Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:16 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta
OK, a little history on this tune. I had the VE Change down to 2%. The autotuning runs were finished 10/15/12. The tinkering that I am decided to play with the smoothing function to make the graph pretty. From time to time I like to do a few data log runs to see how things are holding up. This was done on 11/12/12. The temps then and now are similar.

Today I took a 50 mile shake down ride to get the oil hot and the fluids moving again. Nope, didn't do any datalogging. Next week the bike goes in for the SE255 cam install. Already have a starting map from Fuel Moto and will begin autotuning all over again. I have a good handle on that as I have been playing with the PV since last April before autotune came around.

Now to jump ahead and pick your brains a bit more, would you begin adjusting the "Change Dilution Effect" tables before the main spark table or when I notice knock retard? The last time I used the CDE was to lesson the valleys present in certain areas of my VE tables. I wrote about this in message #3356. Please take a look at that and tell me if I was on the right track. Thanx...
After the cams, I would do 2 or 3 runs to get the VE's somewhat close first. Then have a look at your graph. Then, if you feel the need to mess with the CDE's do it after each run. If you've messed with the EGR before you already know it can be frustrating due to how the changes affect other cells and diminishes. I wouldn't mess with the timing during this part of tuning if it isn't pinging. If it is pinging work the table before you go back out.

The 255's will bump your compression a bit so it may ping more after they're installed. Just something you want to have a look at after your first tuning run. I used a map from FM for the 255's in mine and the timing was pretty conservative so I don't think you'll have any issues. But I'd have a look anyway.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:54 PM
bads1buell
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What is the procedure for powering up the PV while not hooked to the bike? Using the software there is a way but can't find it anywhere.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:37 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stailjim61
...I used a map from FM for the 255's in mine and the timing was pretty conservative so I don't think you'll have any issues. But I'd have a look anyway.
The map I presently have used the FM Stage I map as the base. The timing table are the same in the FM Stage I and II maps. I will be incorporating many of these suggestions in my next tuning sessions.

Thanks all.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:42 PM
Delta
Road Master

Originally Posted by bads1buell
What is the procedure for powering up the PV while not hooked to the bike? Using the software there is a way but can't find it anywhere.
Plug the PV into your PC and open WinPV. Then at the top menu bar go to PowerVision/Diagnostic Test Functions/Exit PC Link Mode. This will let you view a some things in the PV, but not all.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:54 PM
goats
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i look at a pvv log for spark i see positive and negative numbers as well as a few zeros

do the zeros mean no change, positive numbers represent advance and negative numbers represent timing pulled ?

Old 03-31-2013, 08:15 PM
kranky
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autotune problem. Every time I try to flash an autotuned file, I get "ecm error".

Old 03-31-2013, 08:26 PM
Delta
Road Master

Is your run switch in the on position?

Old 03-31-2013, 11:43 PM
marknett
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kranky
Autotune problem. Every time I try to flash an autotuned file, I get "ecm error".

The ignition must be in the on position not accessory and the kill switch has to be in the on position also

Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 AM
BMCsteve
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi guys, this might be a dumb/lazy question but is there a quick link to the latest autotune documentation and firmware? I havent done mine since autotune was just in beta.

I searched through the thread but with over 400 pages I couldnt find the current info.

thanks in advance
-Steve

Old 04-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So I got a note from Jamie at FM a week or so back and he said we needed to address my map after the Dynojet rep made some changes via remote PC link. I don't know what needed to be address and I have not heard back from him yet either.

I did some data logs and I still have some knock events, but I don't hear any pinging. Most of the knock events are 2* or less on the front cylinder only in the 60 kpa column from 1750 to 2750 rpm. I had one 7* pull, but it was getting pretty warm in stop and go when that happened so I think that was just an anomaly.

Question is, what is considered a minor knock event and what is considered a major knock event? What should I ignore and what should I worry about trying to fix? I have done auto tunes and I have done Log Tuner tunes. Both say my VE's are no more that 2-3 off so the VE's are dialed in and when using Log Tuner it doesn't ever want to pull more that point 2 or point 3 degrees of timing in a few places.

I have created several new tunes using the Lot Tuner allowing it to pull those small amounts of timing, but I still keep getting the knock events in the same places. I even allowed it to readjust the VE tables in the last two Log Tuner maps, but no real change in knock events and again the VE table changes were less than the 5%.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread