Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:22 PM
tubeman426
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by txlen
Well..I guess I only have the basic tune logger because it gives me no option to switch to Pro ...
The option should be there look at the top, click on setup, then click on options, then click on user level, there will be a drop arrow, click on it then you can choose basic or pro, click on pro and then click on ok at the bottem of the box. You should be all set.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:36 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tubeman426
Does anyone have any advice they can give me?
Thanks...
I was looking into wideband last week, it is a nice idea but I wanted to have just the sensors since I have autotune on my PV. I turns out HD ecm cannot interpret data without the wideband autotune unit. If I wanted an add-on piece I would have just stuck with the pcV.
Anyway we seem quite the same as in we won't be happy until the tune is spot on from a-z, but IMO we are being picky ! The PV adjusts the map in a logical manner so the bike runs PFG in those upper ranges, and how often do we really need full throttle? Mine runs like the dickens in all ranges right up to top speed with narrow bands. Plus I was told the widebands won't do as good a job on the lower ranges so it is a trade-off. Someone else can clarify that but that is the impression i get from speaking to Dynojet and Fuel moto teks.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:44 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by txlen
Ok ... I've been playing with this a bit more.. I printed out the PV Tuner Basic Instructions... in step 2 it says create a value file..open the calibration and under file/save selected values, and select some tables and such.. my prob too is that the "trees" that are supposed to open under each thing doesn't appear to be there...maybe that's why i cannot make a .pvv file ???
You are close , use justdennis' instruction sheet it is all there. it's a fusion of fuel moto and dynojet instructions. just download the file and read from your desktop. https://www.box.com/shared/i66qvn4xf1s2xp7fgy8v

I was in your very situation about 3 months ago when I got my PV you will get it but it is time consuming. There will soon be new software and firmware for the PV which will enable the user to autotune with PV + narrow bands all built into the PV and can be done while riding, create a new tune every 5 minutes if that is what you want without even going home to your computer.
That software is now in beta (testing) form and available by email through fuelmotousa.com or PVtech@dynojet.com

Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 AM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I've joined the Power Vision Ranks

So, I've just purchased a PV and also the Autotune module w/ wide band 02 sensors.

I've installed the PV with no problems and have it all set up. I'm going to play with it for a week or two in this configuration before I installed the Autotune and new sensors.

So, this is where I'm at... again the PV is installed and nicely mounted on my handle bars. I've married it to my bike and have saved a copy of the original tune.

My bike is a 2009 Street Glide with a 120R, an S&S teardrop ac and a Dragos Dragula 2 into 1 stepped header exhaust.

My dealer installed the 120R and tuned it with my SERT on the dyno but at the time I was running a V&H true dual exhaust. The installation of the 2 into 1 is what prompted me to buy the PV, I am tired of constantly relying on my dealer to tune my bike.

Fuel Moto doesn't have any maps for the 120R in a 2009 so I am using the current map the dealer created for my baseline "stock" tune. Honestly the bike "feels" like it runs great. No pops or hesitation etc and much stronger then the same tune with the true duals.

The problem I'm having is I do not know how to interpret what what I'm looking at when I view the current tune in WinPV. I don't know if it has room for improvement, (I assume it does), or if it is a good tune or a bad tune. I'm just too new at this to begin making educated changes to the tune without some advise or guidance.

I haven't figured out how to post a visual of the tune, I can email the tune to someone if they'd like to take a look. (I'm not a Windows guy. I'm running WinPV on Windows 7 running on a virtual machine on a Mac with Parallels.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure if this helps: Name:  ParallelsPicture.png
Views: 302
Size:  194.7 KB

Last edited by dgdamore; 08-17-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

hey guys,

First off, GREAT THREAD! My thanks to all have spent so much of their personal time with the contributions here.

Ok, now that I have my dumb newb question out of the way (see above), I think I am ready for an intelligent question.

How do you guys handle extreme outliers in the VE?

Here is what I am getting from my second AutoTune run:

That looks really small.. trying to post in the actual post (can't believe I haven't figured this out yet)... anyway, you can see the colors... huge jumps from 72 to 114 in adjacent cells.

I can't help but believe that some type of smoothing is necessary.

Attached Thumbnails Power Vision Information Thread-ve-capture.jpg  
Old 08-17-2012, 06:00 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt990724
hey guys,

First off, GREAT THREAD! My thanks to all have spent so much of their personal time with the contributions here.

Ok, now that I have my dumb newb question out of the way (see above), I think I am ready for an intelligent question.

How do you guys handle extreme outliers in the VE?

Here is what I am getting from my second AutoTune run:

That looks really small.. trying to post in the actual post (can't believe I haven't figured this out yet)... anyway, you can see the colors... huge jumps from 72 to 114 in adjacent cells.

I can't help but believe that some type of smoothing is necessary.
What I did was use smoothing within my closed loop range after the first couple of runs - just to even things out a bit. After that, I ran multiple collections and tune updates; but didn't smooth afterward. If I then had some good collection runs, with outliers adjacent to cells, I'd look at how many hits I had in those cells. Most likely, if you have one cell that is an outlier, it didn't get many hits. If I had good hits/data around that cell, I'd select that suspect cell and use extrapolate to guess a good value based on those around it.

Last edited by ColoSpgsMark; 08-17-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
What I did was use smoothing within my closed loop range after the first couple of runs - just to even things out a bit. After that, I ran multiple collections and tune updates; but didn't smooth afterward. If I then had some good collection runs, with outliers adjacent to cells, I'd look at how many hits I had in those cells. Most likely, if you have one cell that is an outlier, it didn't get many hits. If I had good hits/data around that cell, I'd select that suspect cell and use extrapolate to guess a good value based on those around it.
Thanks man... makes sense, and pretty much the path I was heading down.

I am getting all kinds of weird quirks with this PV using the autotune. I dropped the closest MAP from FuelMoto, but my bike was hesitating really badly around 1800-2800... to the point I almost dropped it in a slow left turn last night. I tried to search this thread for answers, but with the thread being so long, it is hard to find clear responses.

I went with a much older MAP, that seems to be working well...

Anyone have experience with finding hesitation? is it VE, AFR, or timing? or is it a mixture of all 3?

Old 08-18-2012, 06:41 AM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tubeman426
Been thinking about getting the wide band tunning kit, is it worth it? I hear you can have your VEs set in about two runs? I got my closed loop areas pretty good with the oem scensors but I think the open loop may be leaving somthing on the table because I cant read my afr raitios? Ive done 12 retunes and it runs good but I feel the open loop areas could be a little lean. So I guess what Im asking is in order to get my open loop areas correct without a dyno do I need the wide band kit or will it get it with the oem scensors?
Thanks...
Tubeman,
You can extend your closed loop area by creating a "test-map" with the AFR (Lambda) set to 0.981 across the whole map. You'll get hits where you never did before. For the areas that you still can't reach, I then manually edit the VEs to blend with the surrounding areas. For example, if after your tuning runs, you're getting VEs of 124.5 at the farthest reach of your sensors, then the next row drops to 98.5, you can safely bump the VEs to match the rest. NOTE: If you are doing any kind of smoothing of the VEs, manual or otherwise, don't mess with far left column. Unless you're having decel issues, don't touch those values.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

OK my fellow autotuning gurus; I'm back from vacation and back into tuning mode. Today I decided to play with my spark tables. Min was set to 1, Max was set to 10. No spark knock hits. Also saved a log to see what was happening. I had some knock, no more than 2.5*. Why didn't autotune see it? Also, when the pvv file is created for this autotune run, is the spark automatically retarded 4* like it is for VE runs?

On another note, if AE is disabled for tuning runs, why do I occasionally see VE on my green screen? Anyone else notice this?

More play time tomorrow, then the trike goes in Monday for warranty work.
Don

Old 08-19-2012, 04:21 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by maddghost
I was looking into wideband last week, it is a nice idea but I wanted to have just the sensors since I have autotune on my PV. I turns out HD ecm cannot interpret data without the wideband autotune unit. If I wanted an add-on piece I would have just stuck with the pcV.
Anyway we seem quite the same as in we won't be happy until the tune is spot on from a-z, but IMO we are being picky ! The PV adjusts the map in a logical manner so the bike runs PFG in those upper ranges, and how often do we really need full throttle? Mine runs like the dickens in all ranges right up to top speed with narrow bands. Plus I was told the widebands won't do as good a job on the lower ranges so it is a trade-off. Someone else can clarify that but that is the impression i get from speaking to Dynojet and Fuel moto teks.
I haven't heard this before, and I've never gotten this impression from talking to FM or DJ. In fact, Jamie says they are durable and accurate, citing that Ford and GM both now use WB's in some of their models. The reason they aren't more commonly used is that they are much more expensive, and the automakers are only interested in controlling emissions up to EPA requirements, which the NB sensors apparently do in most cases. I'm not sure why they've gone to WB's in some models.

I agree that the open-loop range is fine if you have a tune that came from Fuel Moto, but if not or if you change your configuration (upgrade cams, etc.) you will need to recalibrate the open-loop range, and that's where the WB sensors come into play as an asset. Do you still have the AT module and WB sensors that you used with your PCV? If so, it will work with the PV if it is a single-piece module instead of the older two-piece units.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread