Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stailjim61
I'm not on a high horse. I just keep reading about smoothing and it doesn't make any sense. Why take a good tune and ruin it because the graph doesn't look pretty? Regardless, the ECM is going to win every time if it's a closed loop tune. You change a VE...ECM says nope, I don't like that and changes it behind you. You won't win. You may be proud of that pretty graph but the ECM has plans of its own.

EGR is a whole different animal and should probably have it's own sticky. It's ALOT of trial and error and back and forth. Will it make a difference? Yes. How much? That's something every individual person will need to decide if it's even worth trying. All my point is that once the VE's are dialed in forget what the graph is looking like. The bike says "Hey this is what I like". PV says "Hey I hear you loud and clear and will set up the VE's just how you like them". All the graph does is take numbers and makes a picture out of them. But too many get caught up in the picture instead of listening to what the bike wants.
I'd agree, the pictures are over rated but I think they provide a relative view as to consistency and if you have "potential" problems areas to look at - such as EGR. I like to use smoothing sparingly, but only with the intention to do some normalization of VEs in a range to speed up the process, and then come back and do additional collections in that range to to actually set what the motor wants. If one does it to just make a pretty graph, yes that would be a misuse and just wasting one's time.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:22 PM
HDFan0611
Road Captain

Originally Posted by stailjim61
The screen shots were too small to see on my laptop. Maybe someone else can see them.

The delta won't help us much if you're looking for feedback. All the delta tells you is how much changed from the tune you started with and the tune you ended up with. It will continue to show changes every time you make a new tune. What it doesn't tell you is if you're near the finish line. You can either rely on the % results at the end of the process or use log tuner to look at every cells change. What did the results say at the end of your new tune?
How do you upload a larger screen shot? I didn't notice a results question at the end...I saved the updated file to the PV and then flashed this file to the bike. Then I opened the FM file on the PC and compare it to the new file and got the delta results. If I continue to AT it, what percentage results should I be looking at? Should I see a change in every cell?

Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 PM
txlen
Cruiser

I have a question..where do you find this "Log Tuner" software to open the logs with??.. I'm trying to open some logs off the P/V and it tries to save it to my computer..

Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 PM
HDFan0611
Road Captain

Originally Posted by txlen
I have a question..where do you find this "Log Tuner" software to open the logs with??.. I'm trying to open some logs off the P/V and it tries to save it to my computer..
You can download it from the PV website, go to support, downloads, software...then look for PV Log Tuner.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 PM
txlen
Cruiser

I see a PDF file called Log Tuner but no program there...

Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 PM
HDFan0611
Road Captain

There are 3 software links, PV 32 bit, PV 64 Bit and the PV log tuner software...download it clicking the icon on the right....then below are the pdf manuals.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
When you say locked, do you mean you cannot edit them? One thing I don't care for in the software is that the default file locations are hidden and have special permissions set. I don't use them and save my tunes to another location of my choosing. I can easily find them via explorer or other methods. If you haven't already try opening the tunes, saving them to a new location, and then copying.

By locked can only work them on my old computer. Flash drive does not work going to try right now to put them on PV then to new computer. Will note here if it works or not.

NOTE.. I took tunes from old computer put on PV then to new computer and I can open them now on new computer. Old logs and stuff is still locked but really I don't need them.

Last edited by Sam2010; 02-07-2013 at 02:58 AM. Reason: to add information
Old 02-07-2013, 03:18 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam2010
Does anybody know how to un lock the tunes? I have got new computer and can not get to my tunes that I have made. I get on my old laptop with them but can not figure out how to unlock them. Have not tried but one work around maybe to put tunes on power vision then put them on my new computer? Has anyone else changed computers and had tunes locked?
This is a stupid Windows problem. I had same issue. Do a Google for "Take Ownership" program, it's free. Download, then start "right-clicking" on folders and files and you will see an option to "Take Ownership." I save all my tunes, etc. to the desktop, do the TO thing, then move them where I want. PITA but works. Thx Microsoft! Hope this helps.

TedMan

Old 02-07-2013, 03:50 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by txlen
That's what you want it to do. It's only an excel spreadsheet. LogTuner just lets you import your starting tune and logs so it can create a new/updated tune based on what's contained in the logs. If all you want to do is review the logs then grab the logs off the PV with WinPV and it should drop it to whatever folder you designate or the desktop.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:06 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The prices on the PV sure have dropped you can get them as low as $430 shipped. I hope things work out where I can get one shortly.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread