Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Riven02
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have mine on order. I didnt go with Fuel Moto, bit too much $$. Hopefully I dont regret that later on. I figure if I dive into tuning a bit I can get it just as good starting with the Dynojet tune. We will find out...

Old 11-10-2012, 12:40 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
No other recent changes to the bike - just the PV tune? Tell us a bit more about your bike.
2007 Heritage Classic
96" no big bore yet
AC
Rush Slipons 2.0
HD SE 255 cams

Was hoping to get some insight on what tables affect/reduce the horrible popping.

I made a quick run and the front VE's dropped and the rear VE's went up.

When I exported the data on the road it said 0% average and 10% max. If someone can shine some light on what constitutes "average %" and "max %" it would be great to know.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:35 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
If you are getting larger peaks or valley's in you calibration below 60Kpa you may want to try the Charge Dilution Effect tables to smooth/flatten them out. If your calibration does not have these tables exposed simply run the update client and load the newest PV firmware (also update the tune database as well) open up WinPv, load your map and go to Power Vision>Update Tune from PV and it will expose all of the newest tables.
I have the current version. Why doesn't this table show up automatically? When I open my cal it's not there. If I update like you say the table shows up. Same WinPV version...what's being updated? Seems like extra steps to take and the need to save the cal again. Just curious what's happening and why the need to update and save the same cal again with the additional table. Am I missing something?

Last edited by stailjim61; 11-10-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be that the calibration you are using was created before the current firmware incorporated these changes/additions. Each time you do an update to the PV you should also update your cal as a way to check for new features. Then save the cal to keep the changes.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:06 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

Originally Posted by stailjim61
2007 Heritage Classic
96" no big bore yet
AC
Rush Slipons 2.0
HD SE 255 cams

Was hoping to get some insight on what tables affect/reduce the horrible popping.

When I exported the data on the road it said 0% average and 10% max. If someone can shine some light on what constitutes "average %" and "max %" it would be great to know.
Average of 0% is indicating that you had equally low and high VE readings - they averaged out equally across your map. Max % is just that, you had some changes as much as 10%. You need to shoot to get your max at 5% or less; ideally with Avg staying around 0.

Also, don't start making other changes until you get your VE's dialed in. Once those are right, then you can start tweaking other things to fine tune.

Last edited by ColoSpgsMark; 11-10-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:25 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Average of 0% is indicating that you had equally low and high VE readings - they averaged out equally across your map. Max % is just that, you had some changes as much as 10%. You need to shoot to get your max at 5% or less; ideally with Avg staying around 0.

Also, don't start making other changes until you get your VE's dialed in. Once those are right, then you can start tweaking other things to fine tune.
If that's actually what it means I don't see how it can be very accurate unless one hits the exact same cells for the exact number of times on each AT run.

Lets say my first AT run I'm able to hit 0 - 4500 rpms and out to 60 kpa.

The second AT run I'm only able to hit 0- 3000 rpms and out to 30 kpa.

Third run is same as second run.

Will PV tell me I'm at 5% after the third run? Yes maybe I'm at 5% after 3 runs in the 0 - 3000 rpm range and out to 40 kpa (PV seen enough corrections to say 5% in that area) but what about the rest of the cells that didn't get hit on run 2 and 3? The cells from 3000 - 4500 rpms and from 40 - 60 won't show a change because there's nothing to compare them to (only hit on run #1).

Basically what I'm curious about is exactly what is being compared to what, to come up with the %? Is it derived from the % of correction from the last run and the run prior?

Hopefully the FM guys will be able to explain exactly how this % is being computed and which cells are being used to compute it.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:56 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

If that's actually what it means I don't see how it can be very accurate unless one hits the exact same cells for the exact number of times on each AT run.

Lets say my first AT run I'm able to hit 0 - 4500 rpms and out to 60 kpa.

The second AT run I'm only able to hit 0- 3000 rpms and out to 30 kpa.

Third run is same as second run.

Will PV tell me I'm at 5% after the third run? Yes maybe I'm at 5% after 3 runs in the 0 - 3000 rpm range and out to 40 kpa (PV seen enough corrections to say 5% in that area) but what about the rest of the cells that didn't get hit on run 2 and 3? The cells from 3000 - 4500 rpms and from 40 - 60 won't show a change because there's nothing to compare them to (only hit on run #1).

Basically what I'm curious about is exactly what is being compared to what, to come up with the %? Is it derived from the % of correction from the last run and the run prior?

Hopefully the FM guys will be able to explain exactly how this % is being computed and which cells are being used to compute it.
For the cells that you hit during your run, it compares the VE values that are set in your calibration against the learned values derived from O2 sensor feedback. To see exactly which cells, compare the new calibration that Auto Tune generates against the prior one used for Auto Tune in WinPV. It's not directly comparing one collection run against another. Are you generating a new calibration and using it between runs or just running multiple Auto Tune runs against the same calibration? You should be:
-Load Auto Tune and run one or more collection runs.
-Use that data to generate a new calibration.
-Load new calibration into Auto Tune
-Make additional runs and generate new calibrations.
After a few runs, you should start to see the Max % decrease from prior runs as the stored VE values are closer to what the engine actually wants; relying less on O2 sensor feedback/corrections and getting it "right" from the values stored in the calibration.

Last edited by ColoSpgsMark; 11-11-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:18 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain

For the cells that you hit during your run, it compares the VE values that are set in your calibration against the learned values derived from O2 sensor feedback.
You're missing the point. If that's true then the % stated at the end of a run is totally meaningless. If it's basing the % on the difference between the last run and run prior (the loaded tuning cal) that's a crappy tuning method. Like I said earlier, the only way that would come even remotely close to being accurate is if the exact same cells, rpm's, map, and number of hits matched EVERY time from run 1 to run last. Then I can see it being a progressive thing happening with ve's dialing in. If the AT runs aren't progressive, and hitting the same areas every time, the % will be meaningless, the way you're describing it. Maybe there's more going on with this % calculation that has been divulged. Hopefully so.

The reason I brought this up was I read quite a few posts of people making quick joyride type of AT runs and relying on the 5% report as being a good tune. The only way I can see that being a good tune is if they looked at EVERY new tune in WinPVto ensure they were progressively working EVERY cell (or pretty much most of them) throughout the AT runs, from run 1 to run last.

Without knowing how PV calculates the % I don't really feel comfortable relying on the % as the tune being good or finished. I guess I will keep looking at each ve table comparison until someone sheds some light on this.

And yes, all mine are based on the previous run. AT run...correct...load corrected...repeat.

Last edited by stailjim61; 11-11-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 AM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

You're missing the point. If that's true then the % stated at the end of a run is totally meaningless. If it's basing the % on the difference between the last run and run prior (the loaded tuning cal) that's a crappy tuning method. Like I said earlier, the only way that would come even remotely close to being accurate is if the exact same cells, rpm's, map, and number of hits matched EVERY time from run 1 to run last. Then I can see it being a progressive thing happening with ve's dialing in. If the AT runs aren't progressive, and hitting the same areas every time, the % will be meaningless, the way you're describing it. Maybe there's more going on with this % calculation that has been divulged. Hopefully so.

The reason I brought this up was I read quite a few posts of people making quick joyride type of AT runs and relying on the 5% report as being a good tune. The only way I can see that being a good tune is if they looked at EVERY new tune in WinPVto ensure they were progressively working EVERY cell (or pretty much most of them) throughout the AT runs, from run 1 to run last.

Without knowing how PV calculates the % I don't really feel comfortable relying on the % as the tune being good or finished. I guess I will keep looking at each ve table comparison until someone sheds some light on this.

And yes, all mine are based on the previous run. AT run...correct...load corrected...repeat.
The % are not for the entire map, but only those you hit during the run. If you don't hit the same cells each time, then of course it's not an accurate comparison between two runs. The intent is to compare the pre-programmed VE values against what you hit during that run. Your confidence will be based upon your ability to hit a large range consistently. Anything outside of that range is suspect.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:58 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,156 Likes on 1,352 Posts

2007 Heritage Classic
96" no big bore yet
AC
Rush Slipons 2.0
HD SE 255 cams

If you need help you are welcome to contact us. We need to first make sure you are using the correct calibration for your setup as you have a pretty straight forward combination we have worked with many times with no issues. Also make sure you reset the learned fuel trims. If you need any assistance tuning we can help as well, all channels are open.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread