Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:19 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RLE
Im gonna try a richer open loop map (maybe 14.2 for starters). But first I want to extend my closed loop so that I can get my ve's right. Up to 4500 rpm and 90 kpa it is all 14.6 and 14.5's. I read in youre tutorial that 4 degrees of timing should be pulled when extending closed loop. But is that really necessary if im only changing a 14.5 to a 14.6? I very rarely ride above 4500 rpm, which is the range I assume youre referring`to as needing to have timing retarted. Afr's above 4500 on my map are 13.5, 13.0, and 12.5. 4 degrees of timing would suffice for these ranges? Thanx for the advice man.
And if the richer mix dosent do anything for temps or performance, it at least gave me the motivation to get all my ve's right, and im not out anything. Ive already done several tuning runs and got my 14.6 ve's incredibly close. Youre advice is greatly appreciated.
Changing from 14.5 to 14.6 would not require any spark changes, that is a very minimal change. The biggest thing that will do is put the bike in closed loop. If you decide to change the AFRs above 4500 to 14.6, you should pull 4 degrees or timing but I normally don't recommend narrow band tuning in the upper ranges like that. 13.8 to 14.2 should be a good range.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:23 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
About a month or two ago I mislabeled my normal (leaner) tune (14.5 at cruise) and had to run 13.0 across-the-board on a long ride in about 80° weather. On that ride I didn't notice any change in power (part-throttle response), ET, or OT that what I would normally see--but gas mileage was 6mpg lower. ....
I'm certainly not disputing your results, but mine are different for whatever reason. It'd be interesting to know why. Anyone else have any tests results to share?
I run an open loop map at 13.0 for wideband tuning and at that AFR my mileage suffers as well, so that I understand. However, when I run at 14.2, performance and mileage improves as compared to closed loop 14.6. As they say, results may vary.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:33 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Just a observation. My base fuel moto map in the upper RPM when looking at the data logs seems right on the money I have many data logs now and have had the bike to 5858 RPM. and the new and old VEs are right on.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:46 AM
RLE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustDennis
Changing from 14.5 to 14.6 would not require any spark changes, that is a very minimal change. The biggest thing that will do is put the bike in closed loop. If you decide to change the AFRs above 4500 to 14.6, you should pull 4 degrees or timing but I normally don't recommend narrow band tuning in the upper ranges like that. 13.8 to 14.2 should be a good range.
Thanx man, Ill be givin this a shot.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:09 AM
blklne
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuning question

Tuning procedure question
Do you guys get multiple logs and then use the log tuner?
Or do you do one run at a time, run the log tuner then repeat?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-31-2012, 09:30 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

I do multiple logs. Example I took a ride to Ocean shores that day I did 9 logs. When I did logs closer around home I was doing 5-6 logs at a time. I personaly am able to get better map coverage in multiple runs.

Originally Posted by blklne
Tuning procedure question
Do you guys get multiple logs and then use the log tuner?
Or do you do one run at a time, run the log tuner then repeat?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-31-2012, 10:12 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RLE
I have not tried running in open loop. From what I have taken from what people have said in this forum and others there is really nothing to be gained from going richer than 14.6-1. Except for more stops at the gas station. Guess id have to try if i want to find out I guess.
If you want to run at 14.6 in the cruise range I see no reason to run open-loop. I'm only doing it because I tune with the WB sensors and running CL would mean pulling the WB's and re-installing the NB's, which is a hassle. The ideal, of course, is to have two 18mm bungs on each pipe, but getting that done would be a hassle too.

Why are you tuning in open loop with wb sensors? I was under the assumption that tuning was best done in closed loop.
The only way to tune and run with the PV and WB sensors is to use open loop, as the stock ECM can't communicate with them in any way. The process is to log the 11 parameters from the ECM plus Lambda 1 and 2 from the WB sensors. PV Tune then takes the datalogs and looks at the set AFR (ECM AFR table) and compares that value to the actual AFR reported by the WB sensors, then adjusts the VE tables accordingly using some sort of algorith. At no time does the ECM even know the WB sensors are players either during tuning or running.

When running normally and not datalogging the WB sensors can only display Lambda readings on the LCD display, which I find very useful.

Last edited by iclick; 05-31-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:15 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
How are you keeping current on updates? Getting a notice of some sort?
I get emails when updates are released, and they contain download links.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 AM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I get emails when updates are released, and they contain download links.
Thanks. I pulled the latest firmware. I tried another run using just the AutoTune - working off of the previous .pvv it generated. It was even farther off. Seems they need to work on the algorithm a bit more. I'll stay with Log Tuner for now, but will give AT a few more shots once they sort it out.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 AM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam2010
I do multiple logs. Example I took a ride to Ocean shores that day I did 9 logs. When I did logs closer around home I was doing 5-6 logs at a time. I personaly am able to get better map coverage in multiple runs.
Along these same lines. Are we to assume that if we're using multiple logs that the minimum hit count we set in options is for those logs combined or per individual log. If the latter, there is some value in longer log runs.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread