Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Has anyone played with the MPG and fuel-used gauges yet? I've been working with them through several beta-FW versions and I find them to be optimistic. MPG is looking to be 5-10% optimistic and yesterday I added 2.9 gal. when the fuel-used gauge said I had used only 2.6 gal. If I was getting the mileage it is reporting I would be a very happy camper.
I'm using the mpg gauges but before reporting my results I wanted to gather more data.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too am collecting data, but my inital impression is that the MPG and Gallons used is optimistic by about 10%.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:59 PM
CrusingHarley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone played with the MPG and fuel-used gauges yet? I've been working with them through several beta-FW versions and I find them to be optimistic. MPG is looking to be 5-10% optimistic and yesterday I added 2.9 gal. when the fuel-used gauge said I had used only 2.6 gal. If I was getting the mileage it is reporting I would be a very happy camper.

Hi iclick,

I have not completed a proper test yet, but I am using the trip a & b, miles and fuel economy. At a quick glance, I would have to agree with you, mine is optimistic by 20%. When I am able to do a thorough test I will report back.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:32 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the reports on the MPG and fuel-used gauges. When I get some hard data from several sources I'll pass them along to DJ, although I've already given them a general alarm about the optimistic readings. It looks like I'm not alone.

It might be nice to have some sort of ability to fine-tune the results ourselves, too. IOW if we find it to be 10% optimistic, be able to dial-in -10% in some way. Since there's some sort of algorithm being used I would think that could be done.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:38 PM
tex514
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have read 14 pages regarding the Powervison, Power Commander and Auto Turn but most all is over my head.

This is what I want to accomplish. I have a 2010 Softail Convertiable (CVO) 110 SE. The performance over my 07 softail 96 is awesome, lots of torque. I just hate the stock pipes because it sound like a sewing machine. I want to put on V&H Long Shots but V&H does not make a fuel pack for my scoot because they say there is no room under the seat which I agree with. I don't really want to go with the SERT because I have done that before.

Am pretty much of a plug and play person. I was told that once I flash the ECM, I can disconnect the unit, is this true? How about the setting for my application. I still want the performance if not more but don't want to take the chance of possibly messing up what I now have. If it wasn't for the sewing machine sound of the pipes I would leave it alone. Everyone tells me that if I change the pipes then I will have to do something about fuel/air management.

With the PV, do I have to have anything else like a AT? Keep in mind, like I said above, this is a stock bike with the 110 SE. Oh, do I need to do anything with the 02 sensors, like block them off. I do not have a laptop, only a Apple computer.

Any thoughts, impute or suggestions would be GREAT!
Just ordered the V&H pipes this morning and just off the phone with Jamie and he cleared up something for me so I went ahead and ordered the Power Vision as well. In about a week or so will be having some fun with installing the new equipment.

Last edited by tex514; 04-14-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 04-15-2011, 12:13 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any timelines on the AutoTune ?

Old 04-16-2011, 05:44 PM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Has anyone played with the MPG and fuel-used gauges yet?
Been using them around town, but next weekend I'll be doing 800 miles to Maggie Valley, NC. I'll let you know my findings when I get back (a week later).
I've also been using the "engine temp" guage, average readings are from 252 to 258 degrees. Does that sound about right? Keep in mind, I'm in South Florida, it's been about 90 most every day lately.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:19 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by GotMy11SG
I've also been using the "engine temp" guage, average readings are from 252 to 258 degrees. Does that sound about right? Keep in mind, I'm in South Florida, it's been about 90 most every day lately.
Under what conditions are you getting these numbers? I've been running ~225° in the 80-85° weather we've been having lately, but only when moving along at 45mph or greater. Bring the speed down to 35mph in town and 250-260° wouldn't be unusual, and it traffic it'll climb even higher, but I don't get nervous 'til it hits 290°.

An oil cooler will help keep the head and oil temps in control.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:10 AM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Under what conditions are you getting these numbers? I've been running ~225° in the 80-85° weather we've been having lately, but only when moving along at 45mph or greater. Bring the speed down to 35mph in town and 250-260° wouldn't be unusual, and it traffic it'll climb even higher, but I don't get nervous 'til it hits 290°.

An oil cooler will help keep the head and oil temps in control.
Most of my weekday rides have been less than an hour, lately. But next Saturday (the 23rd) I'll be heading to the mountains of NC. First day, 500 miles. 2nd day, 300+. For the next 5 days after that, riding ALL DAY LONG!
My bike has an oil cooler, but I'll keep track of the temps, and report back. Do you know what part of the engine the temp readings are taken from?

Old 04-17-2011, 04:35 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by GotMy11SG
Most of my weekday rides have been less than an hour, lately. But next Saturday (the 23rd) I'll be heading to the mountains of NC. First day, 500 miles. 2nd day, 300+. For the next 5 days after that, riding ALL DAY LONG!
My bike has an oil cooler, but I'll keep track of the temps, and report back. Do you know what part of the engine the temp readings are taken from?
They are taken from the sensor on the front head, so you can expect the rear head to be hotter, probably at least 50° based on IR-thermometer checks I've done in the past.

I hope you'll be able to check the average mileage and fuel-used gauges between fill-ups and compare them to actual. I'm in the process of writing it all down for each tankful, and your trip will be a good source of info. When we've got some input I'll pass it along to DJ. Based on limited testing, right now I'm seeing around 10-13% high on fuel used (three checks) and 7% high on average mileage (one check).

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread