Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:10 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Is anyone doing any testing on the MPG and fuel-used gauges for accuracy? I've got four fill-ups under my belt and it's looking like they're 10-15% optimistic here.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Is anyone doing any testing on the MPG and fuel-used gauges for accuracy? I've got four fill-ups under my belt and it's looking like they're 10-15% optimistic here.
The weather has been so crappy in the NE it's been impossible to get much riding in. Hopefully we get some sunshine, some drying out and some mileage to see how the fuel useage gauges on the PV measure out.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

The weather will not cooperate just heard on news we are on pace to be the coldest April on record here. Then the one nice day we had I was re doing a push rod that come loose. I am very anxious to ride and play with this thing.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:43 PM
1hellbent
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm only working on my second tank full but I would say easily 15%.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:00 PM
CrusingHarley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem here, the weather is not accommodating us.

I did notice a small change to the distance gauge (miles). Originally when I did some testing, the readout matched my bike odometer exact. However, I also noticed that my speed calibration was off. After fine tuning the speed calibration, there is now a difference between the odometer and the PV of .1. I will need more miles to test if this is consistent.

I have not forgotten and will post my findings as soon as this weather pattern breaks.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:53 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by CrusingHarley
I did notice a small change to the distance gauge (miles). Originally when I did some testing, the readout matched my bike odometer exact. However, I also noticed that my speed calibration was off. After fine tuning the speed calibration, there is now a difference between the odometer and the PV of .1. I will need more miles to test if this is consistent.
Before calibrating my speedometer it was 4% fast and the odometer 2% high. After calibrating the speedometer is now spot-on and the odometer 2% low. Oddly, the ECM speedometer doesn't jibe with the mechanical reading, nor does the odometer. Now I at least have the mechanical speedometer reading correct, the digital odometer on the speedometer incorrect the same amount in the opposite direction, and I see no side-effects from having the ECM signals slightly off.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:44 AM
dropone
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any news on autotune?

Old 04-29-2011, 02:34 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

The CAN cable and J1850 splitter, both needed to feed the AT-100 data to the PV, are supposed to be ready for shipment at any time. As of yesterday Jamie hadn't gotten any in but he said he would let me know when they arrive. The AT-100 Pro kit and the official-release of the PVTune software should be ready at the same time, which is only a presumption on my part. PVTune is in beta now, but AFAIK only DJ and Jamie are testing it. Jamie is giving glowing reports on it as an effective tuning tool.

The cables can be fabricated, but I haven't been inclined to do that, as I don't want to hack on my existing wiring unless required. Besides that I already have a tune created by the AT-100 when it was on the PCV, so I don't think I'm going to benefit much from it in the short run--so I'm in no hurry. But if you have AT that you were using with the PCV like I do and you're hot-to-trot to get it working, you can extend the CAN cable that goes from the AT to PCV using four wires from a CAT5 cable. The problem with this is that you'll also need the software, which is still in beta and hasn't been released yet AFAIK. The J1850 connector only feeds 12V and ground to the AT-100, so you can splice red (12V) and black (ground) on the J1850 and you're done.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:16 PM
CrusingHarley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick Update

Ok weather broke for today and I was able to get in a full tank of riding.

1. My speed calibration was off. My speedo read slower than I was actually traveling. Changed the speedo cal from 2206 (Stock) to 2270. Appears to be on the money now.

2. Previously I stated the bike odometer and the PV trip miles was off by .1. Scratch that, Both A & B trip miles are on the money with the bike odometer.

3. The PV MPG on this tank was 28% higher than actual.

I will be monitoring the next several tanks and will report back if I see any significant changes.

Last edited by CrusingHarley; 04-29-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:59 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by CrusingHarley
1. My speed calibration was off. My speedo read slower than I was actually traveling. Changed the speedo cal from 2206 (Stock) to 2270. Appears to be on the money now.
Are you sure the speedo wasn't reading fast compared to the actual speed? When I raised my Speedo Calibration value it slowed the speedo. It was reading 4% fast (e.g. at actual 60mph was showing ~62.5mph). If yours was reading slower than actual it would be very unusual.

2. Previously I stated the bike odometer and the PV trip miles was off by .1. Scratch that, Both A & B trip miles are on the money with the bike odometer.
Haven't checked this signal on mine.

3. The PV MPG on this tank was 28% higher than actual.
That's much worse than mine. I saw 7-12% optimistic for MPG on two checks, and 10-16% on fuel used based on four tanks.

I will be monitoring the next several tanks and will report back if I see any significant changes.
I'll start keeping a log on what everyone reports.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread