Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:24 AM
tubeman426
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it a good idea to smooth the VE's before flashing them to the power vision? What are the pros and cons? I havent tried it before and thought it might be helpfull

Old 08-09-2012, 06:11 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Confusion Re:Decel Popping

I'm not having much reducing my minor but noticable decel popping. I've tried reducing Decel Enleanment by about 20% which had no noticable effect. Also richened up my 20kpa column by about .5 AFR to about 12.5 which didn't seem to make any difference either. Went the other way and leaned it up by .5 to 13.5 AFR and did notice that it got worse. I even richened up my 27kpa column to see if that would make any difference (starting with original 20kpa values from FM tune) and didn't really notice any change either.

Any suggestions? How far can I richen the 20kpa column? I would think 12.5 should be enough.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:22 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta
Dennis, got everything loaded OK. When I open WinPV the drop down menu choice to Update tune using PV, is not present. I copied the file twice to the PV, loaded a tune, still no menu choice. Is there an earlier download I'm missing?
New 8/8/12 BETA version available

Last edited by JustDennis; 08-10-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jbrushoe
I have the same problem. Dan at dynojet is working on new firmware for the pv because it doesn't work on bikes like mine without adaptive control. When he gets that done he said he would look into the update tune issue.
And remember, this is BETA software, report issues to DynoJet at PVtech@dynojet.com so they can fix them. Thanks

Old 08-09-2012, 06:38 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MMXIWG
I'm not having much reducing my minor but noticable decel popping. I've tried reducing Decel Enleanment by about 20% which had no noticable effect. Also richened up my 20kpa column by about .5 AFR to about 12.5 which didn't seem to make any difference either. Went the other way and leaned it up by .5 to 13.5 AFR and did notice that it got worse. I even richened up my 27kpa column to see if that would make any difference (starting with original 20kpa values from FM tune) and didn't really notice any change either.

Any suggestions? How far can I richen the 20kpa column? I would think 12.5 should be enough.
You have done the right things and in my experience 12.5 would normally stop the decel popping. You should target the RPM area where the popping is occurring. Of course, it you have another problem that is not fuel related, you are only masking the issue. The biggest cause of decel popping is exhaust leaks. Be sure to check all clamps and if you have changed exhausts, be sure to use new gaskets.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:56 AM
JeffKill
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Teardrop
When doing tuning runs should I make sure the VE tables are dialed in before I let it change the spark tables? Also if I tune using the new Beta autot tune will it only edit the tables I want it to edit??
I emailed Dan @ dynojet the same question. He said it was completely up to me, but that he preferred to "nail down the fuel, then attack the spark side of the equation".

So for now Im just working on getting the VE tables right, then I'll do spark after that.

And yes, autotune will only edit what you tell it to. If you don't want any spark learning to happen, go into the autotune settings (on the pv) and make sure "max spark learn" is set to 0.00. This way it will only update the VE tables.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:13 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDennis
You have done the right things and in my experience 12.5 would normally stop the decel popping. You should target the RPM area where the popping is occurring. Of course, it you have another problem that is not fuel related, you are only masking the issue. The biggest cause of decel popping is exhaust leaks. Be sure to check all clamps and if you have changed exhausts, be sure to use new gaskets.
Thanks. I did use new screaming eagle gaskets when I installed the exhaust and checked for tightness again after a few days of riding. I'm pretty sure that I have no leaks.

Again, this is minor and is not loud popping or backfiring but how low an AFR would be safe for testing in the affected RPM range?

Old 08-09-2012, 07:27 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in the beta vesrion, my gear selection doesnt display a number,, im also thinking when i select datalog screen and i usually monitot knock F & R it also doesnt display when a knock happens... have a 2011 FLHX.... i had an occasional knock but none since i upgrade to beta version.. will update the PV now with the latest version and try it out...
when i tried to Data log, i entered code 319247 and then selected auto tune, basic,selected my tune, then datalog, i got a ECU error.. i stopped there.. didnt want to mess anything up on my ECM... bike was running when i did this...

Old 08-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by papifun
when i tried to Data log, i entered code 319247 and then selected auto tune, basic,selected my tune, then datalog, i got a ECU error.. i stopped there.. didnt want to mess anything up on my ECM... bike was running when i did this...
Did you do: If you experience problems with a function on the Power Vision immediately go to "Settings > Enter Code". Enter the code 138480, and then exit out of sub-menus and remove the PV from your bike. Plug in the PV to your computer via USB, and then use WinPV to download the "systemlog.xxx" with the "Get ECM Data" function. Save this file locally, and then email it to PVtech@dynojet.comwith the subject “PV BETA Help”.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:56 AM
jbrushoe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by papifun
in the beta vesrion, my gear selection doesnt display a number,, im also thinking when i select datalog screen and i usually monitot knock F & R it also doesnt display when a knock happens... have a 2011 FLHX.... i had an occasional knock but none since i upgrade to beta version.. will update the PV now with the latest version and try it out...
You don't have to enter code 319245 any more to save a log. If your in auto tune and you want to save a data log just select the log start button. You only need to do that if you want to use the old method of tuning with pv log tuner.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread