Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 04:50 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,156 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by tdkkart
Question, if the fuel used/mileage etc needs a calibration factor entered on the trip page in order to be accurate, how can the VE #s be correct??

If the system can't figure out how much fuel is being used, it can't possibly be able to accurately calibrate VE's can it??

Appears that mine was off approx. 9% based on what it says I'm using vs what I am seeing on fill-ups, are my VE's that I've gotten from Autotune runs wrong also??
The trip center in no way affects VE calibration or the tune itself. Trip center is simply a displayed value that is based off info stored in the speedo cluster, PV lets you adjust it so it displays correctly

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Last edited by fuelmoto; 10-03-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:52 PM
skarcher
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tdkkart
Question, if the fuel used/mileage etc needs a calibration factor entered on the trip page in order to be accurate, how can the VE #s be correct??

If the system can't figure out how much fuel is being used, it can't possibly be able to accurately calibrate VE's can it??

Appears that mine was off approx. 9% based on what it says I'm using vs what I am seeing on fill-ups, are my VE's that I've gotten from Autotune runs wrong also??
In my experience, there has been no correlation between trip center settings and the tune process. Coming from Canada, I have to do a correction either to the gallons used or MPG to make it accurate for imperial gallons. I've tuned using log tuner and autotune with and without corrections applied to the trip center with very similar final results to my tune. My results ended up +/- 3% which is about what I end up with any tuning run from one day to the next.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:25 PM
tdkkart
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
The trip center in no way affects VE calibration or the tune itself. Trip center is simply a displayed value that is based off info stored in the speedo cluster, PV lets you adjust it so it displays correctly
So where do the "fuel used" and mpg values come from??
I have to assume that the amount of fuel used is based on injector duty cycle, which I assume is also included in the VE calculations, not??
So if one is off they'd all be off by an equal amount.

It appears, based off of GPS readings that my speedo is dead on, or VERY close, depending on how much you believe GPS readings.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

OK, I did my first auto tune data log session and, as I compare the original tune to the new one, the VE tables are the only thing that changed at all. No changes whatsoever in the timing. Is this normal? Also, I had assumed that it would modify the original tune but it made me save the modified tune to a different slot, so I assume I need to load THAT tune to the bike, and then do further auto tuning from that map? Sorry for the rookie questions...trying to learn.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:45 AM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, load the latest auto tuned map on the bike then autotune with it. I only see changes in VE's also but I am using the basic setup.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:20 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lhgdale
Yes, load the latest auto tuned map on the bike then autotune with it. I only see changes in VE's also but I am using the basic setup.
Basic for me too. Not sure if I can expect to see timing changes or not?

Old 10-04-2012, 07:35 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Use auto general logging and run it through PV log tuner to adjust your timing after you are done with the VEs. Auto tune retards timing 4* during tune runs. And I still like to compare tunes in WinPV to me it makes sense to keep a check on if anything is going astray.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:09 AM
JeffJA
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When flashing the new auto tuned map, it asks to if i want to "reset learned fuel values" or something like that....do i or no?

Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JeffJA
When flashing the new auto tuned map, it asks to if i want to "reset learned fuel values" or something like that....do i or no?
Earlier in the thread I read that someone said yes to that question. I did.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:45 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sam2010
Use auto general logging and run it through PV log tuner to adjust your timing after you are done with the VEs. Auto tune retards timing 4* during tune runs. And I still like to compare tunes in WinPV to me it makes sense to keep a check on if anything is going astray.
OK, thanks. So we still can't make timing changes right on the PV itself? Still rely on a computer for that?

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread