Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

I am sticking with the log tuner when I do my 14 street glide. Going to play with stage one. Then cams later next year.

I have been joking it only cost $200 for my power vision to get a divorce my 10 street glide.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Smile For Rhombus

Rhombus, I hope this helps. The main issue for log tuner is setting up the right signals to collect for logging. Use the signals listed below and only these signals. You can decide which of these signals you wish to use to change your map with after they are collected, but all the signals below listed have to be collected for log tuner to work. You choose which ones to use later on in winpv. I hope this helps.

1. Check for Firmware update connect your Power Vision unit to your computer, open the update client and make sure you have the latest firmware. PV Log tuner requires firmware version 1.0.3-723 or later. Also make sure you have the latest PV Log Tuner software

2. Create a Value File. Open your calibration in the WinPV software and create a Power Vision value file under File/Save Selected Values that has the following tables: VE front, VE rear, AFR or Lambda fuel table, and Front and Rear Spark tables. You will need to switch the software user level to Pro by going to Setup/Options/User Level in WinPv

3. Mount the Power Vision on your bike, go to Datalog/Assign Signals and configure your Power Vision to datalog the following channels:

MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure)
TP (Throttle Position)
Engine Temp
Engine Speed (RPM)
Accel Enrichment
Desired/Set AFR (if you have an AFR based fuel table) OR
Desired/Set Lambda (if you have a Lambda based fuel table)
Warmup AFR (for AFR calibrations) OR
Warmup Lambda (for Lambda calibrations)
Front Spark Knock Retard
Rear Spark Knock Retard
VE New Front
VE New Rear
Note: Log only these specific channels

If you are using the Auto Tune Module/Auto Tune Pro you will also log:
Lambda 1 (Dynojet Channel)
Lambda 2 (Dynojet Channel)

4. Datalog with the Power Vision. Start the bike go to Datalog/Gauges and press “start log”. Ride the bike as normal, trying to vary the load and RPM as much as possible. It may be helpful to use the PV to display helpful channels for visual reference such as MAP, Engine temp, Throttle position, and Knock retard, make sure to press “end log” before you shut the motor off

5. Retrieve Logs that were created from the Power Vision. Connect the unit to the USB, open the WinPV software, go to “Get Log” and retrieve your log(s) and save them to your computer

6. Configure PV Log Tuner Software. Open PV Log Tuner software and go to “Options” and set the following parameters:

Stoich Value 14.6

Minimum Hit Count 50

Minimum Engine Temp 185

Maximum Engine Temp 288

For Auto Tune Basic check the box “HD OEM O2 sensors for correction”
For Auto Tune Pro with the AT Module check the box "Use Auto Tune for correction"

Note 1: If you have a 2011-2012 Softail or 2012 Dyna model you must turn on HD-CAN enabled tuning by hitting the Contol-E keys in the log tuner software

Note 2: If you have your original factory O2 sensors installed as well as the Auto Tune sensors at the same time you can check the boxes for both the OEM sensors and Auto Tune and Log Tuner will use data from the factory sensors during normal closed loop operation and data from the AT sensors in the open loop areas of your calibration. This works very well

7. Import Value File go to “Open PVV” and load the value file that was created in Step 1

8. Import Logs go to “Open Logs” and load the log files that were created in Step 4. You can load a single or multiple logs

9. Calculate Tune click “Calc Tune” which will calculate corrected VE values and Spark Tables for the conditions and events that were datalogged. You can click on the tree view to see each calculated table

10. Apply Tune click “Apply Tune” which will apply the new calculated VE/Spark values to the original Power Vision value file that was loaded in Step 7

11. Save PVV click “Apply PVV” which will create a new Value File with your corrected tables, you will name this file and save it to your computer

12. Import Value File Using WinPV open your original calibration and import the value file created from Step 11. Make sure your use the same calibration that was used while datalogging in step 4. To import the Value File open your Power Vision calibration, go to File/Load All Values and select the PVV that you created and saved in step 11.
13. Reflash ECM now that you have an updated calibration, save this calibration with WinPv, send it to your Tune manager and flash your ECM. Make sure that when you flash your updated calibration that you reset the fuel trims.

Last edited by Gozzie; 09-14-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:36 AM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that people should go back in this post and do some reading, but a lot of the problem stems from the instructions not being clear. JustDennis has the better explanations, but was done before AT ( unless he updated it). I know that some of the wording doesn't match up perfectly with the PV which can cause lots of confusion. Plus Dynojet sells this as an easy device to use, nothing to it! But, a large majority of people have no clue about tuning and they just want their bikes to run right without the expense of going to a dealer, once it's done they just want to ride. Then when you look at all the variables that change when go past a simple stage 1, it can be very hard to understand. Look at timing for example, majority of people who never worked on an older car or bike have never dealt with it, they've heard it discussed, but are really unsure of how to do adjustments on their PV or where to do these adjustments since there is no guide. After spending $26,000 on a bike and then more on pipes, AC and tuner, last thing they want to do is screw up their bike. It's easy to say "take to a dealer" then, but after forking out the money for PV that was supposed to be easy to use, they can't take it to a dealer because most won't touch anything not made by Harley. Maybe that is why Fuelmoto is swamped doing dyno runs, great for them,......I do agree but understand that the forum moderators can't easily change this forum. For now, it is what it is.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Boston Chris
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezer glider
I agree that people should go back in this post and do some reading, but a lot of the problem stems from the instructions not being clear. JustDennis has the better explanations, but was done before AT ( unless he updated it). I know that some of the wording doesn't match up perfectly with the PV which can cause lots of confusion. Plus Dynojet sells this as an easy device to use, nothing to it! But, a large majority of people have no clue about tuning and they just want their bikes to run right without the expense of going to a dealer, once it's done they just want to ride. Then when you look at all the variables that change when go past a simple stage 1, it can be very hard to understand. Look at timing for example, majority of people who never worked on an older car or bike have never dealt with it, they've heard it discussed, but are really unsure of how to do adjustments on their PV or where to do these adjustments since there is no guide. After spending $26,000 on a bike and then more on pipes, AC and tuner, last thing they want to do is screw up their bike. It's easy to say "take to a dealer" then, but after forking out the money for PV that was supposed to be easy to use, they can't take it to a dealer because most won't touch anything not made by Harley. Maybe that is why Fuelmoto is swamped doing dyno runs, great for them,......I do agree but understand that the forum moderators can't easily change this forum. For now, it is what it is.
Geezer....yes sir this is one of many problems with any forum. one of many problems with ANY tuner you purchase. if you dont understand or wont put in the time to learn how to do it your self then the only answer is....take it to the dealer and pay to have it done.

As i have gone through my trials and tribulations with powervision i have learned alot about how the harley ECM actually works. To be able to tune your bike you have to learn. No if ands or buts.

Lets say someone comes on here and posts i cant get my logs to show up on my powervision.....it tells you in the manual. This is located in the WinPV software. Up top in WinPV tool bar is a help file. Most likley there is the answer as to what is wrong as long as you follow the step. true the wording is a bit skewed....i have had issues with it myself. But anyone should be able to figure it out for the most part i would think. hey ive been wrong before and i will again.

Now lets say someone comes in and asks a question like...how do i know what the best timing to produce the best power and economy is for my bike.....That is a question that can generate some good ping pong on the forum. The first seems to get asked when the answer is straight forward. This second....not so much straight forward and can produce feedback,opnion and comments that differ greatky.

In the end everything is trial and error with any tuner if you are doing it yourself. the is more than one way to do things also ( I. E. log tuner or AT or even manual tweeks just based on logs ).

For the most part everyone here ( i think ) tries to help. As long as it statys that way all will turn out good in the end. Starting another powervision thread may be the answer. One for more basic questions or one for more advanced questions. who knows. If i can help i will if i cant i say i dont know. No one knows all the answers. well some one does but i just dont know who...

yes i alsodo agree that Dynojet presents this unit like you can know nothing and it doesnt matter. I think that is missleading. You have to learn...for example....most i know that have PV units,after doing several AT runs developed some knock events. Now the whole game changes from just pushing a button and letting the powervision do its thing.

Last edited by Boston Chris; 09-14-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Oilsmoke
Cruiser

I have a Few Questions.
If I was a new PV owner and Asked this. I can't seam to read a Log I made with the Power Vision in WinPV.
What would the answer be. Can WinPV Open log file.

Last edited by Oilsmoke; 09-14-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:17 PM
spelk3
Club Member

Originally Posted by Oilsmoke
I have a Few Questions.
If I was a new PV owner and Asked this. I can't seam to read a Log I made with the Power Vision in WinPV.
What would the answer be. Can WinPV Open log file.
No. You can view the logs with a spreadsheet that reads .csv like Excel.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:55 AM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

No you can't read a log with WinPV; but, you need to use WinPV to get the log from the tuner and save it to the computer hard drive.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:57 AM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston Chris
for example....most i know that have PV units,after doing several AT runs developed some knock events. Now the whole game changes from just pushing a button and letting the powervision do its thing.
Great Example.. That's exactly what I am chasing now. when I lower the timing to stop the pinging, the VE's change and the pinging starts up all over again. Pretty soon the map starts going south. My bike likes to autotune itself right into knock events. Eventually the timing gets so low the bike starts losing very noticeable power and becomes sluggish.

So if anyone would like to chime in with some help, I would be most grateful.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:29 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Gozzie
Great Example.. That's exactly what I am chasing now. when I lower the timing to stop the pinging, the VE's change and the pinging starts up all over again. Pretty soon the map starts going south. My bike likes to autotune itself right into knock events. Eventually the timing gets so low the bike starts losing very noticeable power and becomes sluggish.

So if anyone would like to chime in with some help, I would be most grateful.
Try not using Autotune. Log your data and process the tune with Log Tuner. See if you get better results.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:56 AM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by stailjim61
You did. The only thing I would emphasize is not to try to mix timing changes with VE calibration. You have to MAKE SURE your VE's are good FIRST. Then, and only then, mess with timing. Another thing to remember: A datalog alone can sometimes be difficult to interpret. Many on this forum have pulled timing in the wrong cells only to chase their tail. They see knocks in the 40 kPa area and then pull timing in the 40 column. Wrong column! Or they don't look far enough BEFORE the knock is logged to reduce the correct cell. The best way to do it is to set up your datalog like you would for a full LT tune. Then take the tick marks out of VE f and VE r and let log tuner make ONLY timing corrections. It will correct the tune but leave the VE's alone (they should be good already right?). So, if you're going to start from scratch here's what I'd do. Seeing as how you've already messed with timing I would get rid of all knock events. Then do 2 more VE runs to make sure they're good. Then come back and add 1 degree across the entire table from 1500 to 5000 and from 30 kPa to 80 kPa. Then datalog and run it through LT again. Let LT tweak any knock events until they're all gone. LT corrects and you reflash. Keep doing it until all knocks are gone. Try to do this at the same time of day. When they're all gone pull 2 degrees in the high load areas. 60, 70, 80 kPa. Run one more VE run. This time don't use AT. Do your final VE calibration using LT. This way your VE's are rock solid based on your REAL timing numbers and not the AT reductions. AT is fine for getting your numbers going in the right direction, but, I prefer to finalize a tune using LT. One last datalog to ensure all is well. If you take the time to do all that you should end up with pretty nice VE's and also a timing table that won't ping on you. Now, that's pretty much a basic tune. Good for the majority of "normal" riders and bikes. You really don't need to go much beyond that unless you sense some vibrations at certain RPM's and loads. Get the basic tune legwork done, then tweak. If you start tweaking BEFORE the basic legwork has been done you'll never get it right.
This might help. Some good info from stailjim61.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread