Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:19 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fullautomike
How do you deal with knock events which are caused by heat? Was on a poker run, got stuck in back-up from construction followed by a couple miles of stop and go traffic.
This table shows my knock events. A few things to consider. My head temps were 288-309 when these occurred. The EIMTS was on and I heard the knocks when I slowly accelerated from a stop. Kinda like it knocked until the rear cylinder kicked back on. The entire rest of the day, I did not get any other knock events from either cylinder.
Thanks
Finding out which table affects your cal is the tricky part. I haven't had to mess with the temp tables yet. if I did I would start with one table, subtract 2*, then go out and datalog in the temp that I was trying to correct. I would assume the log to show the main table * minus the 2* from the temp table, but just an assumption. If so, you're working the right temp table. If not, zero out the 2* in that table and pull 2* from a different table and log again. A little effort but eventually you'll nail the right table for the cal youre working with. If you do experiment and get it dialed in for a certain temp range please come back post what you found. There's really not much out there identifying which temp tables affect which cals. Would be great to hear what you find.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:01 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by stailjim61
Try it. Start a few topic threads and see what happens. Title them "PowerVision - Decel popping", "PowerVision - Basic AT", "PowerVision - Timing", etc. and see how folks respond. Of course, you'll have to monitor this thread and direct folks to those respective threads. If you're really feeling spunky you could copy and paste some of the important posts from here into those respective sections. There's enough participation on this thread where your topic threads should stay at the top and not get lost.
Jim, good idea.

I am going to try it with one topic, which is pertinent to me at this point in my journey through tuning, which is timing. I have pretty much completed my AT VEs and they are all within 5%.

I believe that the next step in the process, is looking at my knock events and tweaking that if/where I have a problem.

So my goals would be to move forward tuning my bike, and at the same time collect and separate all of the pertinent information that is already out here and elsewhere into a separate thread that folks can go to to get a start while not having to trust their luck to weeding the info out of this huge thread, or their ability to use this software's search function.

Bear with me, the weather here in New England is close to perfect right now for riding, but it won't be much longer so I am going to get a few good days of riding in this week. But I'll start up the thread and begine the process.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:20 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Received my NEW replacement PV and it boots every time not like the last one I had to turn the kill switch on and off up 6 times to get it to boot. First of next month I am going to a seminar put on by DyonJet on the PV all I have to pay is gas to get there.
Jeff

Old 09-24-2013, 02:24 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JetD
What has been the response to your issues from your PV seller?
For me, and numbers of others, both DynoJet and FuelMoto have been very responsive when I've had questions that were not answered on the forum... just my experience.

During your decision process to purchase and try the PV, your reasoning was considered, logical, and rational--there was something there that motivated you to study more about this tool and then to take ownership. That could not have been faulty reasoning on your part.

Good Luck.
As my last post said just revived a new replacement and it boots every time.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:25 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Crazylegs
Maybe updating the software through the net cures prior bugs. It should have the latest software loaded to it anyway.
I did that before I ever mounted it or hooked up to the bike.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:48 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

Good one 46u, look forward to hearing about your experiences with the PV
Thanks
Mirrrmu

Old 09-24-2013, 04:40 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mirrmu
Hi,

Good one 46u, look forward to hearing about your experiences with the PV
Thanks
Mirrrmu
I like it before I sent it back the only thing I did not like was having to turn the kill switch on and of up to six times before it would boot. I new it was not my bike because once it booted it never flickered, blink or nothing even when hitting a big bump. I all so see it has more on the gauge screen the it did before but that might have been user error.

I have been working and riding HDs for over 42 years none stop. I do all my own machine work and plenty for others. It will not be long before I am building pressed cranks. Up till the twin cam I did all and still do the crank work including but not limit to rebuild rods, balance, and true. I have a small machine shop in my basement. I am 59 and my only transportation is my rig (motorcycle and sidecar). In over 44 years of riding as I had a few other bikes before I got my HD at least half of those years I did not have a cage. I do not like cages (truck or car)! I ride no matter what the weather is like. LOL

Now I will say I am pretty green when it comes to EFI tuning but I will teach my self about this just like I have everything else. LOL
Thanks
Jeff

Last edited by 46u; 09-24-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:59 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by stailjim61
Finding out which table affects your cal is the tricky part. I haven't had to mess with the temp tables yet. if I did I would start with one table, subtract 2*, then go out and datalog in the temp that I was trying to correct. I would assume the log to show the main table * minus the 2* from the temp table, but just an assumption. If so, you're working the right temp table. If not, zero out the 2* in that table and pull 2* from a different table and log again. A little effort but eventually you'll nail the right table for the cal youre working with. If you do experiment and get it dialed in for a certain temp range please come back post what you found. There's really not much out there identifying which temp tables affect which cals. Would be great to hear what you find.
I will start this but, the temps are getting colder here in CT, and I will not likely hit these temps many more times this year. On top of that I'm planning on putting in some Woods TW 222 cams (lifters, adj push rods) this winter. It will be a fun project for a cold winter day. So next summer I'll be starting from square one with a new map for my cams. I've learned a lot messing with my current tunes for my current set-up, so I'm sure next time it will take less time. In fact I'll dedicate a few days to create the tune and be done with it........Are we ever done?????

Old 09-25-2013, 11:15 AM
uwiik
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default PV is Heaven's Gift!!

Bought my PV yesterday after three weeks messing around with my SEPST to the point of insanity. Couldn't even describe the feeling I have right now, very happy and mad at the same time, I feel like frying my SEPST and feed it to my nosy neighbour if I could...The 'Stupid tune' feature was hopeless and data record function is blind to knock event in SEPST, it would log 0 retard when I hear very audible pinging.. I had to rely on my AEM AFR sniffer to set my VE tables.

I thought I had my SEPST tune pretty close and the AFR reading after my 3 weeks of madness was OK with a fair bit of inconsistency, blamed it on my exhaust sniffer, turned out I was DEAD wrong!! After ONE 20 min Power Vision Autotune Basic session (No PC) now my AFR meter woud read perfect target AFR to the dots on steady throttle!! I realized that my AFR meter with the DIY sniffer was working perfectly and super accurate, it was the SEPST that has been giving me the inconsistent result. Now after Power Vision the bike feel soooo much smoother, sounds so much smoother and the pipe has a nice deep smooth throathy rumble on it I never hear before... Perfect...I will do a few more Autotune Basic to perfect the VE tables and will create multiple tunes for different conditions from there...

Now the big question....

I noticed from the gauges that I am having knock retard event, I would like to tune that out. I am familiar about how to read maps and how to work on timing advance/retard for maximum efficiency and to elliminate knocking but I am confused as which tuning/logging/calculation method to use, Autotune Basic or Log Tuner?? Some people says that after I perfect the VE tables, I can activate spark learning on Autotune Basic by switching 'Max Spark Learn' to 10 on setting and ignore further VE correction by turning 'Max VE Learn' to 0 then run Autotune basic session as normal but focusing on spark event only and tune from there. However, Dynojet instruction advises against this on Autotune basic??

I know Log Tuner is what everyone use, but I am not comfortable with it yet and I like the fact that Autotune basic can be setup and done without the use of PC at all and I am already comfortable with its simplicity with automatic set to CL table, automatic off to AE/DE/PE/EITMS vs. having to do it manually on Log Tuner....If I can use Spark Learning on Autotune Basic, I don't think I will ever use Log Tuner.

Advises are so much appreciated and thank you very much in advance!

Last edited by uwiik; 09-25-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by uwiik
Bought my PV yesterday after three weeks messing around with my SEPST to the point of insanity. Couldn't even describe the feeling I have right now, very happy and mad at the same time, I feel like frying my SEPST and feed it to my nosy neighbour if I could...The 'Stupid tune' feature was hopeless and data record function is blind to knock event in SEPST, it would log 0 retard when I hear very audible pinging.. I had to rely on my AEM AFR sniffer to set my VE tables.

I thought I had my SEPST tune pretty close and the AFR reading after my 3 weeks of madness was OK with a fair bit of inconsistency, blamed it on my exhaust sniffer, turned out I was DEAD wrong!! After ONE 20 min Power Vision Autotune Basic session (No PC) now my AFR meter woud read perfect target AFR to the dots on steady throttle!! I realized that my AFR meter with the DIY sniffer was working perfectly and super accurate, it was the SEPST that has been giving me the inconsistent result. Now after Power Vision the bike feel soooo much smoother, sounds so much smoother and the pipe has a nice deep smooth throathy rumble on it I never hear before... Perfect...I will do a few more Autotune Basic to perfect the VE tables and will create multiple tunes for different conditions from there...

Now the big question....

I noticed from the gauges that I am having knock retard event, I would like to tune that out. I am familiar about how to read maps and how to work on timing advance/retard for maximum efficiency and to elliminate knocking but I am confused as which tuning/logging/calculation method to use, Autotune Basic or Log Tuner?? Some people says that after I perfect the VE tables, I can activate spark learning on Autotune Basic by switching 'Max Spark Learn' to 10 on setting and ignore further VE correction by turning 'Max VE Learn' to 0 then run Autotune basic session as normal but focusing on spark event only and tune from there. However, Dynojet instruction advises against this on Autotune basic??

I know Log Tuner is what everyone use, but I am not comfortable with it yet and I like the fact that Autotune basic can be setup and done without the use of PC at all and I am already comfortable with its simplicity with automatic set to CL table, automatic off to AE/DE/PE/EITMS vs. having to do it manually on Log Tuner....If I can use Spark Learning on Autotune Basic, I don't think I will ever use Log Tuner.

Advises are so much appreciated and thank you very much in advance!

I prefer logtuner to make timing changes after I have my VE's dialed in. Mostly this is due to AT changing to many parameters for me to trust the timing changes it makes. When I'm out riding my AFR table is not set to 14.6 across the board and my timing is not retarded 4 degrees to start with. My actual map may or may not have the same knock events as the ones I mIght see in AT mode. In order to use log tuner for timing changes you don't need to turn off AE/DE/PE/EITMS or anything else. Just go out and ride, I will do some roll ons and find a few hills in order to really load the engine and hit the higher MAP areas as that is when it is most likely to ping. The only time you need to turn off the AE/DE/PE/EITMS is if you are doing your whole tune on log tuner and you are calibrating your VE's. Also if you only have a couple areas of the map seeing knock events you can just view your log in excel and make manual changes as needed.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread