Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:43 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Tired
Used my PV quite a bit last fall then life events happened and had to put it aside for awhile. Now I can get back to it and I'm trying to recall some things about it. When setting up the tune to datalog, you don't really have to set your AFR to 14.6, or Lambda 1.0, in the range you are tuning on do you? It can be as rich as .981 Lambda just as long as it is within the narrow bands operating range, correct? Or am I all wet?
If your bike is Lambda-based you can run closed-loop when AFR is set to .981-1.02. In the case of older bikes like mine that are AFR-based, only 14.6 will allow closed-loop, but we have an additional Closed-Loop Bias table that will allow some deviation from 14.6. Not much, though.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:57 AM
wein77
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just order my PV and AT, can't wait until tuesday when they are supposed to arrive in the mail.. Looking forward to how well my 12 Fat Bob will be running with it.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:22 AM
fyrmnk
6th Gear

Question for the PV guys. I'm considering the PV, but can't get myself to pull the trigger on it just yet. I only have pipes (2-2), and soon to be K&N intake kit and AC and want to adjust the lean issues.

Torn between just doing XIEDs (VIED) and this... (I know, one extreme to the other).

My question, will I notice a significant difference with the PV over the XIEDs since these are the only mods I have, and all I really need is to richen it up?

I definitely like all I've read on the PV, jsut trying to decide if it will be worth it for me. I like the idea of just plugging and flashing and removing it. Thanks in advance. Kevin

Old 05-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Tired
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,805 Likes on 1,757 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
If your bike is Lambda-based you can run closed-loop when AFR is set to .981-1.02. In the case of older bikes like mine that are AFR-based, only 14.6 will allow closed-loop, but we have an additional Closed-Loop Bias table that will allow some deviation from 14.6. Not much, though.
I should have mentioned it's a 2011 Street Glide. Thank you for the info!

Old 05-20-2012, 11:25 AM
CDFXD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fyrmnk
Question for the PV guys. I'm considering the PV, but can't get myself to pull the trigger on it just yet. I only have pipes (2-2), and soon to be K&N intake kit and AC and want to adjust the lean issues.

Torn between just doing XIEDs (VIED) and this... (I know, one extreme to the other).

My question, will I notice a significant difference with the PV over the XIEDs since these are the only mods I have, and all I really need is to richen it up?

I definitely like all I've read on the PV, jsut trying to decide if it will be worth it for me. I like the idea of just plugging and flashing and removing it. Thanks in advance. Kevin
The xied's cool the engine somewhat. No biggie however. Once I installed the PV, the engine lived up, definately more power and much smoother running. With the right tune, you'll never run the xied's again.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:27 AM
CDFXD
Intermediate

Any ideas yet, as I am having the same concerns....

Old 05-20-2012, 11:29 AM
CDFXD
Intermediate

cancelled

Old 05-20-2012, 11:29 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fyrmnk

I'm well-known for my opinions on IED's and variants thereof, and I always try very hard to mitigate my responses to not come across as totally negative. It's just that these devices are nothing more than inexpensive resistors and do nothing but alter the signal from the O2 sensors to fool the ECM into thinking it needs to add more fuel. What none of the exponents of IED's will tell you is that they richen so much that the change goes beyond the physical capabilities of the O2 sensors and trips an ECM fault code. On most HD calibrations they are historical codes and won't cause the check-engine light to illuminate constantly, just as running a PCV will do when O2 sensors are unplugged (late-model calibrations only), but in the case of the IED the code represents an O2-sensor out-of-range condition. The O2 sensors become very inaccurate beyond a very narrow operating range, which goes down to about 14.4:1 and little more. When you force them to work at a lower AFR the voltage changes induce more AFR change, and the inherent precision of the devices is lost. The ECM isn't designed to run at 14.2, much less 13.8, in closed-loop mode.

Furthermore, IED's won't affect the open-loop area at all--i.e., above about 50% TP or 80-85 KPA. The benefit they may provide is a slight decrease in radiated engine heat from richer AFRs and a slight increase in part-throttle response, all at the expense of lower gas mileage. Going richer in the cruise range is not the panacea for reducing internal engine heat that some think it is. My own tests show that it affects ET and OT only very slightly, even when AFR changes are fairly radical. I run near-stoich (14.5-14.6) in the cruise range at all times and have no heat problems, other than those inherent to an air-cooled engine regardless of the tune. I will concede that there may be some benefit in radiated engine heat, i.e. the baked-leg effect, since EGT's are higher with leaner AFR's. So, IMO the cooling argument is weak, which leaves better part-throttle response as another benefit. I can run a very rich, performance-inducing AFR (13.0:1) in the cruise range and I can't tell the difference between that and my normal tune (14.5). So, how much of difference will they make? I say none, but certainly the benefit would be small, and if there was any at all would that be worth lower gas mileage?

All that said, IED's may have a small market justification for those with stock bikes, but once you go beyond a muffler change (e.g. Stage 1 AC) you'll need help with AFRs in the open-loop area.

The PV is a full-featured tuner but obviously costs more ($500 vs. ~$125). If you think the price disparity is too much, consider the PCV--as for $300 it does a very good job when a good map is installed. Just my 2¢.

Last edited by iclick; 05-20-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:30 AM
CDFXD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
Hey guys quick question, I just changed out my stage 1 air cleaner for a Zippers Maxflow filter (3/4 larger than the stage 1 filter). I just did a 20 minute log run and all the numbers in my VE tables dropped, some by only a few points and others went from 91 to 88. Does this sound right? It was my thinking that if you put in more air the motor will need more fuel and that will equal more power. Thanks for the info!.
any ideas on this yet, I am having similar concerns...

Last edited by CDFXD; 05-20-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: wrong reply to original post
Old 05-20-2012, 12:36 PM
bowstalk
6th Gear

Hi: I have heard of a guy in the brazis bend area . fm 1462, that is suppose to be good with a dyno.
If interested let me know and ill find a business card.
Bryan

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread