Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 04:57 PM
Boston Chris
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie
Chris, what's the config of your bike again? Do you have the CAT still or have you eliminated it? I have to say one of the things that prevents me from buying a new one is having to deal with that cat and the extra expense of putting on a new non-cat system from the heads all the way back. That's some pretty hefty money right there on top of the $20G for the bike! ...never mind all the other little mods that add up too. I am jealous of the new frame and bigger tires you guys have on the new ones though.

Ride safe, I'm pointing southwest this week-end, down to Southwick Ma then over to Great Barrington then New York Rt22 South to CT and come back east through northwest CT right past the Lime Rock Race Track.

I'll be toasted by tomorrow night.
I have the fuelmoto 2-1-2, fuelmoto A/C,and jackpot 4 inch mufflers. Basicly a stage 1. i still have the stock cams. i would like to do the cams over the winter. That is why i was wondering if people have had good luck without a dyno tune and just using the powervision AT feature. Sounds like it works pretty good.

have fun tomorrow. i think im gonna head north to Mt Washington area.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:07 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston Chris
I have the fuelmoto 2-1-2, fuelmoto A/C,and jackpot 4 inch mufflers. Basicly a stage 1. i still have the stock cams. i would like to do the cams over the winter. That is why i was wondering if people have had good luck without a dyno tune and just using the powervision AT feature. Sounds like it works pretty good.

have fun tomorrow. i think im gonna head north to Mt Washington area.
Be prepared for heavy traffic. I like Rt 153 which parallels Rt 16 north of Rochester all the way to Conway. Stop at the Poor Mans Pub for lunch or a Coke.

Ride safe! Sounds like you have a great Stage 1 there! Gotta' love FuelMoto!

Old 06-01-2013, 01:29 AM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PV Tune Without Dyno

[quote:Boston Chris;...That is why i was wondering if people have had good luck without a dyno tune and just using the powervision AT feature. Sounds like it works pretty good...quote]

BC- I for one, have had good luck tuning without a dyno yet. It's taken nearly a year and ride/tuning off and on; reading every page of this and related threads; some calls to FM and DJ (great help); and making small change steps; and then redoing some things.

The 'canned' PV map I got from the builder was a start (not the best, but that's a whole other tale).
Bottom line: it can be done, but as both Jim and Truk and said over and over, "it's not easy -- it's hard work".

I'm 90+% where I want to be and good enough to ride and not change; but there's the O/C thing going.... and I know it can be better....

Good luck.

Last edited by JetD; 06-01-2013 at 01:30 AM. Reason: wording
Old 06-01-2013, 06:01 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Boston Chris and NHRider

I too was out yesterday on my 07 EGC I've got the PV and on my AtotTune-Basic rev .006. so still not totally dialed in.

However, with my config, Stock stage 1, SE Slip-ons, K&N AC and PV and a Jagg Deluxe oil cooler I took a ride into NH with a few friends and we looped Lake Sunapee. Coming up RT 10 out of NH and then Rt 11 around Sunapee and then took 77S to 114S to Rt13 down through MIlford NH.

My MeEwan Oil Temp gauge averaged 200'F oil temp, and my Engine Temp read on the PowerVision ran 240-250'F most of the day. At one point my oil temp krept up to 215'F and the ET temp measured 253'F.

I'm pretty happy with that and it's got me thinking I might not need the AT-100 for AutoTune-Pro, but I'll prolly end up doing it anyway. (fodder for another discussion entirely)

Just to give you some reference. Oil coolers will bring your temp down 20' all by themselves.

I really like the way my bike is pulling now. No popping, no backfires, and really good solid power across the entire range and also strong ability to run in 6th down as low as 55mph and 1800rpm. Although I like to keep it above 2000rpm.

As a reference, when I got the bike stock, it hated running in 6th gear anyplace below 2500rpm. (pre stage 1)
Good riding in the Sunapee Area. I especially like it in the fall.

Sounds like you have it dialed in...you probably don't need the AT-100 but it would be interesting to see what results you'd get with it.

I think your 07 already has wide band O2 sensors.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:32 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Boston Chris
Has anyone added cams....got a base map...done some AT runs and called it a day instead of getting a dyno tune? Im curious if the results are good or if you feel it still needs a dyno tune?
I added cams, and used PV to tune. I got great results...I don't think a dynotune is necessary. I can't imagine improving performance beyond my current tune.

I have a Fuel Moto base map for the 48H cams and of course my improved tunes. It ran pretty well with the base map...even better now. Tuning process is the same as you've done for stage 1.

If I remember correctly, you were looking at the Woods 222 cams. The specs are pretty close to the 48H cams. The 48's might come on a little sooner. The cams really woke the motor up. It's much more fun to drive with lots of torque starting just off idle and continuing to redline. Response is smooth and linear...it feels like its got an electric motor.

Why wait til winter? You can't imagine what your missing. I still can't get the grin off my face.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:06 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

Chris, what's the config of your bike again? Do you have the CAT still or have you eliminated it? I have to say one of the things that prevents me from buying a new one is having to deal with that cat and the extra expense of putting on a new non-cat system from the heads all the way back. That's some pretty hefty money right there on top of the $20G for the bike! ...never mind all the other little mods that add up too. I am jealous of the new frame and bigger tires you guys have on the new ones though.
I've had both chassis and the 09-up is well worth the investment. Rides and handles much better, and I really like the bigger tires. Good solid footprint. I have an 05 Deluxe and it feels like it has bicycle tries after riding the Road King.

The CAT is no fun. It runs incredibly hot...to the point that your right leg and foot feel like they are on fire on hot days. It didn't last long on my bike.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:36 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1
Good riding in the Sunapee Area. I especially like it in the fall.

Sounds like you have it dialed in...you probably don't need the AT-100 but it would be interesting to see what results you'd get with it.

I think your 07 already has wide band O2 sensors.
I'll check into that.. thanks for the heads up. First time I've heard that.

iClick has a 07 (first post in this thread), but I think he had a purchased the AT-100 WB kit as a part of his PCV implementation.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Stailjim, I logged several logs with the CLI data added to my logs and that is some good info there. The first one was from my map I had been running and the second log was the OL map made from your AFR map image. The bike ran better and even got slightly better mpg with the OL map believe it or not. The logs looked better too. Less and smaller knock retards and less CLI changes. CLI changes were mostly 3-4% with the rare 6% change all by itself. I did an Log Tuner map using the new OL map and the 3 data logs I have made with that map and loaded that back on the PV. I did a map compare and other than one lone cell off in the lower right area of the VE front, all the changes were 2% or less and that was only in maybe 10 cells total. Rear was even less number of cell changes with the max being 3%. Timing was 2% max on the front and .5% on the rear so it is still only pulling a small amount of timing out. I did two more logs on this new map today. They look better than yesterdays logs. Less timing knock events and lower numbers. CLI changes were fewer and farther apart with only a couple 5% changes that last for 1 millisecond!

So tonight I used Log Tuner to edit today's map and like yesterdays LT change, today's was very small changes in timing and almost nothing in the VE tables. I will load that one tomorrow and do some more logs to see what that does.

I rode with one of my buds today too. He has a 2013 Roadglide with 255 cams, se breather, and Bub 2:1 exhaust. He has had it tuned at the dealer with the SE Race tuner 3 times over the last month. He was very happy with the last tune they did and I thought it was really good as well when I picked up his bike for him. Today we lined them up against each other and did a hard 1 - 4 gear pull. We sat side by side for the whole pull. I didn't gain or lose anything. Now I know we have a weight difference with him and his bike being 200 LBS heavier than me and mine, but with his free'er breathing exhaust and dyno tunning I felt he should probably be making a little more power. I can say this though, I am happy with mine for sure as for how it runs. I would still like to get a little better mpg, but I guess I can't have everything. MPG riding normal before the last map update was 37 mpg. Before I did all the upgrade to the 103 and heads using the PC III I got 39 so I didn't really lose that much. 12 miles to a tank.

I leave on a guy's trip with my bud and 5 others for Utah and Colorado next Friday and 3AM so I don't know how much tuning I will do between now and then. I do plan to do some logs while I am out there just to see what is going on with the elevation changes and temp changes.

I really do appreciate all the help from you and the others in this group.

Last edited by Watchfuliz; 06-01-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:03 AM
Boston Chris
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1
I added cams, and used PV to tune. I got great results...I don't think a dynotune is necessary. I can't imagine improving performance beyond my current tune.

I have a Fuel Moto base map for the 48H cams and of course my improved tunes. It ran pretty well with the base map...even better now. Tuning process is the same as you've done for stage 1.

If I remember correctly, you were looking at the Woods 222 cams. The specs are pretty close to the 48H cams. The 48's might come on a little sooner. The cams really woke the motor up. It's much more fun to drive with lots of torque starting just off idle and continuing to redline. Response is smooth and linear...it feels like its got an electric motor.

Why wait til winter? You can't imagine what your missing. I still can't get the grin off my face.
NH....thanks...ill have to take a look at the 48H then. Sounds like a good fit. Good to hear people have had good results tuning with a cam installed. Starting to like this PV a little better than i did before....or im just getting use to it.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:08 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

I'll check into that.. thanks for the heads up. First time I've heard that.

iClick has a 07 (first post in this thread), but I think he had a purchased the AT-100 WB kit as a part of his PCV implementation.
I checked and I was wrong. You have the larger 18mm O2 sensors, but they are narrow band.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread