Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
If you need help you are welcome to contact us. We need to first make sure you are using the correct calibration for your setup as you have a pretty straight forward combination we have worked with many times with no issues. Also make sure you reset the learned fuel trims. If you need any assistance tuning we can help as well, all channels are open.
I'm using the cal you folks sent with the unit. I made quite a bit of progress over the weekend. The map did need alot of work though in both the VE's and the timing tables. The map may have been for a 103/255 versus a 96/255 but it seems to be working out.

The big question I had/have is how the PV calculates the % it displays after the correction. Does it only calculate the loaded tune map against the AT results or is it a progression of all the corrections stored in the unit?

Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

Originally Posted by stailjim61
I'm using the cal you folks sent with the unit. I made quite a bit of progress over the weekend. The map did need alot of work though in both the VE's and the timing tables. The map may have been for a 103/255 versus a 96/255 but it seems to be working out.

The big question I had/have is how the PV calculates the % it displays after the correction. Does it only calculate the loaded tune map against the AT results or is it a progression of all the corrections stored in the unit?
Just the loaded tune map against your last AT result. Example for one cell - let's say 3000 rpm and 60Kpa. If the tune has a value of 100 for the VE, and during your run the ECM determines that you really need a value of 105 in that cell, then it's a +5% adjustment. For all of the cells that you hit during that run, it will do the same. On the screen where this is displayed after AT, it will tell you how many cells it will make changes to, what the Max % change for those cells and the Avg %. This is not historical, but just what it is proposing as changes.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:30 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

2007 Heritage Classic
96" no big bore yet
AC
Rush Slipons 2.0
HD SE 255 cams

Was hoping to get some insight on what tables affect/reduce the horrible popping.

I made a quick run and the front VE's dropped and the rear VE's went up.

When I exported the data on the road it said 0% average and 10% max. If someone can shine some light on what constitutes "average %" and "max %" it would be great to know.
Your bike is close enough to mine ('07 FLHX with 255 cams) that it might be interesting to compare tunes. Email me your original FM and latest tunes so I can take a look. I would be happy to send you my current tune for a test, which runs great on my bike. Is yours a 176 calibration? If not you'd have to use my tune for reference only, as it wouldn't be installable in your bike.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:42 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by iclick
Your bike is close enough to mine ('07 FLHX with 255 cams) that it might be interesting to compare tunes. Email me your original FM and latest tunes so I can take a look. I would be happy to send you my current tune for a test, which runs great on my bike. Is yours a 176 calibration? If not you'd have to use my tune for reference only, as it wouldn't be installable in your bike.
Yes it's a 176 cal Will send to you so we can compare.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:52 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
Just the loaded tune map against your last AT result. Example for one cell - let's say 3000 rpm and 60Kpa. If the tune has a value of 100 for the VE, and during your run the ECM determines that you really need a value of 105 in that cell, then it's a +5% adjustment. For all of the cells that you hit during that run, it will do the same. On the screen where this is displayed after AT, it will tell you how many cells it will make changes to, what the Max % change for those cells and the Avg %. This is not historical, but just what it is proposing as changes.
I pretty much got all that. That's what I was saying at the beginning. If someone doesn't hit all the same cells on every AT run the % means nothing. It may make some feel that they're finished with AT runs. But unless they validate the actual changes in the new tune they'd never know where and which cells actually made progress or which cells never got touched. I wouldn't rely solely on seeing a less than 5% result as being the end of tuning on the road. Sure, it will definitely be better than the first map but needs to be validated.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:07 AM
switzead
Cruiser

I pretty much got all that. That's what I was saying at the beginning. If someone doesn't hit all the same cells on every AT run the % means nothing. It may make some feel that they're finished with AT runs. But unless they validate the actual changes in the new tune they'd never know where and which cells actually made progress or which cells never got touched. I wouldn't rely solely on seeing a less than 5% result as being the end of tuning on the road. Sure, it will definitely be better than the first map but needs to be validated.
Like a broken record.
Those that want to compare and be able to see exactly what's being changed and by how much, plus be able to control the changes, use the computer. AT is a feature for those that want to tune on the fly without the need for the PC. I have been tuning for almost 6 months and used AT only once just to see what it was all about and decided I didn't like the behind scenes going ons.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:48 AM
bohica48
Cruiser

AT is great but I miss being able to view the tuning runs in Log Tuner. For my next AT run I'm going to use the Log Start feature, I want a record of how many cells were hit along with the hit count. This way I can compare one run to the next and any missed areas of the map.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 AM
switzead
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bohica48
AT is great but I miss being able to view the tuning runs in Log Tuner. For my next AT run I'm going to use the Log Start feature, I want a record of how many cells were hit along with the hit count. This way I can compare one run to the next and any missed areas of the map.
This is exactly what I do just I don't have to do the setup for the tune and it allows for the green screen. Then I just use the logged data in Log Tuner to do the actual tuning.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:13 AM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

Bohica48, good idea. When AT first came out, I was comparing the results of that versus Log Tuner runs. It was way off at first, but DJ took feedback and updated their algorithms such that now I'm confident they are providing similar results. I still take the tunes that AT generates, load them back on to my PC and compare the new tune vs the old to maintain my confidence as to what is changing.

Stailjim61,
I can understand your concern but in reality that is no different than a dyno operator tuning your bike. They need to ensure they hit as many cells as possible, sample the results, update the tune, and resample to confirm. If they are inconsistent in their sampling, the resulting tune is suspect. With AT, I can consistently hit most cells under 4k and 80Kpa, but also do some extended runs up to 5k+ once I have the prior range dialed in. If I can do this consistently, and AT confirms that I've got a max change of 5% or less, I'm confident. I do confirm these on the PC using WinPV though as I want to take a broader look at the new map vs the old.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:05 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by switzead
Like a broken record.
Those that want to compare and be able to see exactly what's being changed and by how much, plus be able to control the changes, use the computer. AT is a feature for those that want to tune on the fly without the need for the PC. I have been tuning for almost 6 months and used AT only once just to see what it was all about and decided I didn't like the behind scenes going ons.
Tune on the fly? Still need to stop and generate a new tune as far as I know. How were you attempting to "tune on the fly"?

As far as the "behind the scenes" info. What exactly did YOU determine was going on behind the scenes.

Based on your limited tuning experience and only using the PV one time, I hardly find you experienced enough to comment on a product such as this. I'm sure the developers have a bit more than "6 months" experience.

Either way, I'd love to hear more about your evaluation of the product. Maybe you know something the folks that developed the PV don't know.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread