Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,156 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Watchfuliz
Thanks Jamie, this is a learning process I know and I really like learning about everything so this is something I can get my teeth into so to speak.

As far as tuning out every knock event, I understand what you are saying here too. I am only working on mine because the knock showed up at the same rpm and map cell every time it showed up in the logs. Now it didn't show up every time I hit that cell so it was intermittent, but when it did show up it was at that cell with it showing up 4 times in a 14 minute log file. That is the reason I felt I could tune that out. I pulled 1* in that area just to see if that stopped it or made it a rare event.

Thanks for everyones help. I am pleased with my results so don't misunderstand my questions here, just trying to learn and get the best out of my tune as I can.
Sounds like your tuning is coming along well, good to hear you are enjoying the product and making use if its features

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 AM
iMAK79
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the PV, can you get the readings in Metric?

Old 02-21-2013, 05:45 AM
marknett
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes up at the top bar , choose setup and then options then then type in metric where it says imperial ..

Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 PM
lrcormier
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Power vision tuning

Help me understand a few things about EFI tuning? I've been using a FUEL MOTO MAP installed with PV since May 2012. I have a 2012 ULTRA LIMITED and have installed a FUEL MOTO JACKPOT HEADER, 4" RINEHART SLIP-ONS, and SE cold air intake, so far I've not done any tuning so MAP is still as delivered and bike runs great. I made a big leap from a 1982 shovel and have been riding HD since 1972 and have always done my own repairs, but this EFI stuff has been a struggle. I've read most of this thread and have been following it a long time and have read some books (waste of money) and have read the users manual for PV, it's also vague in several areas, recently read the MASTERTUNE user manual and it actually helped a lot and is well written (Sorry Jamie). I can grasp the basics of how it works but there a few fundamental things not very clear to me so hopefully someone can enlighten me. How does the ECM use the AFR and VE table? Am i correct when i say you wouldn't even use the AFR table if in complete open loop, the VE table is what would provide the ECM with how much fuel to use? And in my current case the narrow band O2 sensors are what link the two tables values by comparing the target AFR where the value is .981 lambda with the O2 sensor reading and then calculating the difference and then store an adjustment value to the corresponding value in the VE table for future use? So, if you was to use broadband O2 sensors the entire AFR table would be used and if after dialing in the VE values and you decided to run completely open loop only the VE table is needed? I hope I'm finally getting this, of course I do realize there are other tables and inputs that come into play, it's primarily these two tables and how they relate that has had me in a tale spin. Thanks for helping out someone leaving the stone ages!
Louis

Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 AM
marknett
Advanced

my understanding is limited also . Here is kind of how I see it and please correct me if tthis is wrong . the bike does use the afr .. The ve is air flow for your engine. if the ve's are not right then when your ecm is trying 14.6 or whatever and the ve is telling it it's at 14.4 but its really at 14.2 the ecm is chasing a false number and could be leaning out or running your bike to rich . Thats why you want to dial in your ve 's first.

the ve looks at if The throttle or rpm is at 2500 rpms , then Im moving this much air .
the o2 sensors says ok if your moving this much air at 2500 rpms I am detecting 0.898
The afr says ok if your moving this much air at 2500 rpms I am looking for closed setting 0.986 so I need to cut off some fuel to get where I should be

Old 02-22-2013, 07:16 AM
bohica48
Cruiser

The engine is running based on what is defined in your VE & AFR tables. The ecm looks at the tables and calculates a pulse width to deliver fuel to the engine. If the VE tables do not match what your engine is actually doing then the fuel delivery will be incorrect, you could be running leaner or richer.

By running Auto Tune (Closed Loop) you are dialing in your VE’s tables to match what the engine is actually doing. Once you get your VE’s dialed in, your AFR should be correct with little to no corrections made. At this point you can change your AFR to whatever you want including open loop.

Once dialed in and in open loop your ecm looks at the VE and AFR table and delivers fuel based on what is defined in your map. In closed loop the ecm can make small adjustments for things like elevation changes.

Last edited by bohica48; 02-22-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:59 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lrcormier
Help me understand a few things about EFI tuning? I've been using a FUEL MOTO MAP installed with PV since May 2012. I have a 2012 ULTRA LIMITED and have installed a FUEL MOTO JACKPOT HEADER, 4" RINEHART SLIP-ONS, and SE cold air intake, so far I've not done any tuning so MAP is still as delivered and bike runs great. I made a big leap from a 1982 shovel and have been riding HD since 1972 and have always done my own repairs, but this EFI stuff has been a struggle. I've read most of this thread and have been following it a long time and have read some books (waste of money) and have read the users manual for PV, it's also vague in several areas, recently read the MASTERTUNE user manual and it actually helped a lot and is well written (Sorry Jamie). I can grasp the basics of how it works but there a few fundamental things not very clear to me so hopefully someone can enlighten me. How does the ECM use the AFR and VE table? Am i correct when i say you wouldn't even use the AFR table if in complete open loop, the VE table is what would provide the ECM with how much fuel to use? And in my current case the narrow band O2 sensors are what link the two tables values by comparing the target AFR where the value is .981 lambda with the O2 sensor reading and then calculating the difference and then store an adjustment value to the corresponding value in the VE table for future use? So, if you was to use broadband O2 sensors the entire AFR table would be used and if after dialing in the VE values and you decided to run completely open loop only the VE table is needed? I hope I'm finally getting this, of course I do realize there are other tables and inputs that come into play, it's primarily these two tables and how they relate that has had me in a tale spin. Thanks for helping out someone leaving the stone ages!
Louis
The AFR table is used in both open and closed loop. In closed loop it's basically a switch that's telling the ECM to go into closed loop. Set the cells to 14.6 and that's the magic number that tells the ECM to go into closed loop operation. In open loop, the table is used to tell the ECM what our desired AFR should be. If I want 14.2 for an AFR, the AFR table tells the ECM how much fuel to provide based on my VE. The VE table tells the ECM the amount of air and the ECM then tells the injectors how much fuel to add to that amount of air, to equal 14.2. The ECM needs to know what AFR we want (AFR table) and how much air we have (VE table) and then it figures out the third part, which is fuel (injectors). If we didn't have an AFR table the ECM wouldn't know how much fuel to add because it wouldn't know what AFR we wanted. X AFR = X amount of air + X amount of fuel.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 PM
lrcormier
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Power vision tunning

Thanks to all your resposes, and stailjim61, your explanation was very near to what Jamie Long at FUEL MOTO (thanks Jamie) told me over the phone today. I can't believe that with all the research i did and even after reading the PV users guide i was not able to determine what really should of been a basic concept. But i got it now and feel confident that i can now start doing some AUTOTUNE data recording and understand what I'm looking at. Looking forward to the fun.
Louis

Old 02-22-2013, 11:53 PM
kustom78
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all, newb here to the tuning section, first off about my ride. its a 12 SG with Big radius pipes and thunder baffles with torque cones, also running a PM A/C. Ive ordered a PV and flashed a tune already after saving the stock of coarse. it seems to ride like a champ so far! ive only ridden it this morning for about 20 min. but to be honest, im not reading through almost 400 pages of info on this PV tuner.

the instruction booklet is a GREAT dissapointment!!! it dosent explain any of the features or functions in any length of detail or even how to really use anything. so far i was only able to get as far as i am now through google, youtube, and this site.

can someone explain to me what if any gains i would get if i used autotune? also is there a set mileage or time to run auto tune to get an accurate tune?

Old 02-23-2013, 04:51 AM
Dynamatic
Stage IV

Can someone help me my pv cuts out after about 2 minutes of running if you are in the gauges all the figures disappear but the main screen stays on and if you are auto tuning it just stops recording and you still have the main screen on.
If you turn the bike off and then restart it all works fine again then it stuffs up again. Help...

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread