Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Very cool!! Just made the WinPV and PV software updates. Very easy following the onscreen instructions. Retained all my existing setup and tune files. I like the addition of the Instant MPG and the groups of measures for Trip A and Trip B. Very useful.

I'm using the 4-pack of guages with a white background and dark lettering for daytime and a 4-pack of gauges with a dark background and orange letters for nighttime. Very visible even in bright daylight although the screen is not as bright as my Garmin Zumo.

Right now I have the 4-pack gauges setup with Engine Temp in the upper left of the display, Instant MPG in the upper right, Avg mpg in the lower right and Throttle Position (for now) in the lower left.

I've also come to REALLY like the Delta feature in WinPV for comparing tune files. Very fast and easy for comparing changes between 2 separate tune files.

I also really like the fact that the PV now boots up on the bike to the same screen it was on when it was shutdown. Very nice.

Are there any other significant features in this update that I should take notice of?

Old 04-09-2011, 10:39 AM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GotMy11SG
Part of the update involves "recovery mode", so the PV has to be connected.
Is there any other way? What would you be updating if you didn't have the PV connected?

They appear to have fixed the (my) problem today. I also notice that the available updates now include an "Old Placeholder" version, which I assume will enable you to revert back to your previous version if something goes wrong - good idea.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:00 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

They're still having trouble with the Update Client, but it is apparently limited to the first slot, which doesn't work and is marked as a "placeholder," so just avoid that one. They've put the WinPV update in the second slot and we can use that. AFAIK everything else works.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:03 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
Iclick... I really glad you are having fun with this new tuner and it IS encouraging to see Jamie posting on YOUR thread.
I expected him to contribute actively and am glad he is, as he's the expert around here. One day we may have more than one expert if DJ starts to contribute. Right now they're up to their ears in alligators, as we say down here, trying to get everything going with PV and I don't expect direct involvement from them for a while. In the meantime Jamie's da man for all the problems we can't deal with ourselves.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:09 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by badjustbad
I think they are still having problems. I see the updates but when I select the "Install this first" 1.0.20 64bit patch it asks me to "Please connect your Power Vision to your PC... yada yada.". I can select and install the other updates (Firmware and database) without problems, I just can't select/install the "Install this first" patch.
I'm using the 32-bit version and don't see the "Install this first" patch. I installed the WinPV and PV FW updates but not the Datalogger, as I'm not using it yet anyway. No problems yet.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:25 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Very cool!! Just made the WinPV and PV software updates. Very easy following the onscreen instructions. Retained all my existing setup and tune files. I like the addition of the Instant MPG and the groups of measures for Trip A and Trip B. Very useful.
I've been beta-testing the MPG gauges for a couple of weeks now and they work well, but on my bike I think they are optimistic. I hope some of you will check and report back the accuracy of these gauges, as so far mine is showing both instant and average MPG higher than I would expect, and higher than I'm calculating the old-fashioned way.

I'm using the 4-pack of guages with a white background and dark lettering for daytime and a 4-pack of gauges with a dark background and orange letters for nighttime. Very visible even in bright daylight although the screen is not as bright as my Garmin Zumo.

Right now I have the 4-pack gauges setup with Engine Temp in the upper left of the display, Instant MPG in the upper right, Avg mpg in the lower right and Throttle Position (for now) in the lower left.
I'm using the same gauges and color-combos, just in different positions: Engine Temp top-left, TP top-right, Instant MPG bottom-left, and Trip A Avg. MPG bottom-right. The next gauge panel to the right (single gauge, black background) I have Trip B Avg. MPG and the next over from that (single gauge, white background) I have Trip A Gallons used. I haven't tested the new six-gauge, white-background gauge panel and hope it is readable in sunlight. I agree with you on readability, and I too wish it was as bright as the Zumo. It is readable in bright sunlight, except when you're wearing a white shirt and its reflection is seen in the screen.

I've also come to REALLY like the Delta feature in WinPV for comparing tune files. Very fast and easy for comparing changes between 2 separate tune files.
Yes, very useful and well-done. I never understood why they had this feature in the PCIII software but not the PCV, which made it difficult to compare files in the latter case.

I also really like the fact that the PV now boots up on the bike to the same screen it was on when it was shutdown. Very nice.
DJ at least listens to us. Many of us on the Zumo forums begged Garmin to make this feature available on the Zumo but we never got it.

Are there any other significant features in this update that I should take notice of?
In the WinPV "Get Map" dialog you can delete tunes from the PV. That was a much-needed feature upgrade.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:28 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by badjustbad
Is there any other way? What would you be updating if you didn't have the PV connected?
I use the Update Client without the PV attached all the time on this desktop computer. I have WinPV on it and my netbook, the latter being the only computer I ever connect to the PV. I use the Update Client only to update the WinPV software on this computer.

They appear to have fixed the (my) problem today. I also notice that the available updates now include an "Old Placeholder" version, which I assume will enable you to revert back to your previous version if something goes wrong - good idea.
No, the first slot is the one they're having trouble with, so they put the WinPV update in the second slot and kept the first as a "placeholder." Just ignore that first slot, which should be fixed in a few days.

Last edited by iclick; 04-10-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:30 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

I got this list of changes to the 723 FW that's now available with the Update Client:

Firmware 1.0.3-723
  • Support for HD-CANbus vehicles, including 2011 Softail / Softail CVO Models (requires vehicle interface cable included in p/n PV-2)
  • New channels available for monitoring / logging
  • Instant MPG channel
  • Average MPG, Trip A
  • Average MPG, Trip B
  • Distance A
  • Distance B
  • Fuel Consumption, (Gallons) A
  • Fuel Consumption, (Gallons) B
  • Gear Position
  • If you power off while in a gauge screen, on start up, it will go back to the last used gauge screen.
  • Added new (2) new “6 digital gauge screens”, one white, one black
  • Changed the short names of Spark Knock and Set AFR so they are different between front & rear, easier to identify when reviewing log files. This also rectifies these channels from being “hidden” when reviewing the logs.
  • Added Support for 74 and 204 level calibrations
  • Enhanced support for 127 level calibrations
  • Fixed “write error” on 141 level calibrations
  • Fixed datalogging cap of 2mb

Software 1.0.20
  • Added delete option for tunes in the "Get Tune" dialog
  • Fixed log file import bug
  • Added “Show as AFR” and “Stoich Point” option for Lambda based calibrations
  • Get Tune allows you to delete files from the Tune Manager
  • After selecting parameters for Value File import or export, the selections will automatically reset

Tune Database
  • Includes better support for pre-2008 bikes
  • Over 320 calibrations available

Old 04-10-2011, 01:08 PM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
I use the Update Client without the PV attached all the time on this desktop computer. I have WinPV on it and my netbook, the latter being the only computer I ever connect to the PV. I use the Update Client only to update the WinPV software on this computer.
My understanding is, the PV "brains" are in the PV - the WinPV software is simply an interface to the PV. If you are adding functionality (i.e., the recent updates) you need to have PV connected to your PC otherwise your WinPV software won't have the functionality to interface to. Once the PV is updated you don't really need a PC - its a stand-alone unit.

That is why I was curious about the suggestion to attached the PV to the PC.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:08 PM
harleycat225
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a problem with the data going blank while riding? I have updated mine and still have the problem. While using the gauges I go riding and anywhere from 30 seconds to 15 minutes the screen stays on with the gauges but all the data disappears and the datalog stops. I have to stop and unplug the unit to get it to come back.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread