Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:03 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdc rider
Thanks guys, finally got it download and update. now to get some logs in tomorow before it rains for the next 5 days
Make sure you put all your logs and updates on a flash drive just in case your computer takes a dump on you. Or you can email them to yourself on a one of the free email providers. Let them store the crap for you for free. I do both in case I lose the flash drive.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:55 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
OTF, it's pretty common to hit the 127.5 limit with good mods. Your VE profiles look similar to mine. What I've read about the CDE/EGR tuning is that you should only touch those after you have your VE's dialed in. That way you're not chasing two variables at the same time. When I got my initial tune from FM, some of the cells were maxed and the PV adjusted my CI and VE's accordingly (103 to 110). After changing my mufflers, CE's maxed again in a couple of cells and I'm now bumped to 115 and it seems to be enough. Also, where you're hitting 127.5 on your tables are higher than CDE is supposed to influence (>60 KPa), so it won't help to bring those down. In summary, get your VE's dialed in first using the normal sample/correct approach and then once that is done, test the CDE changes to see what impact they have.
Hey Mark, MAYBE, you may wish to rethink the dialing in the VEs before working the charge dilution. I do NOT own a PV, so bear with me here. On a TTS, we dial the EGRs right from the jump. I start like after the second or third v-tune run. Increasing the CI does a whole lotta things that that one doesn't wish nor need. I was shooting the BS with Lonewolf and this came up. He is even more aggressive than I am on when to start with the EGR tables.

You really need to remember this: I have seen the actual Delphi program that is the developers copy. It has over 120 things one can alter/tables/whatever. The tuning companies pick and choose what things are visable and usable by us. The rest? These become the mysterious 'hidden settings".

When you increase the CI, these hidden settings get out of whack. You REALLY DO wish to stay as close to the calibration's CI settings as possible.

So... us that use the TTS, have found the best route to be working the EGRs as soon as practical to keep the CI from becoming too large.

115 CI when running a 103 is really really not where it is at. If you dialed in the EGRs and you STILL need to go that much over the CI... you need a different base cal. 10% is about where I, myself, become uncomfortable with the cal.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 12-01-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:35 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
Hey Mark, MAYBE, you may wish to rethink the dialing in the VEs before working the charge dilution. I do NOT own a PV, so bear with me here. On a TTS, we dial the EGRs right from the jump. I start like after the second or third v-tune run. Increasing the CI does a whole lotta things that that one doesn't wish nor need. I was shooting the BS with Lonewolf and this came up. He is even more aggressive than I am on when to start with the EGR tables.

You really need to remember this: I have seen the actual Delphi program that is the developers copy. It has over 120 things one can alter/tables/whatever. The tuning companies pick and choose what things are visable and usable by us. The rest? These become the mysterious 'hidden settings".

When you increase the CI, these hidden settings get out of whack. You REALLY DO wish to stay as close to the calibration's CI settings as possible.

So... us that use the TTS, have found the best route to be working the EGRs as soon as practical to keep the CI from becoming too large.

115 CI when running a 103 is really really not where it is at. If you dialed in the EGRs and you STILL need to go that much over the CI... you need a different base cal. 10% is about where I, myself, become uncomfortable with the cal.
Thanks - I'll look into this a bit more.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:31 AM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wurk_truk

I agree. Changing the CI affects the entire map and all it's inner workings. Whereas working the EGR affects the area it's intended to. On a basic Stage 1 or a Stage 1 with cams even, hitting the 127 shouldn't happen much. If it does, I would be looking for a leak next, before jumping right into bumping the CI. Bumping the CI without first trying to isolate the problem is just a bandaid fix. The tune would still not be right.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:36 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

I've got ridge right at 1500 rpm that I'll try to work out with the CDE table, but my VE peaks are at 3500 rpm and 80 Kpa; VE's are evenly high from 3000 to 4000 around that and across Kpa cells. It was my understanding CDE won't impact that too much. After swapping to a quiet baffle, my high VE dropped a bit and I was able to reduce CI to 108 and now my peak VE is just at 119 - which doesn't seem too bad.

I did look at the TTS EGR tuning but it seems the approach is a bit different - hopefully, DJ will come out with something on this soon.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 12-04-2012, 06:41 PM
bohica48
Cruiser

I've got ridge right at 1500 rpm that I'll try to work out with the CDE table, but my VE peaks are at 3500 rpm and 80 Kpa; VE's are evenly high from 3000 to 4000 around that and across Kpa cells. It was my understanding CDE won't impact that too much. After swapping to a quiet baffle, my high VE dropped a bit and I was able to reduce CI to 108 and now my peak VE is just at 119 - which doesn't seem too bad.

I did look at the TTS EGR tuning but it seems the approach is a bit different - hopefully, DJ will come out with something on this soon.

Thanks for the feedback!
I too am waiting on DJ to address the the CDE tables with tuning. As of right now I'm just leaving it as is.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Kenjr
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bohica48
I too am waiting on DJ to address the the CDE tables with tuning. As of right now I'm just leaving it as is.
Sorry for the ignorance, what is CDE.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:08 AM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

Charge Dilution Effect. My understanding it is the degree that a given air/fuel mixture "charge" is diluted with exhaust gasses from the previous combustion cycle. It will vary at different RPM and load settings and also be effected by camshaft profile and exhaust scavenging.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Kenjr
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charge Dilution Effect. My understanding it is the degree that a given air/fuel mixture "charge" is diluted with exhaust gasses from the previous combustion cycle. It will vary at different RPM and load settings and also be effected by camshaft profile and exhaust scavenging.
Thank you!

Old 12-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Riven02
Cruiser

I dont see this table anyone. Is it not availible on a sportster or am I blind?

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread