Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:29 PM
jb7
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Autotune Module

Is anyone using the Autotune module on a 2012/2013 HD Fatboy. There isn't very much spare room under the seat, and no sidecovers to mount the module under.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:19 PM
switzead
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffJA
Well thats weird, what is that "button" then?
It's for resetting the PV if all goes to he'll in a hand basket. Another feature I have not had to use. And hopefully never do

Old 10-14-2012, 08:29 PM
JeffJA
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

gotcha!..has anyone had an issue with it locking up?...ive had mine lock up on me twice while riding, once i had to shut the bike off and re-start it.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:03 PM
txlen
Cruiser

I've read thru most of this and I may have missed over it... what does it do when you take a tune you have cleaned up using the auto tune and then "update the tune thru the power vision" ?? I saw that button up there under the Power Vision tab at the top of the WinPV software.. ??

Old 10-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If any new tables or tuning parameters have been added in recent firmware updates then those new items will be added to the tune you choose to update. It doesn't change any of the values you have.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Charge dilution effect

Today I installed a set of Fuel Moto 3.5" Dyno Tuned Mufflers with the silent baffle. Of course I had to do a retune but the weather was fair and the tuning process fairly quick. I had a chance to experiment with the Charge dilution effects table. The front cylinder was good but the rear needed some work.

This is after the first autotune pass. There is a pretty significant valley/trench right at 3000 rpms. The adjustments were made in the CDE Rear by increasing the 2625 and 3000 areas by 30%.

This is after the second pass. You can see how the 3000 rpms area has improved. There is another valley at 2000 rpm that had to be addressed. So back to the CDE Rear table to adjust the 1875 area by 20%. I decided to leave the 3000 area of the map untouched at this point.

This was the third pass after the changes. Though it's far from perfect it is starting to take shape. At this point I decided to smooth the various areas to make for smoother transitions in the table. For those areas that I could never hope to tune on the road, it was cut and paste time from the original Fuel Moto map. Those areas were: 90, 95, 100 kpa columns, and the 4000 and greater rpms rows.

This is the finished product. I only had a chance to take a quick spin with this map loaded. I was running out of time and the weather decided not to cooperate any longer. I hope to get the chance to get some miles on this tune in the next week to see how it holds up.

Overall the engine seems to run smoother, expecially when trying to fill data in the lower rpm and map ranges. Time will tell.

Does anyone else have any experiences playing with the CDE tables?

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:52 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

Originally Posted by txlen
I've read thru most of this and I may have missed over it... what does it do when you take a tune you have cleaned up using the auto tune and then "update the tune thru the power vision" ?? I saw that button up there under the Power Vision tab at the top of the WinPV software.. ??
It updates the tune to include capabilities (tables) that new firmware enables.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:15 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Delta, no I have not messed with it.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:08 AM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Some Questions

First: much thanks to all those who have experimented and provided so much valued information regarding this tuning device.
I have read every post in this thread over the past several months extracting information points to several pages of guides - thanks for that info that I've been using the last month to experiment with PV tuning.
I think I've run into a situation I have not seen addressed (could have missed it tho).
I've done 7 tuning runs the past week or so; a combination of either AT or datalogging depending on where I'm going and how many stops I'm planning. (e.g.: to/from work; 30-40 miles one way depending, I usually autotune). All total several hundred miles.

The last 2 or 3 tuning session have produced no delta's in the VEs (except for an occasional "-0%", the rest are "0%").
And the last couple tuning sessions there have been no deltas in the front cylinder spark table either.
The rear is a different matter, but seems to be making some progress. Between what I'll call run #1 and run #7 the delta cells in the rear spark table have reduced from 9 cells to now only 4 cells in run #7 with deltas from run#6; and the delta's are reducing %s slowly.

Now the question: I ran some DTCs and PV reports two spark table (I think) related codes:
PO132 / front O2NB sensor rich; and
PO152 / rear O2NB sensor lean.

I have been using the standard PV tune lambda values for both front and rear. Should I vary the lambda values between the front and rear?
Or what is recommended to not have these two codes 'thrown'?
Or is it time to replace the NB sensors?

TIA for any thoughts and recommendations. I'm at a loss here.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:43 AM
LetItRide
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
I started with my original tune as supplied by FuelMoto when I bought my PV, which runs pretty good - but I figured there is always room for improvement.

After updating the PV to allow it to perform AutoTune, I went through the process to create an AutoTunable tune based on my original working tune - and flashed it to the ECM.

Right off the bat - there is an issue, when the bike is cold - I have to be very gentle on the throttle, or else it makes a sound like a wet f*rt and stalls.

Once the bike is warmed up - it seems to run fine, and I was hoping it would AutoTune the issue away. It seems like it only updates the cells when the engine is warm though, so any changes it makes does not apply to the starting condition of my bike.

I have ran auto tune through three cycles now - applying the learned changes back to the ECM and auto tuning it again.

Even after three auto tune sessions, it was still acting horribly when cold.

I finally temporarily gave up auto tuning, and reflashed my original FuelMoto supplied tune - and all is well again, even after the bike's been sitting at work all day in temps in the low 40s.

I'm guessing I need to fix this issue manually - since it only happens when cold, and auto tune seems to have to wait till the engine is warmed up to begin updating the cells?

I haven't exported both tunes (original and latest auto tune generated) to WinPV yet - but I'm guessing that is my first step to see what is obviously wrong with the auto generated tune.

Jim

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread