Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:24 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default +1 On That...

Originally Posted by SquidHead
Another question about Autotune Basic:

After each session, I export the learned values to a slot on my PV, then flash that tune. The next session will be from that new tune.

Once every few sessions, I upload the tune to Win PV and compare it to the previous sessions to be sure something is actually happening.

I've read here where Jamie and others recommend running at least 3 sessions, but don't understand if that means 3 sessions before exporting learned values into a new tune, or if that means 3 times of what I'm doing now.

How are you guys applying the learned values?
I agree with the other respondant to your question.
I do an autotune run of 30 miles or so (mixed city, country, freeway); export the learned tune; and then immediately autotune that new learned tune running the route back home again.

As posted above, I've found excellent results in doing it that way. Like you, I think it improves the tune that much quicker. Works for me.

I find this particularly effective to just do that commuting back and forth to/from work.

Let's see ride to work; tune on the way -- great.
Ride back home; improving on the tune -- even greater.
Load new tune into WinPV and check improvement -- priceless...

Good luck.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:54 PM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my PV today and couldn't be happier with the how easy the unit itself is to operate.
I do have a question about WinPV software if someone could offer some advice.
I followed the manual and went to Computer>Programs>Powervision and then made the appropriate files labeled Stock Files, Tune Files, and Values Files, saved a copy of my stock tune and a copy of the FuelMoto tune in the correct folders. When I try to find them by going through Computer or My Documents the folders are there but all are empty. When I run the WinPV software and hit OPEN all the folders are accessible and have the appropriate tunes saved to them.
Why aren't they visible without running the WinPV software?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master

Originally Posted by Nocturnalnature
Got my PV today and couldn't be happier with the how easy the unit itself is to operate.
I do have a question about WinPV software if someone could offer some advice.
I followed the manual and went to Computer>Programs>Powervision and then made the appropriate files labeled Stock Files, Tune Files, and Values Files, saved a copy of my stock tune and a copy of the FuelMoto tune in the correct folders. When I try to find them by going through Computer or My Documents the folders are there but all are empty. When I run the WinPV software and hit OPEN all the folders are accessible and have the appropriate tunes saved to them.
Why aren't they visible without running the WinPV software?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
I think I solved my own problem.
Instead of making the folders under Computer, I made them in My Documents. They now show up in WinPV as well as when i just open My Documents whereas before I had to open WinPV to make sure they were saved. It was a trivial thing but i like being able to open up a seperate window With WinPV running to make sure the file saved.
I did notice the Original file that was saved from my ECM as a STK. file is considereably larger than the copy of the same file saved as a PVT. file.
Is this normal or am I missing some essential data from the tunes I saved?
Lastly, I notice the Knock Control is set to zero on the map FuelMoto loaded for me. I thought my 2011 Blackline had this feature so should I enable it? I am confused.

Last edited by Nocturnalnature; 01-29-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 PM
scooterbum46
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Got the goodies from FuelMoto a couple of weeks ago (Jackpot head pipe, AC and PV) - note that exhaust components ship separate, come from the left coast...

Loaded the FM supplied tune, went on 100 mile ride, could not believe the difference in both performance and heat reduction - critical for riding here in FL. The first AT generated tune had flat spot off idle, second time I started it, it coughed back and just be shear luck I noticed a rubber cap rolling on the cement. Had to pull the tank to find it's home (on throttle body - looked through entire shop manual, couldn't find reference, but it's obviously a vacuum gauge tap).

I'm now on the 4th AT generated tune, deltas are getting smaller, I set up one of the gauges to show throttle opening percentage and used that to help cover some of the areas - I've got a flat, straight road about 20 miles long that is useful...Went on a 240 mile trip 2 up and got in the area of 40 mpg....rolling at and above legal speeds..

My only wishes are that the PV used a brighter (like perhaps an OLED) display and that PV setup could be done with it plugged into the laptop, instead of on the bike. Other than that, can't believe the difference in performance over stock.. Friends immediately noticed the change in sound of the engine ("sounds crisper")

Last edited by scooterbum46; 01-29-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 AM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Couple of Thoughts

I did notice the Original file that was saved from my ECM as a STK. file is considereably larger than the copy of the same file saved as a PVT. file.
Lastly, I notice the Knock Control is set to zero on the map FuelMoto loaded for me. I thought my 2011 Blackline had this feature so should I enable it? I am confused.
The file format in the OEM.stk file is larger than the PV.pvt file system, it's normal.

The Knock Control on my maps are all on (1). I checked 6 different maps downloaded from the DynoJet PV site; one I received from FM; and four I've developed for my own use -- all have the KC switched on (1).

My advice: go to the DJ site, look up your machine, download some tunes and look at them in WinPV; or call Jaime at FM... Good luck.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:18 AM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master

Originally Posted by JetD
The file format in the OEM.stk file is larger than the PV.pvt file system, it's normal.

The Knock Control on my maps are all on (1). I checked 6 different maps downloaded from the DynoJet PV site; one I received from FM; and four I've developed for my own use -- all have the KC switched on (1).

My advice: go to the DJ site, look up your machine, download some tunes and look at them in WinPV; or call Jaime at FM... Good luck.
Thanks for the reply!
I downloaded a Dynojet map to compare to the stock tune and it didn't have knock control either. When doing a Delta comparison in Pro setting, all maps I have checked thus far are missing several fields that are included within the HD stock map (knock control being one of them).
Guess its time to call the FuelMoto guys to see what up since i don't want to grenade my engine.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 AM
JeffKill
Tourer

Thanks for the reply!
I downloaded a Dynojet map to compare to the stock tune and it didn't have knock control either. When doing a Delta comparison in Pro setting, all maps I have checked thus far are missing several fields that are included within the HD stock map (knock control being one of them).
Guess its time to call the FuelMoto guys to see what up since i don't want to grenade my engine.
Have you used the "Update tune using PV" option in WinPV yet? It makes quite a few more options available for tuning.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,160 Likes on 1,354 Posts

An .stk and a .pvt are completely different files, I'll explain. The .stk is a backup of the entire binary from your ECM, while a .pvt is the Power Vision calibration specifically. Also note different versions of firmware and software have allowed differences in the specific tables exposed in WinPv, as well as the tune items accessed in Quick Tune on the PV display. To ensure you have the current stuff, simply run the update client and make sure everything is up to date, then open your calibration in WinPv and go to PowerVision>Update Tune Using PV and it will automatically update your tune.

**Note** while it may bring forth and expose new tables in WinPv in some calibrations, on others it may remove tune items as it moves them to the PV display under Quick Tune. Some common tables that have been moved to Quick Tune on several cal levels are Automatic Compression Releases, Speedo Calibration, and some of the switches such as Knock Control and Closed Loop. Hope this info helps...

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 AM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master

Originally Posted by JeffKill
Have you used the "Update tune using PV" option in WinPV yet? It makes quite a few more options available for tuning.
You guessed it! I got in touch with the good folks over at FuelMoto this morning and they walked me through it.
I think I'm good to go for now. Got the tunes loaded, ECM flashed, copies saved on computer and disc. Now I just gotta wait another month for all the salt to get washed off the road so I can ride the freakin thing. Haven't even seen how it runs and I wanna Autotune!
I can see this is going to be a sickness

Old 01-30-2013, 02:22 PM
RJHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many auto tunes are typically needed before you see no more improvement?

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread