Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 AM
stailjim61
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marknett
How do you guys drive your bike while autotuning .Normal riding lower gears and hard riding, lower gears and varied rpm's /
First you should scout out a road that has hills (the steeper the better), flats, slow speeds, highway speeds. You want as many possible variables in each run. I start out working the lower rpms's and build up. I start in 1st and go as slow as I possibly can...20 seconds. Then I raise the rpms 2/300...hold the throttle for 20 seconds. Bump it 2/300 rpms...hold throttle for 20 seconds. I do this up to around 3500 rpms in 1st. Then I hit 2nd gear and do the same. Eventually I end up at 4500 rpms. I don't ride much past 4000 rpms so there's no need for me to go any higher. I do this for every gear. When I get to the hilly area of the road I do the same thing. Usually hit them around 1500 rpms and work my way up through the rpms. Then I turn around and go down the hills, bringing the rpms up and then backing off the throttle to get the cells in the far left column. I do both up and down the hills in 4th, 5th and 6th. I'll do the hills 3 or 4 times. Then I do some simulated freeway riding in 5th and 6th. My bike usually runs around 2600 rpm at 70 mph so I spend some time 500 rpm below and above 2600. Then do some simulated roll-ons like you're passing a cage. Next I'll do some time at 85 or 90 both flat and up hills. Then I finish by just riding normal. The last part of my run is in traffic heading back to the house. Basically you want to get in as much time (at least 20 seconds) in as many variable rpm/map areas as you can. If you do a good job doing this every time you go out you can be very close, if not right on, in 3 or 4 runs. Just make sure you're NOT cracking the throttle. You want to be slow with the wrist and methodical. That's why I go through each gear and slowly raise the rpm's 2/300 each time, and hold it for 20 seconds. If you whack the throttle you'll just bust the upper map threshold and it won't record data anyway. My runs are usually between 30 and 45 minutes.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:53 AM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Well I won't go as far as saying I won't read the manual in it's entirety but yeah I agree mostly here. What I've read so far of the manual is a dissapointment to me as well. Tells you what all the bells and whistles are but doesn't really give you a "step-by-step"

What I'd like to see if someone with PV experience might be inclined to do so;

Step-by-step instructions on autotune basic (haven't been able to talk myself into drilling holes in a $1200 exhaust system yet), datalogging, comparing, applying learned values. I've already been down this road of countless wasted hours of street tuning with 2 other products, I don't want to waste any more time but would rather know exactly what needs to be done to achieve the tune desired for the bike to run at it's peak and ride the damn thing.
Follow the instructions on the FM site. It doesn't get any easier than that. The bottom line is you're going to have to invest some time if you want it right. A couple hours reading up on the product. 3 or 4 hours on VE's. 3 or 4 hours on timing. If you're not willing to spend the time learning about the product features and then the required time on the street just bring it to a tuner. The PV is very easy to learn and easier to use. You/anyone just needs to be willing to learn and spend some time using the tools. I've used Brand X tuners before and find the PV easier and quicker. Between the FM instructions and the last 100 or so pages here you should be able to knock it out in a weekend. You may want to tweak some things in the future but the basic tune can easily be done in a weekend and get you out riding. The PV can also be used for some troubleshooting (the logs tell us alot). So the more we learn about its features now may help us at some point in the future. It really all boils down to how much time a person is willing to expend on it. Like I said, knocking it out in a weekend shouldn't be a problem by just following those simple steps outlined. You don't need to know EVERY little thing about the PV to get it tuned. The extra bells and whistles can be explored at a later time. But getting a basic tune is fairly straightforward and easy, even for someone thickheaded like myself.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:50 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by stailjim61
Follow the instructions on the FM site. It doesn't get any easier than that. The bottom line is you're going to have to invest some time if you want it right. A couple hours reading up on the product. 3 or 4 hours on VE's. 3 or 4 hours on timing. If you're not willing to spend the time learning about the product features and then the required time on the street just bring it to a tuner. The PV is very easy to learn and easier to use. You/anyone just needs to be willing to learn and spend some time using the tools. I've used Brand X tuners before and find the PV easier and quicker. Between the FM instructions and the last 100 or so pages here you should be able to knock it out in a weekend. You may want to tweak some things in the future but the basic tune can easily be done in a weekend and get you out riding. The PV can also be used for some troubleshooting (the logs tell us alot). So the more we learn about its features now may help us at some point in the future. It really all boils down to how much time a person is willing to expend on it. Like I said, knocking it out in a weekend shouldn't be a problem by just following those simple steps outlined. You don't need to know EVERY little thing about the PV to get it tuned. The extra bells and whistles can be explored at a later time. But getting a basic tune is fairly straightforward and easy, even for someone thickheaded like myself.
Well I'm not afraid of putting time into it for the correct end result; what pisses me off is things like what we discovered yesterday (and Jim thank you so much for your guidance) in the hit counts being set at 50 vs a lower number in the instructions. Pretty much wasted 3 hours of my life I'll never get back (I don't need the exercise, I've been this route with other tuners) doing runs in what appears to have been a futile effort at obtaining proper VE #s in the closed loop and lower rpm/kpa areas. Why would you want that hit count set so high if you know you're not going to spend a bunch of time in the lower rpm/kpa areas and not getting good hits on the closed loop areas also?

Old 02-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
... the hit counts being set at 50 vs a lower number in the instructions.
I thought the default was 5 hits. Anyways, here is how to set the value to whatever you want (it will also show you all the default values):

1 Touch Program Vehicle >AutoTune >Settings.
Note:Changing the settings while AutoTune is active will reset all learned values.

2 Touch Continue.
Note:Changing the settings while AutoTune is active will reset all learned values.

3 Touch a setting to edit.

4 Touch Select to continue with the selected setting. Or Touch Exit to abort the process.

5 A description of the setting will appear. Touch Continue to edit the selected setting.

6 Using the number pad, enter the value for the setting. The numeric display will show the current value. The default value is shown under the
setting title.

7 Touch Save to confirm the value or Cancel to return to the list of settings.

8 Touch Yes to confirm the changes. Or Touch No to abort the process. The setting value is updated.

9 Touch Exit to exit the Setting screen.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:31 AM
marknett
Advanced

I have adyna switchback 2012 with the canned bus . On my guages display I inserted the gear readout. Stays blank even when moving . Talked to Jamie at fuel moto and he didn't know why and said to call dynojet. They are still closed so I figured I would post here also . Does anyone who is using the new 6 pin canned bus have there gear indicator showing on there power vision . I have the lastest updates installed .

Old 02-25-2013, 10:36 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Delta
I thought the default was 5 hits. Anyways, here is how to set the value to whatever you want (it will also show you all the default values):

2 Touch Continue.

4 Touch Select to continue with the selected setting. Or Touch Exit to abort the process.

5 A description of the setting will appear. Touch Continue to edit the selected setting.

6 Using the number pad, enter the value for the setting. The numeric display will show the current value. The default value is shown under the
setting title.

8 Touch Yes to confirm the changes. Or Touch No to abort the process. The setting value is updated.

I know how to do this, that wasn't my point. My point was if the "suggested" setting in documentation is 50, then what do you think all the idiots like me who don't do tuning are going to do? They're going to set it at 50 and make countless street tune runs in hopes they get it right before you get frustrated and run into someone like stailjim61 who was gracious enough to spend time with me yesterday says "oh that's supposed to be a lower number as you're not getting enough good hits in certain cells". Why not just put in the documentation to set it at 15 or 20 to achieve your results in the fewest amount of street tunes.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 02-25-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:25 AM
marknett
Advanced

Which settings under autotune are you changing. When i hit autotune , settings, My minimum hits for learning is set at 5 , but By the colors orange to red happens at 50 hits . where do I change this ?

Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by marknett
Which settings under autotune are you changing. When i hit autotune , settings, My minimum hits for learning is set at 5 , but By the colors orange to red happens at 50 hits . where do I change this ?
in log tuner software. options. won't take effect until your next data logging event.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:34 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Delta

2 Touch Continue.

setting title.

i don't use autotune by the way, or should I say I don't let autotune make the changes for me. I make my runs datalogging, then bring tha data back and import it to the log tuner software, combine it with the previous tune and create another tune. Keep doing this and I think ultimately as far as VEs are concerned you want less than 5% change in your VE cells. Timing is a whole nother ball of wax which I will embark upon here shortly as well.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:39 AM
marknett
Advanced

the max number of changes is 15 % , I am trying to change how many hits before the cell is considered full. . It says minimun hits is 5 but I don't see the cells changing to red until 50 hits

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread