Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 07:53 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Thanks Dennis,

Dennis, thanks for you thoughtful reply.

So it sounds like I definitely need to leave the closed loop world to get to richer AFR that will cool my engine down to the nice running temps I previously got with the PCIII. Staying in closed loop is just going to keep the bike running in that lean mode.

Dennis you are suggesting I get the VE tables right using the tune method. Would you think they would be far off with the canned map that FM sent me? Although I am enough of a geek squad guy to want to do it anyway.

I may give a new map a try with the current VEs and set my AFRs down in the 14.2 range to see what that does for me.

I think I'll also try to import my previous map and see how that runs. It's a good thing I'm retiring at the end of the month, I can tell I will need the time to play with this new toy.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:54 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta
I'd like to see your AFR map. Might even try it on the trike. Thank for the offer.
Here is what my current AFR map looks like. For what it is worth.

Attached Thumbnails Power Vision Information Thread-open-loop-afr.jpg  
Old 08-03-2012, 07:57 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member

I'd like to see it too Dennis if you can post it here? Sounds like you and I are on the same page as it goes to goals of getting the tune richer to cool down the bike and give it more lower end grunt.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:06 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oldhippie
Dennis, thanks for you thoughtful reply.

So it sounds like I definitely need to leave the closed loop world to get to richer AFR that will cool my engine down to the nice running temps I previously got with the PCIII. Staying in closed loop is just going to keep the bike running in that lean mode.

Dennis you are suggesting I get the VE tables right using the tune method. Would you think they would be far off with the canned map that FM sent me? Although I am enough of a geek squad guy to want to do it anyway.

I may give a new map a try with the current VEs and set my AFRs down in the 14.2 range to see what that does for me.

I think I'll also try to import my previous map and see how that runs. It's a good thing I'm retiring at the end of the month, I can tell I will need the time to play with this new toy.
I would definitely do the tuning first to get the VEs set to match how your bike flows air. No two bikes are exactly alike and tuning the VEs to match your bike bike will even make the canned map work better. The VE values are the basis of the tune. It tells the ECM how much air your bike flows based on the setup you have and the ECm uses those values in the fuel delivery calculation.

The first thing I did for an open loop map was what you described. I set my AFR in the cruise range to 14.2 and tried. It worked and so I began to fine tune it. I posted a pic of my current AFR in a post before this one. It works well for me. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:22 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MMXIWG
I wouldn' mind seeing your AFR map as well just for educational purposes. I'm still getting some decel popping and lowering the DE by 20% did make any real change. My 20kpa column is 13.0 about halfway up the RPM range then 12.5 the rest of the way. Not sure how much I should try enriching it or whether or not I need to tweak my 27kpa column which 14.6 or 14.5 most of the way up. I'm at work right now so I don't have access to my tune right now.
I posted my AFR map a few posts up. You can see the first column where I extended the richer settings to get rid of decel pop. Identify where it is popping anc you can tweak that area.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:07 PM
jessefordham
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I have been logging and adjusting my settings with the Log Tuner. What really is the gain to get AT added to the PV? I'snt its purpose is to auto tune your map, like with a PC5? If you can just data log and make changes in PV log tune I just dont see the need to spend another $300 on them.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:30 PM
jeffc68
Tourer

Anyone have a tune for a 2012 Road Glide with v&h power duals w/monster round slip ons and SE Aircleaner?

Old 08-04-2012, 06:31 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by JustDennis
Here is what my current AFR map looks like. For what it is worth.
Sorry of this is explained elsewhere but what does the color code in the map indicate?

That looks like a nice rich map you got there.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:10 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by JustDennis
I would definitely do the tuning first to get the VEs set to match how your bike flows air. No two bikes are exactly alike and tuning the VEs to match your bike bike will even make the canned map work better. The VE values are the basis of the tune. It tells the ECM how much air your bike flows based on the setup you have and the ECm uses those values in the fuel delivery calculation.

The first thing I did for an open loop map was what you described. I set my AFR in the cruise range to 14.2 and tried. It worked and so I began to fine tune it. I posted a pic of my current AFR in a post before this one. It works well for me. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Dennis, this is excellent info and just what I need to get started. So get the VEs right! Will do.

Now, is it the Power Vision Tuning Basics that will guide me through that process? (in your sig)

Thanks again for the hand holding.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Otto626
Intermediate

I'm starting to get my head wrapped around this. I have watched at least a dozen different tutorials on logging and there are differences on every one. I have questions, so I will post them one or two at a time so this doesn't get out of hand.

I have a custom tune from Fuel Moto and Dynojet. The Fuel Moto tune is a bit more generic as they didn't have one for my exact exhaust system. I ran my bike with the Fuel Moto tune and while it runs fine, there is a lot of shifting and decel popping. I have not ran the Dynojet map yet, but I intend to today. The Dynojet tune has the correct exhaust and intake data.

My first question is:
When tune logging, am I supposed to calculate tune with a value file from the original tune, or the tune setup for logging (14.6 AFR...-4 degrees Spark...etc.) in other words, do I save the value file in its original form or save it after I have set the tune up for logging?

Otto

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread