Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:18 PM
jbrushoe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RLE
Got my ve tables very close. Now ive started on my timing. I added 3* of timing except in the 100 column and 750-1500 rpm and 0-50 kpa. On my first run there was a few spots where I got a little knock detected, mainly at about 4k. My question is, are you guys letting log tuner tune it back, or are you going through and pulling timing manually. And, if you are removing it manually, how are you going about it?
I let log tuner do it for me, it seems to work really well.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If I don't hear any ping/knock I don't remove any timing. The ECM is set up to remove 8*. I try to make a mental note of my rpm and map if I hear any knock then let the tuner make the change. I might adjust the changes a bit.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:51 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDennis
Yes, do the tuning first to set the VEs. You should do that even if you don't make any other changes. The Tuning basics will walk you thru that. The colors on the Map and other tables just help give a visual of the values. No special meaning other than showing contrast.
Thanks Dennis,

I'm in the process (last 3 weeks) of retiring from my job.. so what little time I have had to ride I am just riding, but as I wind down, or right after I retire, I'll be all over this.

Thanks again for the support!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:47 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I've been lurking around this forum for a few weeks now, having recently purchased a 2011 FLHTCU and installing the FuelMoto 2-1-2 Header, FuelMoto Pro-Billet Air Cleaner, Supertrapp Stout mufflers and a Power Vision with FuelMoto custom tune.

I'm trying to understand how to set-up and run a datalog, since my bike has some deceleration popping and the fuel mileage has gone down the toilet (dropped from 43MPG @ 70MPH to 36MPG @ same speed.

Please keep in mind that while I'm an old Guy and sometimes struggle with technology or simple instructions, so keep comments or suggestions REAL simple.

Setting the Power Vision to Data Log appears to be straight-forward, either by selecting the appropriate signals or using the Settings function and entering the 6 digit code.

My problems seem to be on the computer side, working with WinPV and/or Log Tuner. Despite my efforts over the past 2 1/2 days, I haven't been able to view any of my data logs I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium - 64 bit Operating system.

When I installed the PV Log Tuner it was stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\Power Vision Log Tuner and there are two files: PV Log Tuner and PV Log Tuner 32bit. I installed the one marked PV Log Tuner (not the 32 bit).

When I installed WinPV, it was stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\Power Vision, along with 7 other files (WinPV-ENU.dbx, PVUpdateClient, etc.)

For some reason, the Drivers were stored in C:\Program Files\Power Vision, not C:\Program Files (x86)\Power Vision.

I set-up additional files on my computer in C:\Program Files (x86)\Power Vision for Stock Files, Tune Files, Log Files and Value Files. I went into WinPV, went to Setup, then to Options and entered the same values (file locations for the Stock Files Folder, Log Files Folder, etc. I also changed the value from Basic to Pro.

In order to keep from having to go back to the program files, I created shortcuts for the Log, Tune, Stock and Value Files to my Desktop.

Okay - I connect the Power Vision to the UBS on my computer, then start WinPV, then load the tune from my Power Vision into the computer via WinPV. I check VE (Front & Rear), Air Fuel Ratio (Lambda) and Spark Advance (Front & Rear). I then select File, Save Selected Values, Save in: Value Files (C:\Program Files (x86)\Power Vision\Value Files and I name the file 2011-96-JP212-001.pvv (because I have a 2011 bike with the 96" motor and am running the JackPot 2-1-2 header).

Then I open PV Log Tune, select Options (14.6, 60,185,288, Use H-D OEM O2 sensors for corrections and Use Cell Coloring) and press OK

I press the Open PVV button, which opens C:\Program Files (x86)\Power Vision\Value Files) and my file IS NOT there!?!?!? I then go to the Shortcut that I created for the Value Files, open it and once again, my file IS NOT there!?!?!? But what is this: I see a new message on the tool bar (Organize, Views & Burn) that says Compatibility Files, so I press it and Presto, my value file appears.

I then copy and past the file to C:\Program Files (x86)\Power Vision\Value Files but when go back into WinPV and attempt to Open PVV, the file is not there, so once again I copy it from the Value Files Shortcut and Open the file.

I can now Open Log(s) in WinPV, so I select and open one of the log files created on my Power Vision while running the motorcycle. In fact, I try all 6 of them. The Table show all ZEROS! I hit the Calc Tune button and still, nothing but ZEROS!

Can someone please tell an old Geezer like me what I'm doing wrong????

Old 08-13-2012, 06:32 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by newmission
Alright gentlemen, Here's a bit of an intro and question. My name is Justin. I just bought a 2012 Slim with the new CAN H-D system to of course I was given the PV-2 for it. I have a Big Sucker A/C, and Rush 2" slip-ons.

Here's the Q:

The tune I received from Fuel Moto gave me some strange cam noise I'd say, and I still had noticeable decel pop around 1st-2nd gear 0% TP. I downloaded the map from Dynojet that best fit my bike, and it sounds a bit better with not as much decel pop.

The things is, the two VE tables are DRASTICALLY different! How does one know which to stick with to begin adjusting AFR tables?

On a side note: With NB O2 sensors, will BETA Autotune calculate the remainder of the VE or AFR tables for "tuning"? Or will there be a "gap" from where the NB O2 sensors leave off? I don't think I've read about that being an issue yet.

Thanks!!

Pick one of the maps to start with and go from there. Comparing VE tables alone between two different maps doesn't really mean anything. VE Tables are just one of the things that make up a map strategy. Load the map, tune the VEs to your bike and see how it works. As a matter-of-fact, then you could load the other one, tune the VEs on it and see which you like better.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:35 PM
bohica48
Cruiser

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger
I've been lurking around this forum for a few weeks now, having recently purchased a 2011 FLHTCU and installing the FuelMoto 2-1-2 Header, FuelMoto Pro-Billet Air Cleaner, Supertrapp Stout mufflers and a Power Vision with FuelMoto custom tune.

I'm trying to understand how to set-up and run a datalog, since my bike has some deceleration popping and the fuel mileage has gone down the toilet (dropped from 43MPG @ 70MPH to 36MPG @ same speed.

Please keep in mind that while I'm an old Guy and sometimes struggle with technology or simple instructions, so keep comments or suggestions REAL simple.

Setting the Power Vision to Data Log appears to be straight-forward, either by selecting the appropriate signals or using the Settings function and entering the 6 digit code.

My problems seem to be on the computer side, working with WinPV and/or Log Tuner. Despite my efforts over the past 2 1/2 days, I haven't been able to view any of my data logs I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium - 64 bit Operating system.

When I installed the PV Log Tuner it was stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\Power Vision Log Tuner and there are two files: PV Log Tuner and PV Log Tuner 32bit. I installed the one marked PV Log Tuner (not the 32 bit).

When I installed WinPV, it was stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\Power Vision, along with 7 other files (WinPV-ENU.dbx, PVUpdateClient, etc.)

For some reason, the Drivers were stored in C:\Program Files\Power Vision, not C:\Program Files (x86)\Power Vision.

I set-up additional files on my computer in C:\Program Files (x86)\Power Vision for Stock Files, Tune Files, Log Files and Value Files. I went into WinPV, went to Setup, then to Options and entered the same values (file locations for the Stock Files Folder, Log Files Folder, etc. I also changed the value from Basic to Pro.

In order to keep from having to go back to the program files, I created shortcuts for the Log, Tune, Stock and Value Files to my Desktop.

Okay - I connect the Power Vision to the UBS on my computer, then start WinPV, then load the tune from my Power Vision into the computer via WinPV. I check VE (Front & Rear), Air Fuel Ratio (Lambda) and Spark Advance (Front & Rear). I then select File, Save Selected Values, Save in: Value Files (C:\Program Files (x86)\Power Vision\Value Files and I name the file 2011-96-JP212-001.pvv (because I have a 2011 bike with the 96" motor and am running the JackPot 2-1-2 header).

Then I open PV Log Tune, select Options (14.6, 60,185,288, Use H-D OEM O2 sensors for corrections and Use Cell Coloring) and press OK

I press the Open PVV button, which opens C:\Program Files (x86)\Power Vision\Value Files) and my file IS NOT there!?!?!? I then go to the Shortcut that I created for the Value Files, open it and once again, my file IS NOT there!?!?!? But what is this: I see a new message on the tool bar (Organize, Views & Burn) that says Compatibility Files, so I press it and Presto, my value file appears.

I then copy and past the file to C:\Program Files (x86)\Power Vision\Value Files but when go back into WinPV and attempt to Open PVV, the file is not there, so once again I copy it from the Value Files Shortcut and Open the file.

I can now Open Log(s) in WinPV, so I select and open one of the log files created on my Power Vision while running the motorcycle. In fact, I try all 6 of them. The Table show all ZEROS! I hit the Calc Tune button and still, nothing but ZEROS!

Ranger,
I'm not quite sure of your problem but for me I created a new Power Vision folder with subsequent related folders under My Documents. In WinPV, Setup, and Options I defined these folders to save my files to, I have had no issues doing it this way. The reason I did it this way was if I had issues with the WinPV software I could uninstall it without risking deleting my Tune and Log files. Hope this helps....

Old 08-13-2012, 01:41 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger
Please keep in mind that while I'm an old Guy....
I can relate.

You'll need to have Excel installed or some other program that can read .XLS files. If you don't have Excel (included with Office) M$ has a free Excel reader and Google Docs is another way to read these files. You don't need to view the spreadsheet files in the tuning process, but I like to look at them since they show the parameter relationships in real time.

Save in: Value Files (C:\Program Files (x86)\Power Vision\Value Files and I name the file 2011-96-JP212-001.pvv (because I have a 2011 bike with the 96" motor and am running the JackPot 2-1-2 header).
I have two PVV files I use when tuning: Start.PVV and End.PVV, both in the \Power Vision\Values folder. The first is the one you create before using PV Tune and the last is the PVV written by PV Tune that updates your PVT (tune) file in the next step. I overwrite these for every tuning session, as IMO there's no need to retain them.

I'm not sure, but the first thing I would suggest is to download and read Dennis' tutorial on tuning, which may help. If you want to email me your original PVT (tune) file, the PVV (value) file you created from the original tune, and the CSV (datalog) files I'll take a look at them.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:30 PM
newmission
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JustDennis
Pick one of the maps to start with and go from there. Comparing VE tables alone between two different maps doesn't really mean anything. VE Tables are just one of the things that make up a map strategy. Load the map, tune the VEs to your bike and see how it works. As a matter-of-fact, then you could load the other one, tune the VEs on it and see which you like better.
Hey thanks Brother! (I mean that on a higher level, assuming from your icon you're born again.) You ever consider joining CMA? The fellowship is awesome and encouraging!

ANYWAYS! I appreciate someone taking the time to answer my concerns! I just started learning about "tuning" a combustion engine. Looks exciting! I program PLCs and industrial automation equipment for a living, so I hope to catch on pretty quick.

I found an article on the net that explained VE tables a little better. Before I understood, I figured VE was part of the "user tune" I'll call it. But come to find it's an actual measure variable that takes place in real time according to the engine's characteristics. So VE tables are more measured than calculated.

Am I correct in my thinking now? lol

On a side note, MAN do I look forward to the release of the new AutoTune software!!!

Thank you gentlemen!

Old 08-14-2012, 06:25 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by newmission
Hey thanks Brother! (I mean that on a higher level, assuming from your icon you're born again.) You ever consider joining CMA? The fellowship is awesome and encouraging!

ANYWAYS! I appreciate someone taking the time to answer my concerns! I just started learning about "tuning" a combustion engine. Looks exciting! I program PLCs and industrial automation equipment for a living, so I hope to catch on pretty quick.

I found an article on the net that explained VE tables a little better. Before I understood, I figured VE was part of the "user tune" I'll call it. But come to find it's an actual measure variable that takes place in real time according to the engine's characteristics. So VE tables are more measured than calculated.

Am I correct in my thinking now? lol

On a side note, MAN do I look forward to the release of the new AutoTune software!!!

Thank you gentlemen!
Your assumption would be correct. Glad you found the forum and like the PV. Stick around, there is a lot of good information here.

Where did you find the article on VEs. May be worth sharing.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:48 AM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It's been quiet on the beta updates. I see the docs that were linked have been removed. Has anyone been in touch with the powers that be? When I get back home I'll be doing one more VE tuning run then begin with the timing. For those that have done it, did you set the max spark to 10 and how did it work for you?

Last edited by Delta; 08-14-2012 at 07:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread