500+ pages.

You export to a new file, flash the new file and tune again. For example:

You load a canned tune as a starting point, go out and hit all the cells you can at least 50 times, stop and export to (example)autotune001. Then flash autotune1 to the ECM and go out and hit the cells again. When you have hit the cells enough stop and export as autotune2. Flash autotune2 to the ECM and go tune again exporting as autotune3. Flash autotune3 and hit some more cells. Repeat until the max cell changes are less than 10%.

Cap vs Scale:
Personally I have only capped, not scaled because I only have a couple of (2) cells that exceed 127.5. If you had a large number of cells exceeding 127.5 you may want to scale which will lower the value of all the cells but they will come back up as needed as you continue to tune.
99 hits is the maximum it will count per cell. 50 is good enough but if the count is too low such as 5 it will not affect the tune very much. The more hits the better until 99 when it stops counting for that cell.

There are various techniques for populating the cell hits. Using the clutch, brake and working vertically, one column at a time works for me. Do it in a deserted area like a large empty parking lot or a closed road. Avoid traffic so you can keep an eye on the screen fairly often.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:15 AM
filtrod
Advanced

Here is the basics of what I have picked up from the last 500+ pages.

You export to a new file, flash the new file and tune again. For example:

You load a canned tune as a starting point, go out and hit all the cells you can at least 50 times, stop and export to (example)autotune001. Then flash autotune1 to the ECM and go out and hit the cells again. When you have hit the cells enough stop and export as autotune2. Flash autotune2 to the ECM and go tune again exporting as autotune3. Flash autotune3 and hit some more cells. Repeat until the max cell changes are less than 10%.

Cap vs Scale:
Personally I have only capped, not scaled because I only have a couple of (2) cells that exceed 127.5. If you had a large number of cells exceeding 127.5 you may want to scale which will lower the value of all the cells but they will come back up as needed as you continue to tune.
99 hits is the maximum it will count per cell. 50 is good enough but if the count is too low such as 5 it will not affect the tune very much. The more hits the better until 99 when it stops counting for that cell.

There are various techniques for populating the cell hits. Using the clutch, brake and working vertically, one column at a time works for me. Do it in a deserted area like a large empty parking lot or a closed road. Avoid traffic so you can keep an eye on the screen fairly often.
One of my concerns is I have not seen or been prompted to choose Cap or Scale. According to Power Vision you will only be sent there if the tune has reached the upper limits of the VE tables.
I have been prompted to apply learned data which I did then sent learned data to the pv for storage and then flashed it back into the same slot #5 which is the tune I have been working with. If I understand right you are saying send the learned data to another slot for storage and use on the next tune

Old 10-13-2013, 09:19 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

I have been working through auto tunes basic. Getting into the green screens and can see the cells that are being filled with numbers and most of the cells have red numbers in them. As I stop and just before I hill the engine exit out of auto tune and then ask if I want to export learned and then have been sending data to the same tune hoping to improve the tune.
Took the bike on a 125 mile ride the NBF, NBR, VE+ codes were on the screen. After maybe 20 mins of riding at 70-80 mph the NBF,NBR codes went away. Several times would run up to 85-90 mph for a few mins all codes wee gone. There were several times that the screen read out saving data and this is what I exported back into the same tune I had been riding in.
Would appreciate any advice or guidance on this.
Thanks
Sounds like the O2 sensors started working. Maybe they were carboned up and you cleaned them with the high speed runs. I would also check to see what the min temp is set to in the autotune set-up. Usually about 75 deg.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:35 PM
tstroud
Tourer

One of my concerns is I have not seen or been prompted to choose Cap or Scale. According to Power Vision you will only be sent there if the tune has reached the upper limits of the VE tables.
I have been prompted to apply learned data which I did then sent learned data to the pv for storage and then flashed it back into the same slot #5 which is the tune I have been working with. If I understand right you are saying send the learned data to another slot for storage and use on the next tune
If you are not prompted to cap or scale you are not exceeding 127.5. That is OK, Don't worry about that.

I suppose you could use the same slot every time if you wanted to but using a different slot allows you to back up if a certain tuning session doesn't work right or you notice it is starting to run worse.

Last edited by tstroud; 10-13-2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:39 PM
tstroud
Tourer

Originally Posted by nhrider1
Yes you probably should re-tune for the cooler weather. It will most likely take care of your problems.
That is what I plan on doing today if I get a chance.
I suppose I would want to label the current tune as a hot weather tune and create a new cold weather tune.
Should I start creating my cold weather tune from my current tune or go back to the dynojet canned tune I began tuning with?

Old 10-13-2013, 12:43 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

I suppose I would want to label the current tune as a hot weather tune and create a new cold weather tune.
Should I start creating my cold weather tune from my current tune or go back to the dynojet canned tune I began tuning with?
Start with your existing as you have your VE's and timing curves close - hopefully. Best approach would be to tune when the temps are moderate, and then tweak your timing curves (baseline and eng/air temps) for hotter conditions.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:07 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

I'd work from the current tune. Its probably closer than the Dynojet tune.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:59 PM
tstroud
Tourer

I did 1 autotune and it helped a lot. The changes were only +5.2 to -3.7.
I think some more logtune runs to dial in the timing are in order.

If any of the advice I give others is incorrect, point it out.
I'm still learning but I am also trying to share what I have learned.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread