Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac69
I have now made a bunch of auto tune runs and had a few questions. I reviewed a tune from dyno jet and have made 4 auto tune runs on that tune. I wanted to see the changes by going to my pc, loading the original tune and then the compaire tune from the last auto tune run. Well i see no changes at all. I click on delta, which show the difference and nothing. On my 3rd auto tune run it said Learned ve cells average -1% max -9%. On the 4th run it says -2% max -15%. Now that is on the pv itself. I loaded both of those on my pc through win pv and i see no changes at all. The attatched pics are the last auto tune run.
Are you hitting "export learned" when you get done with your auto tune runs? Can't really think of any other reason you wouldn't be seeing any deltas.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:06 AM
tpb857
Road Master
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
Are you hitting "export learned" when you get done with your auto tune runs? Can't really think of any other reason you wouldn't be seeing any deltas.
I didn't see any changes on a couple of runs that I did with it set to autotune pro by mistake. I just have basic.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:55 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stailjim61
...3) After timing is finished (meaning you pulled an additional 2 degrees out
for a safety buffer) and you're happy with it run one final AT.
That's barely any timing being pulled and fine. Just remember to pull 2 degrees extra for a safety margin.
You never want to leave it right at the threshold of where it will ping. Temps change, fuel grades change. What happens one day when you or someone else runs into a 5* grade and its a mile to the top. It just happens to be hot as heck outside and the last time you had to fill up didn't have premium at the pumps. Do you listen to it ping all the way up the hill? Better yet, do you want it to ping all the way up the hill? Pinging will destroy a motor in a matter of minutes if it's bad enough. So the smart thing to do is build in a safety margin for when unexpected things happen. You won't feel a couple of degrees but it just may save your engine.
Originally Posted by SquidHead
I'm still not following. If LT "pulls" less than 1* of timing in the 3000 RPM range, are you saying I should pull (subtract) an additional 2* on top of that for a total of 3.x* for that cell?
Can someone explain this safety margin to me? If Log Tuner automatically removes timing when it auto-calcs, am I supposed to also remove an additional 2* for a safety buffer? If so, is that 2* coming from across the entire map, i.e. every cell, or just the cells that LT changed? I don't understand the process for this.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Darke_peak
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac69
I have now made a bunch of auto tune runs and had a few questions. I reviewed a tune from dyno jet and have made 4 auto tune runs on that tune. I wanted to see the changes by going to my pc, loading the original tune and then the compaire tune from the last auto tune run. Well i see no changes at all. I click on delta, which show the difference and nothing. On my 3rd auto tune run it said Learned ve cells average -1% max -9%. On the 4th run it says -2% max -15%. Now that is on the pv itself. I loaded both of those on my pc through win pv and i see no changes at all. The attatched pics are the last auto tune run.
I think the answer to your problem is in the last post on page 469. You need to enable "Pro" mode on the WinPV software. The difference/delta will be in the VE tables. This is not the same as pro mode on the PV tuner itself.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

pontiac69,You should also run the PV update client, then load your tune into WinPV and then use the powervision > Update Tune using PV... It will create an updated version of your tune and add several features into the Tune Items list, if you havn't already. That one had me buggered for a while seeing posts about features I didn't have.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Broken Wing
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta
To see these items in WinPV you have to be in the "PRO" level. To do this goto "Setup/Options/User Level" and change from basic to pro in the drop down menu on the right hand side of the panel under value.

Not sure why you don't want to use the Autotune feature. There was a code we used to use (319245) in the pre-autotune days that would set the parameters you needed. It's a lot easier then selecting each different item. Now, if you enter that code, I believe it brings you to the autotune screen.
Thanks Delta,
I have done maybe 5 or 6 AT runs from a FM cal. And I am in Pro level in Win PV. I have also entered that code although I can't tell if it did anything. (I read here that it is no longer valid in the new firmware.)

Now I wanna see what the Create Tune feature suggests from real-time log & values info.
My issue is that I'm seeing pretty wild timing (up to 46*) in some areas after the AT runs. Plus my timing has a "peak" after AT instead of a flat area, if that makes any sense.

The bike seems to run great, but I'm also seeing (not hearing) some knock events at low rpm/med-high throttle. It gets reaaal hot here & I have to run CA 91 octane crapgas.

I have no idea what I'm doin' wrong but I cannot get the Create Tune function in Log Tuner to work.

Is a 2012 FatBob AFR or Lambda?

Old 06-15-2013, 07:15 PM
goats
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SquidHead
Can someone explain this safety margin to me? If Log Tuner automatically removes timing when it auto-calcs, am I supposed to also remove an additional 2* for a safety buffer? If so, is that 2* coming from across the entire map, i.e. every cell, or just the cells that LT changed? I don't understand the process for this.
the short answer would be just the areas that log tuner changed.

some people alter their timing tables by adding a degree at a time to most of the map and let log tuner subtract the areas that are pinging until they have covered most of the operating range, once they have maxed out the timing table they will remove 3 degrees from the entire map (some people remove more, some less)

if you are not trying to add spark to the whole map/table and if you know where your timing has been reduced by log tuner then the idea is to subtract a couple degrees (or more) from those areas that did ping as a safety margin.

does that help at all?
if not, let me know and i will find a different way to explain it

Old 06-16-2013, 05:29 AM
Darke_peak
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know if you can access a locked tune? I got my bike dyno tuned with the power vision and I have since tried to view the tune on WinPV (by getting tune) from the PV. WinPV won't let me import it, says the tune is locked.

I haven't talked to the dyno guy to see why it is locked, but I presume he believes he owns the "tune", I'm just allowed to use it.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:36 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
I am definatly hitting export learned.I just dont know why i cant see any changes. I am going to try like someone suggested putting the winpv into pro mode. By going to setup/options/pro. We will see if that makes a difference.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:06 AM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by goats
the short answer would be just the areas that log tuner changed.

some people alter their timing tables by adding a degree at a time to most of the map and let log tuner subtract the areas that are pinging until they have covered most of the operating range, once they have maxed out the timing table they will remove 3 degrees from the entire map (some people remove more, some less)

if you are not trying to add spark to the whole map/table and if you know where your timing has been reduced by log tuner then the idea is to subtract a couple degrees (or more) from those areas that did ping as a safety margin.

does that help at all?
if not, let me know and i will find a different way to explain it
Yes, somewhat, but I don't think I'm having any pinging, none that I can hear anyway. I thought log tuner adjusted for knock events by removing timing, which I also thought were the opposite of pinging. But now that I think about it, knocking would require advancing the timing vice retarding it - correct? I haven't messed with timing since I yanked the vacuum advance out of my '65 Beetle over 20 years ago. I apologize for being a little dense.

So, if I want to optimize my map's timing, the process is:

Add 2 or 3* timing across the range
Log my rides
Run those logs through Log Tuner using the previously posted method
Apply the timing changes to my map
Remove the additional 2 or 3* timing previously added
Flash edited map

Does that capture it?

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread