Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 11:07 AM
CDFXD
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeiers
How's the bike run now? If it runs fine, use your current map as the baseline. Just go get a good datalog of your current map and then run it thru LogTuner and see how it compares or what changes occur.
Jmeiers,

I am running the same bike and set-up as yours. Would you be willing to post a pic of your VE's, A/F table and sparktables? I have started out with a tune from FM, but for some reason the VE's keep leaning out. At some point they were even lower then the stock tune. The way I am tuning now is, as the bike runs good and no popping, to just eliminate the knock events by lowering the sparktables and leave the VE's. Just curious and wondering about it for some time.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:26 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm toying with the idea of trying a Power Vision mostly based on all the good press I've read here on the forum. But I have a question I have not seen addressed.

I own a 2012 Street Glide I bought new a month or so ago. Dealer had already tricked the bike out somewhat, with chrome controls, chrome wheels, lowering kit in the rear, and K&N air filter on a SE backplate, true duals to get rid of the cat, and 4" Rinehart slip-ons.

Overall, the bike runs and starts well, but it does have some decel popping I'd like to address if possible. I asked the dealer about this, the tech test rode it, and returned to report he didn't think there was anything objectionable about how the bike ran.

I took the bike to a different dealer who volunteered to hook the bike up to their computer via the diagnostic port and look to see if the selling dealer flashed the correct map based on installed components, basically just Stage 1 stuff. The verdict came back as the ECM did have the correct map for basic Stage 1, but also it was discovered that the ECM setting for the automatic compression release was "OFF". The tech explained to me that anytime a dealer flashes a map to the ECM, the auto compression release setting automatically goes to "off", and the tech has to reset it back to "on" manually. Don't know why this would be the case, but that's what I was told. So he turned mine back on.

So this leads me to 3 questions: 1) Will a PV flash result in the same auto compression release setting change a dealer flash does, 2) If it does, can a PV be used to turn it back on? 3) Can a Power Vision even "see" the status of this setting, to determine if it needs to be changed after a flash. Anyone know?

My suspicion is that only the dealer's "Digital Technician" can access this setting.

Last edited by racklefratz; 05-18-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by racklefratz
I'm toying with the idea of trying a Power Vision mostly based on all the good press I've read here on the forum. But I have a question I have not seen addressed.

Here's my question: I'm wondering if maps flashed to the ECM from a Power Vision do this same thing, turning the automatic compression release to "off". I'm also wondering if a Power Vision can "see" the status of this setting, to determine if it needs to be changed after a flash. Anyone know?

My suspicion is that only the dealer's "Digital Technician" can access this setting.
My PV always sets the ACR to on and the EITMS to off. (I always forget to turn it on in the program) It's no big deal to activate the EITMS, it's just a twist of the grip. Just because they turned the EITMS on for you, in my opinion, does nothing to address the pinging. I know that in most tuners that flash the ECM you have to choose how you want the ACR. As far as the PV seeing the status of the ACR setting, once you download it to your computer and open up the file in the WinPV program, make sure you are in Pro level, and select "Limits and Switches". Select Active Compression Release, and you will see the status.

If you can, I would get the Fuel Moto billet stage I A/C and the Power Vision from Fuel Moto. He supplies a pretty darn good map for your specific setup and gives free support. If the map is not quite right, you can dial it in with the PV or do a few data runs, send them to Fuel Moto and they will adjust your map.

The Fuel Moto A/C is a 10 minute job to install, very easy. Good luck.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:50 PM
racklefratz
Road Master

Originally Posted by Delta
My PV always sets the ACR to on and the EITMS to off. (I always forget to turn it on in the program) It's no big deal to activate the EITMS, it's just a twist of the grip.
Yes. I've already done the EITMS thing, just to see how it works, per the manual. It's easy.

Just because they turned the EITMS on for you, in my opinion, does nothing to address the pinging.
Not EITMS, they reset the Automatic Compression Release to "on".

As far as the PV seeing the status of the ACR setting, once you download it to your computer and open up the file in the WinPV program, make sure you are in Pro level, and select "Limits and Switches". Select Active Compression Release, and you will see the status.
OK, that's what I was interested in knowing.

Last edited by racklefratz; 05-19-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:16 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey guys quick question, I just changed out my stage 1 air cleaner for a Zippers Maxflow filter (3/4 larger than the stage 1 filter). I just did a 20 minute log run and all the numbers in my VE tables dropped, some by only a few points and others went from 91 to 88. Does this sound right? It was my thinking that if you put in more air the motor will need more fuel and that will equal more power. Thanks for the info!

Old 05-19-2012, 07:29 AM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done A/C changes (both aftermarket) on other bikes and had very little noticeable change. Also, if I collect on a warm day vs a colder day, I'll see differences. I'd suggest do a couple of collections before you decide whether you need to adjust or not.

Of interest, I would expect that on a colder day, it would tend to move VE's higher as the air is theoretically denser, but in my experience warm days tend to produce slightly higher VE's - not in all cells, but it definitely seems to alter the shape of the map a little.

Last edited by ColoSpgsMark; 05-19-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:25 AM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Ok, i will try a few more log runs. Yesterday was a hot day here in AL. I was just expecting the numbers to go up since the filter flows more air.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:26 AM
racklefratz
Road Master

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
Of interest, I would expect that on a colder day, it would tend to move VE's higher as the air is theoretically denser, but in my experience warm days tend to produce slightly higher VE's - not in all cells, but it definitely seems to alter the shape of the map a little.
I can absolutely confirm that cooler ambient temperatures produce higher air density. I'm a pilot, and pilots pay a lot of attention to air density. "Density altitude" is a term for altitude corrected for barometric pressure, humidity, and temperature, and any combination of those three can drastically alter engine performance, not only aircraft engines, but any engine. It's not uncommon at some higher elevation airports for density altitude to be high enough under certain conditions that taking off in an aircraft is not possible. The usual "Plan B" is to attempt the take-off again when it's cooler, such as early in the morning.

I don't own a Power Vision or any similar device, so the discussion about VEs and how a PV deals with them is unfamiliar to me (I'm learning), but the ECMs in our Harley engines will sense different density altitudes.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Tired
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,777 Likes on 1,753 Posts
Default Question

Used my PV quite a bit last fall then life events happened and had to put it aside for awhile. Now I can get back to it and I'm trying to recall some things about it. When setting up the tune to datalog, you don't really have to set your AFR to 14.6, or Lambda 1.0, in the range you are tuning on do you? It can be as rich as .981 Lambda just as long as it is within the narrow bands operating range, correct? Or am I all wet?

Old 05-19-2012, 06:39 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by lhgdale
Ok, i will try a few more log runs. Yesterday was a hot day here in AL. I was just expecting the numbers to go up since the filter flows more air.
The MAP and IAT sensor should compensate for altitude and air temperature. I haven't seen any change in my VE values lately now that ambient is in the 90's. I wouldn't assume your new AC is more restrictive, but seeing lower VE values would tend to make me think the way you are.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread